HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #301

I just came back from NZ 2 weeks ago.
Air ticket can look out for British Airways with one transit stop.

For sky dive , recommended place to do it is in Abel Tasman or Fox Glacier but it will cost about 540 NZD(with dvd). The cheapest to do sky dive is in North Island Lake Taupo which I did it there for 499 NZD(DVD + Photos). For Skydive , it really depends on the weather.

Milford Sound Tour is from 150 - 200 NZD depending on the tour you sign up for.

Did go in the Fox Glacier but did a ice explorer hike at Franz Josef that cost NZD260. Helicopter brought us up and it was a guided walk on the ice and that include free entry to the Hot Pools.

Is the 3k including air ticket? If so you have 2k left to play around with and also depending on how long you will be there. There are too many things to do in NZ and the landscape is too awesome.
how long was ur trip n roughly how much did u spent?
kakashixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #302

hi,

my fiance and i would like to go to nz in july, can anybody send me their itinerary? thanks!
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #303
Master Member

hi u can look at my itinerary here: NZ Trip Iti Final.pdf
leogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #304

hi,

my fiance and i would like to go to nz in july, can anybody send me their itinerary? thanks!
How long will you be there?

This is the summary of my trip - http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpc2/3...7618060076277/
If you are interested, let me know - I will email you the itinerary. It's over 1MB file and I don't have a location to put it.

Last edited by alpc; 02-02-2013 at 11:55 PM..
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #305

i will be there for 10 days from 2nd july to the 12th... any recommended winter itinerary, we dont wanna go skiing.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #306

Hi all

I am heading to NZ both North and South Islands from 24 Feb to 16 March with my girlfriend. Will be touring 1 week in North and 2 weeks in South. Would appreciate some advises please!

Our plan is to travel a week in the North from Auckland, Taupo and stop at Napier and fly directly to CC. From CC, we will be heading to Kaikoura and back to CC, then down to Franz Josef, Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Catlins, Dunedin, Tekapo and back to CC to fly back home.

We will only be staying at most of the town areas for a night, so quite a lot of driving and sight seeing along the way.

1. Any recommendations on which telco for phone data plan?

2. Is it advisable to rent a GPS unit since we will be driving all over the place?

3. What is the 1 place that cannot be missed in the North and South?

4. Any other recommendations to do in NZ besides sight seeing, bungy, skydive, eat Salmon and burgers?

Appreciate all your help please, thanks!
KaShinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #307

Hi all

I am heading to NZ both North and South Islands from 24 Feb to 16 March with my girlfriend. Will be touring 1 week in North and 2 weeks in South. Would appreciate some advises please!

Our plan is to travel a week in the North from Auckland, Taupo and stop at Napier and fly directly to CC. From CC, we will be heading to Kaikoura and back to CC, then down to Franz Josef, Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Catlins, Dunedin, Tekapo and back to CC to fly back home.

We will only be staying at most of the town areas for a night, so quite a lot of driving and sight seeing along the way.

1. Any recommendations on which telco for phone data plan?

2. Is it advisable to rent a GPS unit since we will be driving all over the place?

3. What is the 1 place that cannot be missed in the North and South?

4. Any other recommendations to do in NZ besides sight seeing, bungy, skydive, eat Salmon and burgers?

Appreciate all your help please, thanks!
1. Did not use any data line at that time.
2. I did rent a GPS and it helps a lot.
4. Balloon Flights, Clay pigeon target shooting, Jet boat ride, sauna bath (like onsen in Japan, but this is more of North Island), horse riding, visit vineyards and sample wines?

Can't answer 3, since I cannot pick just 1 place for South Island, and I have not really explore North Island that much.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #308
Greater Supremacy Member

north island u can try doing the tongariro crossing at taupo if both u n ur gf can do physical stuffs... can climb up mt. doom (if u know LOTR)... there's not rly any mus do in the north... can also consider para-sailing at lake taupo...

in the south... can try ice climbing at the glaciers... climbing at fox is alot cheaper cuz u dun need to take a helicopter up to the glacier like franz josef, but it may be worth the ride...

other than those activities that u mention, it's mostly/generally physically stuffs like climbing/trekking/tramping... there's all kinds of tracks from short walks to full day treks and even few days ones... on a whole, NZ is a great place for ppl who enjoys physical activities and scenery...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #309

hi guys.. due to time constraints i can only afford a short 5 day trip to New Zealand( yes i know.. damm short).

Any recommendations? on top of my list is a visit to Milford Sound( A must i reckon!!)
flakkgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #310

hi guys.. due to time constraints i can only afford a short 5 day trip to New Zealand( yes i know.. damm short).

Any recommendations? on top of my list is a visit to Milford Sound( A must i reckon!!)
in dat case u shld fly straight to queensland already n travel arnd frm dere
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #311

in dat case u shld fly straight to queensland already n travel arnd frm dere
I think you meant Queenstown - Queensland is in Australia.

Yeah, Queenstown would be a good bet. But 5 days, too short. Even 7 days is considered too short. I had 14 days in South Island, and i had not gone everywhere, so...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #312

thanks alpc and mata_hippo for the advises!

just wanna ask, is it advisable to spend only 1 night at each location, then drive about 150-250km to the next (of course enjoying the landscapes along the way)?

will it be very tired?
KaShinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #313

[QUOTE=alpc;73747816]I think you meant Queenstown - Queensland is in Australia.

hehe, my bad. i mixup with queensway sometimes too
Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #314

thanks alpc and mata_hippo for the advises!

just wanna ask, is it advisable to spend only 1 night at each location, then drive about 150-250km to the next (of course enjoying the landscapes along the way)?

will it be very tired?
150 - 250 km of normal road is not that bad and definitely doable, I have traveled longer journey than that during the NZ trip. It all depends on what is your own criteria and willingness to do it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #315

It also depends whether you will drive and stop along the way to admire the scenery and sights. Kiwis also warned of "traffic jams" (by the sheeps). If you encounter them, you cannot horn them, have to drive very slowly or stop until the sheep has cleared the road.
And if travel during winter, the road condition depends greatly on weather and also not safe to drive fast when there is black ice on the road.
Do take in consideration of these unexpected circumstances.

i too think 5 days is too short. NZ is a beautiful place. If time constraint, IMO, leave NZ to another time when you have longer period of time to go?
Just a thought.

Last edited by casualtraveller; 08-02-2013 at 10:50 AM..
casualtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.