HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #2851
Supremacy Member

As u r not going to the West Coast (Hotikita and the 2 glaciers) and milford sound. I think 8 days on your trip are quite OK. Seem to me that u r arriving at CC and depart from Queenstown?

Since your trip is just 8 days at most. My suggestion is not to spend 2 days on Christchurch. Just rent and collect the car from the airport and u will reach main city within 15 mins. Spend your arrival day exploring the city and to recover after a long flight. Many travellers here liked to use apex car rental. I am one of them also.

Between sedan and hatchback/SUV. Hatchback and suv are the one that u can dumped and place your luggage and barang barang easier inside. Except for rental cars. Most NZ and Australia usually don't buy sedans.

is excess coverage via the rental companies or we buy ourselves outside better?
Once your trip is confirmed. Plan ahead on the accommodation to save cost and not reaching there to start to look when u need to. Hotelcombined is a good site to find and usually I go for free cancellation so I can cancel it if there are changes in my itinerary.
yup, plan to collect car in CC and drop off at queenstown airport. will u buy car insurance excess with the rental company or buy elsewhere? For example, Apex's excess is $2,000, and if I buy travel insurance in singapore, that will cover car rental excess too (eg. Direct Asia covers $1500)
is parking exp there in Christchurch city? thinking of collecting car, then drive to Christchurch city and stay 1-2 nights before going off.

Are the glaciers worth a trip? looking at the map, it seems a lot of backtracking back to Lake Tekapo area

Last edited by Garlic & Butter; 21-11-2019 at 09:29 PM..
Garlic & Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #2852
Master Member

yup, plan to collect car in CC and drop off at queenstown airport. will u buy car insurance excess with the rental company or buy elsewhere? For example, Apex's excess is $2,000, and if I buy travel insurance in singapore, that will cover car rental excess too (eg. Direct Asia covers $1500)
is parking exp there in Christchurch city? thinking of collecting car, then drive to Christchurch city and stay 1-2 nights before going off.

Are the glaciers worth a trip? looking at the map, it seems a lot of backtracking back to Lake Tekapo area
When is your travelling date. I went there in early May this year and I managed to get the apex car rental deal at $39 a day for toyota collora hatchback with full excess covered. However on the day itself. Apex car rental "upgraded" with sedan version for me. Although I still much prefer hatchback.

I didn't pay for any parking fee at CC as I managed to park at the shopping mall which provided free parking from 2 to 4 hours. Not sure why u r thinking of spending more than 1 day in CC there.

I never visit the glaciers in NZ coz the I find the cost of helihike is not cheap. Somemore I have seen the glaciers in Iceland for free and much easily accessible . To walk on the glaciers, we need to have guides. Unless u really want to walk on it. U should do what u like and decide yourself. Worth it if u like it.

Like someone mentioned. Queenstown Fergburger is really nice.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #2853
Supremacy Member

When is your travelling date. I went there in early May this year and I managed to get the apex car rental deal at $39 a day for toyota collora hatchback with full excess covered. However on the day itself. Apex car rental "upgraded" with sedan version for me. Although I still much prefer hatchback.

I didn't pay for any parking fee at CC as I managed to park at the shopping mall which provided free parking from 2 to 4 hours. Not sure why u r thinking of spending more than 1 day in CC there.

I never visit the glaciers in NZ coz the I find the cost of helihike is not cheap. Somemore I have seen the glaciers in Iceland for free and much easily accessible . To walk on the glaciers, we need to have guides. Unless u really want to walk on it. U should do what u like and decide yourself. Worth it if u like it.

Like someone mentioned. Queenstown Fergburger is really nice.
Renting over xmas period
it's abut $74 for 8 days for a nissan tiida/ latio
collect car on day 1 and park overnight (~$15), day 2/3 then go outskirts? or better to go back airport collect car on day 2? collect car pay rent + park whole day to explore CC a bit waste money. I plan to stay 2 nights in CC
Garlic & Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #2854
Master Member

Renting over xmas period
it's abut $74 for 8 days for a nissan tiida/ latio
collect car on day 1 and park overnight (~$15), day 2/3 then go outskirts? or better to go back airport collect car on day 2? collect car pay rent + park whole day to explore CC a bit waste money. I plan to stay 2 nights in CC
U just plan whatever u feel is convenient for u. $74 per day rental is expensive but that is pretty normal during the festival season and it is almost summer there.

If u intend to visit both Lake Tekapo and Mount cook. Both accommodation are not cheap and u can based in twizel which is middle of both. Accommodation is slightly cheaper there. Then the remaining days spend on wanaka and Queenstown.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #2855

hi all, planning to drive (2 pax) from Christchurch - Lake Takapo - Mt Cook - Wanaka - Queenstown. Have 8 days there. is it too long/ short?
-Should collect car from airport or spend 1-2 days in City and do city collection? Any suggested car rental companies? (apart from budget/avis/hertz).
-And is it safer to rent a sedan (can store luggage safely out of view)
- hotels/ motels/inns easy to find along the way?

TIA!
Should collect from airport and stay 1 night at CC due to the long flight.
CC (1 night)
Lake Tekapo (1 night)
Mt Cook (2 nights)
Wanaka (1 night)
Queenstown (2 nights)
Can try Go rental. reputable in NZ South Island.
Mt Cook accommodation are limited but those facing the snowy mountains are a view to pay for.
Charissa26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:21 AM   #2856

Need to see where's the preferred place to +1 night. Queenstown imo no need 2 nights tho. There are better places to visit from Wanaka plus u go Roys peak the leg too jelly to drive Liao lol

Should collect from airport and stay 1 night at CC due to the long flight.
CC (1 night)
Lake Tekapo (1 night)
Mt Cook (2 nights)
Wanaka (1 night)
Queenstown (2 nights)
Can try Go rental. reputable in NZ South Island.
Mt Cook accommodation are limited but those facing the snowy mountains are a view to pay for.
feigningfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #2857

For the past few days there's been rain, sometimes heavy mainly in the west coast. Resulting in lake Wanaka reaching high levels and lakefront shops are mainly closed with flood protection in place. Now... There are like 100 Wanaka trees..

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 SE using GAGT
achtung7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #2858

Some of the best drives in South Island:

https://therantingpanda.com/2019/12/...-scenic-roads/
chia0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #2859

Hope no one is trapped at Fox Glacier and FJG now...

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 SE using GAGT
achtung7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #2860

What happened? I only know the eruption at white island. Would it affect FG and FJG?

Sent from LGE LM-V405 using GAGT
lurker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #2861

Due to flooding, many roads Kanna cut off..
Heard all already rescued and at the CC airport now waiting for their flights back home..******************
Iím in South Island now... Dunedin here..******************************************************
Pai sei , still got many people trapped there..
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/12/more-than-900-tourists-trapped-on-west-coast-after-slips-close-sh6.html

Last edited by sbv7230; 10-12-2019 at 04:28 AM..
sbv7230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #2862
vil

Have been here since start of the month, cold weather has brought snow to some of the mountains and higher elevation places. Itís like winter during summer.
vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #2863

I'm here too. The weather has been super erratic for the entire spring. It can be rainy, sunny and windy within like a short time frame :/

Right now there seem to be a cold wave and the temperatures feels even colder than two months ago on some mornings. Sometimes I still need to wear my winter jacket out because the wind is too strong and cold.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #2864

I'm here too. The weather has been super erratic for the entire spring. It can be rainy, sunny and windy within like a short time frame :/

Right now there seem to be a cold wave and the temperatures feels even colder than two months ago on some mornings. Sometimes I still need to wear my winter jacket out because the wind is too strong and cold.
Hopefully the rain don't stay too long for u there. I was quite turned off when it kept raining there.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
feigningfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #2865

how the flooding? i am heading to south in like 8 days time...

has road been cleared?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.