HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #2656
Arch-Supremacy Member

another question would be...how do we access FG or FJG from Christchurch/Queenstown/Tekapo?

would it be easier to travel to FG/FJG from Christchurch (maybe take TranzAlpine train to Greymouth then drive from there?) or from Queenstown/Wanaka?
From chirstchurch via Arthur's pass is probably a bit nearer than from Queenstown.
Maybe check the distance using Google maps
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #2657
Master Member

Most well known spot for stargazing shld be lake tekapo. At the area in front of the church.
But I guess anywhere that is dark enuf will do. Outside airbnb probably not so good due to light pollution from the airbnb and surrounding buildings.
ok... so joining the tours at mount john observatory wont be necessary i suppose? hoping to save a few bucks here and there...

From chirstchurch via Arthur's pass is probably a bit nearer than from Queenstown.
Maybe check the distance using Google maps
Ic....no wonder I can see why people are not so keen to do the Dunedin loop...since almost everyone will do the FG/FJG loop instead...
MoneyHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #2658
Arch-Supremacy Member

ok... so joining the tours at mount john observatory wont be necessary i suppose? hoping to save a few bucks here and there...

Ic....no wonder I can see why people are not so keen to do the Dunedin loop...since almost everyone will do the FG/FJG loop instead...
I didn't join the observatory tour, so dunno if it is worth. But definitely can see stars even without the tour
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #2659

Hi. Which motel/hotel u stay? Are you recommending it?
I stay at TOP 10 holidays. Since I spend my day heli hiking. Nth much to do in Franz as the self trekking is closed due to the flooding last month
GeraldineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #2660

Hi. Would like to check if it is too long to stay at Franz joseph for 4D3N.
I stayed 1 night in Franz and 1 night in fox.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #2661
Arch-Supremacy Member

I stayed 1 night in Franz and 1 night in fox.
Can just stay at either place to avoid hassle of changing accom, since FJG and fox glacier is just 30min apart.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #2662
Great Supremacy Member

Yup. Don't change accommodation. Stay in either, more hassle free. Don't need check in out etc. Save more time.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #2663

Can just stay at either place to avoid hassle of changing accom, since FJG and fox glacier is just 30min apart.
Yes true.
But for my case cause I did sky diving in fjg and heli hike in fjg
And next morning 8am extreme fox at fox glacier.
Makes more sense for me to stay 1 night each esp after fox I drove to Wanaka.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #2664

Talking

Yes true.
wow, you really max out your time in FG.
The people there must really love you for spending your money there.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #2665

Yes true.
Thinking of doing Heli Hike with my family including 2 children of 10 and 12 yrs old and my mum and MIL. Is there any specific schedule of this activity ? Any good trail to hike? My 12 yrs old Son wishes to do the sky diving. Is there age limit?
Musicbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #2666

After reading through almost 100 pages here, may I confirm a couple of things and also ask a few questions? As I am headed to the South island for 14days in July and will be driving in a Camry(hopefully). This is my first time driving in winter conditions.

1) Are Snow chains only be allowed to be placed when there is a sign that says so?

2) Is it compulsory to put on snow chains once there is such sign?

3) Speed limit after putting on snow chains is 30-50kph?

4) If there is no notice of snow on their MET service for Lindis pass, and upon reaching Lindis pass it looks clear. Do we still put on Snow Chains?

5) My first day upon landing in CHC at around 9am, I will be driving to Twizel. Is that alright?

6) Is wearing a thermal + regular hiking clothes + down jacket + raincoat + beanie be sufficient during hikes at HVT and Roy's Peak?

7) Anyone walked from Wanaka tree to Roy's Peak carpark before? Roughly how long does it take on foot? As we are planning to set off early to catch the sunrise at the summit.

8) Is it advisable to do the Skyline luge with the buffet at Queenstown, or forego the lunch(I have seen both good amd bad reviews here)?

9) If advisable, how many times do you suggest to do it? 4?

10) What is the rough budget to set aside for food and fuel on a 14days trip, I am only driving from CHC - Twizel - Mt Cook - Wanaka - Arrowtown - Queenstown and departing back to SG from Queenstown. My partner and I are ok with cornflakes/oats for breakfast and making our own sandwich here and there for snacks and dining at some normal tiered places (40nzd per pax) on maybe 3 occassion.

Thank you in advance for reading through my lengthy query.
milki3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #2667

1) Are Snow chains only be allowed to be placed when there is a sign that says so?
Yes, you will see the sign for snow chains. Normally it happen at mountain area.

Yes, else you endanger yourself and others. Remember once put on snow chain, drive a bit and alight and check if the chain is ok. Also on snow chain u are to drive slow like 30-40km/h only.

As above.

4) If there is no notice of snow on their MET service for Lindis pass, and upon reaching Lindis pass it looks clear. Do we still put on Snow Chains?
Don't worry about MET online service. Onsite will have notice.

5) My first day upon landing in CHC at around 9am, I will be driving to Twizel. Is that alright?
Twizel is quite far away. My advice is you better off explore CHC and buy food to stock up. Reason is if u gatta trap in the snow, you still got food and water.

6) Is wearing a thermal + regular hiking clothes + down jacket + raincoat + beanie be sufficient during hikes at HVT and Roy's Peak?
Depend on you, so long u got wind proof and water resistance jacket and good tracking shoe who is also water proof is good enough for me.

7) Anyone walked from Wanaka tree to Roy's Peak carpark before? Roughly how long does it take on foot? As we are planning to set off early to catch the sunrise at the summit.
You can use google map to have a feel.

8) Is it advisable to do the Skyline luge with the buffet at Queenstown, or forego the lunch(I have seen both good amd bad reviews here)?
My advice, go for Luge at later afternoon then go for buffet dinner and then stargazing tour. So you get to see day light, to sunset and night view all in 1 go.

No idea what u asking. u mean the number of time for luge? It is up to u.

10) What is the rough budget to set aside for food and fuel on a 14days trip, I am only driving from CHC - Twizel - Mt Cook - Wanaka - Arrowtown - Queenstown and departing back to SG from Queenstown. My partner and I are ok with cornflakes/oats for breakfast and making our own sandwich here and there for snacks and dining at some normal tiered places (40nzd per pax) on maybe 3 occassion.

Depend on the motel you book. Normally I will go for motel with kitchen, so I will buy food and cook dinner and breakfast while lunch I will eat out. Then your spending on food will not be that much, roughly $500-1k for 14 days for 2 will be more then enough.

Remember main supermarket can only be found in cities with cheaper price. So in CHC stock up most of the stuff while fresh food u have no choice but to go from town to town and buy.

Petrol is on the high side compare to SG. So for 14 days drive prepare like $300~400 for petrol should be a good guide.

keigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #2668
Arch-Supremacy Member

The buffet in Queenstown is quite crappy. Got laksa that doesn't look or taste like laksa, sushi made by tiongs doesn't does taste like sushi either etc.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #2669

Yes, you will see the sign for snow chains. Normally it happen at mountain area.

Yes, else you endanger yourself and others. Remember once put on snow chain, drive a bit and alight and check if the chain is ok. Also on snow chain u are to drive slow like 30-40km/h only.

As above.

Don't worry about MET online service. Onsite will have notice.

Twizel is quite far away. My advice is you better off explore CHC and buy food to stock up. Reason is if u gatta trap in the snow, you still got food and water.

Depend on you, so long u got wind proof and water resistance jacket and good tracking shoe who is also water proof is good enough for me.

You can use google map to have a feel.

My advice, go for Luge at later afternoon then go for buffet dinner and then stargazing tour. So you get to see day light, to sunset and night view all in 1 go.

No idea what u asking. u mean the number of time for luge? It is up to u.

Depend on the motel you book. Normally I will go for motel with kitchen, so I will buy food and cook dinner and breakfast while lunch I will eat out. Then your spending on food will not be that much, roughly $500-1k for 14 days for 2 will be more then enough.

Remember main supermarket can only be found in cities with cheaper price. So in CHC stock up most of the stuff while fresh food u have no choice but to go from town to town and buy.

Petrol is on the high side compare to SG. So for 14 days drive prepare like $300~400 for petrol should be a good guide.

That is a very comprehensive reply, thank you for the tips! I'd be sure to stock up at CHC before departure!
Old 10-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #2670

The buffet in Queenstown is quite crappy. Got laksa that doesn't look or taste like laksa, sushi made by tiongs doesn't does taste like sushi either etc.
I have read numerous comments which are the same as yours. Hmmms, what do you suggest apart from fergburger in Queenstown?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.