HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #2596

Thanks for sharing the below bro! As I am thinking to head to NZ this year. What is the best amount of days to be in town?
Old 13-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #2597

@sann.tiro,

with so many passengers, you are stuffed which ever way you look at it. The easiest way is to hire a van. If each person carries a 25kg luggage, and you split them into 2 vans, each van will be carrying at least (6 X 25kg) + 6 X 60kg weight = 510kg weight for the passengers and luggages.

The van is the best option because you can chuck the luggage behind. There are pros and cons about driving a van.

Pros
a. you cannot speed so, you will drive carefully
b. you can chuck your luggage behind.

Cons
a. you cannot speed because of the heavy load, so have to keep left all the time
b. climb uphill will be a chore as the van is so heavy.

My advice
a. do not hire a Toyota passenger van. Lousy van for long distance.
b. spend some money on a comfortable and more poweful van.

here are two links

https://www.maugers.com/our-vehicles...-luxury-coach/

https://samuels.co.nz/vehicles
Thanks very much for the recommendation. For the 17-seater that you recommended, do you think it can fit my entire tour group (16 pax). Or we should be getting two if this? Website seems to indicate it can take 17pax plus 17 large suitcases
sann.tiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #2598

Thanks very much for the recommendation. For the 17-seater that you recommended, do you think it can fit my entire tour group (16 pax). Or we should be getting two if this? Website seems to indicate it can take 17pax plus 17 large suitcases
You have a luggage problem more than a passenger problem That 17 seater will not be able to take 17 luggages. Can you imagine you restrict everyone to 25kg? That van is only a 3L van only. A Toyota camry is 2.4L and only carry 4 passengers and not even 4 luggages. If you put 17 people and 17 luggages in a van, the van is going to crawl. My advice, the get either a SUV or another 8 seater. Below is an example of a 8 seater or a SUV.

https://www.budget.co.nz/en/cars/vehicles/nz
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #2599
Master Member

maybe a van and an MPV combo? the car is mainly for mobility, if you need to do a quick run to a supermarket or just a small group wants to head out. that way you donít want to keep unpacking the van also.

i would also recommend bringing duffel bags instead of trolley bags as these would be easier to pack in the van.

a day trip to milford sound from queenstown is a 10-12 hour trip, and the cruise is usually under 2 hours. if you are really keen on MS, try staying at Te Anau for a night.

donít be too ambitious, esp with a big group and travelling in winter.

we stayed at top 10 holiday parks during our recent trip. i think they offer good value for money plus plenty of facilities that would be very useful for a large group (communal kitchen, laundry, playgrounds).
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #2600
Master Member

Will like to check for Singaporean visiting nz with tour group for 1 week stay, is it donít need visa? Tour agency say donít need but I tot I read only Australians can go nz without applying visa
hoshiyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #2601

Will like to check for Singaporean visiting nz with tour group for 1 week stay, is it donít need visa? Tour agency say donít need but I tot I read only Australians can go nz without applying visa
Are u a singaporean? If yes, going NZ dont need a visa, unless U are going Australia, then need a visa.
tewem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #2602
Master Member

Are u a singaporean? If yes, going NZ dont need a visa, unless U are going Australia, then need a visa.
Ok. Think I looked at wrong site or mix up with aus
hoshiyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #2603
Master Member

Singaporean. No need visa. Went & came back 2 weeks ago.
BuGGi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #2604

Singaporean. No need visa. Went & came back 2 weeks ago.
Hi. Is yr flight direct or transit in other City?
Musicbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #2605

Found sg to Christchurch return flight at $1093 for July.
Is this price reasonable? Intending to go for a 12-14 days road trip. First time driving overseas and during the winter period too. ><
Apricot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #2606

Is this price reasonable? Intending to go for a 12-14 days road trip. First time driving overseas and during the winter period too. ><
Good time to come if you want to enjoy the winter. All you have to remember is not to drive too early in the morning, due to possibly ice on the road.
Old 21-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #2607

Good time to come if you want to enjoy the winter. All you have to remember is not to drive too early in the morning, due to possibly ice on the road.
Yeap. I heard about the no driving before 10am or after 5pm winter road tips. Will the cold be unbearable to spend time outdoor for picnic or trekking?
Apricot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #2608

Yeap. I heard about the no driving before 10am or after 5pm winter road tips. Will the cold be unbearable to spend time outdoor for picnic or trekking?
not necessary before 10am. As long as you don't slip while walking to the car, you know the ice has melted on the road.

As for picnic, if your definition of picnic is sitting on the ground with blanket on the grass, then no. it is far too wet. On the other hand, if you are talking about picnic in park on the bench, why not.

As for trekking, again I am not sure what is your definition of trekking. Is it a half day walk? a full day walk? One thing you need to have is a pair of good tramping shoes and not track shoes.
Old 22-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #2609
Master Member

The fare to CC is usually at $12xx at above. Any fare below 1k is quite a good deal. Fare price also depend on the date too. Such as eve of public holiday or Fri night are higher. I managed to get a $900 per pax to CC in coming May. Have to fly out SG on Thurs.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #2610
Master Member

why are flights to wellington so much cheaper than to AKL or CHC? on SQ
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.