HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #2671

I have read numerous comments which are the same as yours. Hmmms, what do you suggest apart from fergburger in Queenstown?
use to have fish & chip which is real good but no more.

you can try Flame Bar & Grill pork rib also.

the buffet is like I say u go for dinner due to you want to see day, sunset and night view. Then you got to eat something right else u can skip dinner if you want.
keigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #2672
Master Member

Hi Guys!

Managed to plan a more detailed itinerary after all the queries... not sure if this is doable so wanna seek as much details as possible...

pls click the spoiler to see the full itinerary!

Spoiler!

Last edited by MoneyHoney; 12-05-2019 at 08:29 PM..
MoneyHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #2673
Master Member

i think my advantage of going in november is the sunset time is 8pm+...means I have much daytime to do hikes/sightseeings...
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #2674
Arch-Supremacy Member

i think my advantage of going in november is the sunset time is 8pm+...means I have much daytime to do hikes/sightseeings...
Suggest u stay at least 2 nights for places that are very weather dependent, e.g. Stargazing and helihike

The places u are visiting in day 4 are along the way to milford sound. Suggest combining them
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #2675
Master Member

Suggest u stay at least 2 nights for places that are very weather dependent, e.g. Stargazing and helihike

The places u are visiting in day 4 are along the way to milford sound. Suggest combining them
Would star-gazing be something that can be done along the spots? e.g. can also do at Twizel/Te Anau?

But if Helihike can be done on Day 1, then it would make an additional night stay at Fox Glacier/Franz Josef Glacier redundant...what else could I do there besides Lake Matheson Walk?
Old 13-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #2676

Would star-gazing be something that can be done along the spots? e.g. can also do at Twizel/Te Anau?

But if Helihike can be done on Day 1, then it would make an additional night stay at Fox Glacier/Franz Josef Glacier redundant...what else could I do there besides Lake Matheson Walk?
Nov is not the time for stargazing.. few issue, it is raining season so night is either foggy or cloudy.

2nd due to longer day light, night sky will be limited and also milkyway is brightest core is not in nov.

So if you mainly want to stargaze to look for milkyway or southern light then forget about it...you would be the best show in the night sky.

So I will recommend to plan your activities as usual and have the night sky as bonus only.

instead since in nov you should aim for Lupins at Lake Tekapo. Dont know what is that just google "Lake tekapo Lupins"
Old 13-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #2677

Hi Guys!

Managed to plan a more detailed itinerary after all the queries... not sure if this is doable so wanna seek as much details as possible...

Spoiler!
Day 1: Tekapo (4 Nov, Mon)
Reach Christchurch airport at 1.30pm, collect rental car and drive to Tekapo
Visit COGShepherd
Star-gazing at lake tekapo
Stay in Tekapo

This one ok...

Day 2: Mt Cook (5 Nov, Tues)
Drive to Lake Pukaki
Pack lunch at High Country Salmon
Hike Hooker Valley track
Hike Sealy Tarns track
Stay in Twizel

You sure high country salmon got lunch to buy????
You are at mountain cook village, why not stay there instead? Also it is super tight for the schedule unless u super fit can just aim to hike fast and move on and not sight seeing.

Day 3: Dunedin (6 Nov, Wed)
Elephant Rocks
Moeraki Beach Boulders
Steepest Road
Stay at Dunedin

You known Dunedin is not just a play to stay right? There are wild life tour you can join and also things to do in Dunedin.

Day 4: Te Anau (7 Nov, Thurs)
Nugget Point Lighthouse
Drive to Te Anau
Visit Lake Mistletoe, Eglinton Valley, Mirror Lake, Knobs Flat, Lake Gunn
Stay at Te Anau

Err your route like not right.. u making 1 big turn... also mirror lake all these are all on the way to Milford sound lei.. why u go down and then come back up?

Day 5: Fiordlands NPark (8 Nov, Fri)
Pop's View Lookout
Lake Marian Hike (3 hours)
Key Summit Trail at The Divide
Stay at Te Anau

since you at Te Anau, night time go for glow worm tour.

Day 6: Milford Sound (9 Nov, Sat)
Milford Sound Cruise
The Chasm
Gertrude Valley Lookout
Drive to Queenstown
Dinner @ Fergburger
Stay at Queenstown

Milford Sound cruise if you can get it at super early in the morning else it will be an afternoon tour.. so not sure if u can make it in time, after finish the cruise and drive to queenstown.

Day 7: Queenstown (10 Nov, Sun)
Bob's Cove
Skyline Gondola & Luge Rides (buy thru Klook)
Dinner @ Fergburger
Stay at Queenstown

Since u r at queenstown why not go to glenorchy??

Day 8: Wanaka (11 Nov, Mon)
Drive to Wanaka
Wanaka Tree
Roy's Peak
Stay at Wanaka

Plazza world is famous in wanaka

Day 9: Franz Josef (12 Nov, Tues)
Drive to Lake Matheson
Lake Matheson Walk
Drive to Franz Josef
Stay at Franz Josef

Day 10: Franz Josef (13 Nov, Wed)
Franz Josef Heli Hike
Drive to Hotitaka
Sunset Point at Hotitaka
Stay at Hotitaka

Day 11: Hotitaka/Arthurs Pass (14 Nov, Thurs)
Hotitaka Gorge
Otira Viaduct Lookout
Devils Punchbowl
Stay at Christchurch

Day 12 & 13: Christchurch (15&16 Nov, Fri&Sat)

just stay 1 night at christchurch and next time flight back home will do....
Old 13-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #2678
Arch-Supremacy Member

there are some hiking trails in the area. maybe do a hike to fox glacier?

actually, u may not have that much time to do a lot of things in FJG/Fox.

my plan was similar to urs, wanaka to lake matheson, then FJG. heli hike at FJG. but i stayed 2 nights in case of bad weather.
ended up, wanaka to lake matheson took longer than planned, coz we stopped at many places along the way for sightseeing. so went straight to FJG instead. heli hike took longer than expected also, ended pass lunchtime. so by the time we are done with heli hike and lunch, was already 2-3pm. went lake matheson coz the previous day didnt cover, and that was abt it for the 2 nights in FJG.
Old 13-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #2679
Master Member

Nov is not the time for stargazing.. few issue, it is raining season so night is either foggy or cloudy.

2nd due to longer day light, night sky will be limited and also milkyway is brightest core is not in nov.

So if you mainly want to stargaze to look for milkyway or southern light then forget about it...you would be the best show in the night sky.

So I will recommend to plan your activities as usual and have the night sky as bonus only.

instead since in nov you should aim for Lupins at Lake Tekapo. Dont know what is that just google "Lake tekapo Lupins"
ok point taken..

Day 1: Tekapo (4 Nov, Mon)
Reach Christchurch airport at 1.30pm, collect rental car and drive to Tekapo
Visit COGShepherd
Star-gazing at lake tekapo
Stay in Tekapo

This one ok...

Day 2: Mt Cook (5 Nov, Tues)
Drive to Lake Pukaki
Pack lunch at High Country Salmon
Hike Hooker Valley track
Hike Sealy Tarns track
Stay in Twizel

You sure high country salmon got lunch to buy????
You are at mountain cook village, why not stay there instead? Also it is super tight for the schedule unless u super fit can just aim to hike fast and move on and not sight seeing.

HVT is the primary...the rest of the hikes will be optional...hence that explains why the stay in Twizel...also partly because
of accomodation costs...

Day 3: Dunedin (6 Nov, Wed)
Elephant Rocks
Moeraki Beach Boulders
Steepest Road
Stay at Dunedin

You known Dunedin is not just a play to stay right? There are wild life tour you can join and also things to do in Dunedin.

noted...perhaps I should factor 2 days in Dunedin...

Day 4: Te Anau (7 Nov, Thurs)
Nugget Point Lighthouse
Drive to Te Anau
Visit Lake Mistletoe, Eglinton Valley, Mirror Lake, Knobs Flat, Lake Gunn
Stay at Te Anau

Err your route like not right.. u making 1 big turn... also mirror lake all these are all on the way to Milford sound lei.. why u go down and then come back up?

based on my limited knowledge, seems like Te Anau Downs and MS don't have any accomodations? scanned thru Google maps not much choices also...Seems like Te Anau has more accomodations..

Day 5: Fiordlands NPark (8 Nov, Fri)
Pop's View Lookout
Lake Marian Hike (3 hours)
Key Summit Trail at The Divide
Stay at Te Anau

since you at Te Anau, night time go for glow worm tour.

I've been to a few glow worm tours In Aussie already...all seem rather underwhelming...would NZ be any much different?

Day 6: Milford Sound (9 Nov, Sat)
Milford Sound Cruise
The Chasm
Gertrude Valley Lookout
Drive to Queenstown
Dinner @ Fergburger
Stay at Queenstown

Milford Sound cruise if you can get it at super early in the morning else it will be an afternoon tour.. so not sure if u can make it in time, after finish the cruise and drive to queenstown.

Day 7: Queenstown (10 Nov, Sun)
Bob's Cove
Skyline Gondola & Luge Rides (buy thru Klook)
Dinner @ Fergburger
Stay at Queenstown

Since u r at queenstown why not go to glenorchy??

ok point taken...

Day 8: Wanaka (11 Nov, Mon)
Drive to Wanaka
Wanaka Tree
Roy's Peak
Stay at Wanaka

Plazza world is famous in wanaka

do u mean puzzling world in wanaka? can't find plazza world on google

Day 9: Franz Josef (12 Nov, Tues)
Drive to Lake Matheson
Lake Matheson Walk
Drive to Franz Josef
Stay at Franz Josef

Day 10: Franz Josef (13 Nov, Wed)
Franz Josef Heli Hike
Drive to Hotitaka
Sunset Point at Hotitaka
Stay at Hotitaka

Day 11: Hotitaka/Arthurs Pass (14 Nov, Thurs)
Hotitaka Gorge
Otira Viaduct Lookout
Devils Punchbowl
Stay at Christchurch

Day 12 & 13: Christchurch (15&16 Nov, Fri&Sat)

just stay 1 night at christchurch and next time flight back home will do....
there are some hiking trails in the area. maybe do a hike to fox glacier?

actually, u may not have that much time to do a lot of things in FJG/Fox.

my plan was similar to urs, wanaka to lake matheson, then FJG. heli hike at FJG. but i stayed 2 nights in case of bad weather.
ended up, wanaka to lake matheson took longer than planned, coz we stopped at many places along the way for sightseeing. so went straight to FJG instead. heli hike took longer than expected also, ended pass lunchtime. so by the time we are done with heli hike and lunch, was already 2-3pm. went lake matheson coz the previous day didnt cover, and that was abt it for the 2 nights in FJG.
ok will take note of that...thanks!
Old 13-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #2680
Master Member

Anyone been to national toy and transport museum at wanaka? Have a spare day which is tmr on going either going this or puzzling world. Just done both Roy peak and mount iron today. By right this "spare" day I intend to do Rob Roy hike but decided to get my leg a rest.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #2681
Greater Supremacy Member

rob roy not rly worth it to do i feel

long drive in over lots of gravel road

go through lots of forest

near the end then u start seeing the glacier

im a mountain person, so if i spend most of my time in forest for a trail, i will feel it's not worth it...

if u wanna chill, jus drive around the lake, find nice spots to nua and eat, got nice spots all around the lake/neighbourhood...

i jus took a screenshot from my album, it was sometime in july in 2012...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #2682

Hi Guys!

Spoiler!
I think you might be underestimating the drive times between locations. Leave you little time for sightseeing and that's not the best way to enjoy NZ.
At FJ or Fox Glacier, many people do the walk to see the terminal face of the glacier, although it's not that spectacular, the walk itself is probably more compelling than the walk around Lake Matheson, which although nice, is kinda like a walk at MacRitchie but with different vegetation.
If you plan to do multiple hikes along the Milford Area, consider staying a night at Milford Sound itself instead of Te Anau. The lodges there are limited and more expensive but allows you to spend more time hiking.
Christchurch - nothing much to see there, suggest you plan to arrive late afternoon day before departure.
MoneyHoney likes this.
hawkwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #2683
Master Member

I think you might be underestimating the drive times between locations. Leave you little time for sightseeing and that's not the best way to enjoy NZ.
At FJ or Fox Glacier, many people do the walk to see the terminal face of the glacier, although it's not that spectacular, the walk itself is probably more compelling than the walk around Lake Matheson, which although nice, is kinda like a walk at MacRitchie but with different vegetation.
If you plan to do multiple hikes along the Milford Area, consider staying a night at Milford Sound itself instead of Te Anau. The lodges there are limited and more expensive but allows you to spend more time hiking.
Christchurch - nothing much to see there, suggest you plan to arrive late afternoon day before departure.
Will take that into considerations.

Lemme work out that route again...
Old 14-05-2019, 03:23 AM   #2684

I agree. Although you have listed out many of the attractions, it will definitely be very tiring just driving from one place to another and its gonna drain your energy to fully be able to enjoy your experience much.

And also to note that couple of tracks take at least 2-3 hours to complete for a return trek. Roy's peak at least 5hours.
It is not ideal to have so many activities in just one day as it will be hard to complete or you will only be rushing,which again affects your experience. Perhaps certain places you can stay for 2 nights instead of 1

Last edited by Pk0601; 14-05-2019 at 03:26 AM..
Pk0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #2685
High Supremacy Member

Any baby (1yo) friendly plans that anyone aware of for South Island? Thanks in advance.

Sent from me using GAGT
a1v1n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.