HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #346
Master Member

im going on a 12 day trip in May. ill juz share mine with you, you might want to take it as reference.

Day 1 Christchurch to Arthur's Pass
Day 2 Arthur's Pass to Hokitika to Fox Glacier
Day 3 Fox Glacier
Day 4 Fox Glacier to Haast Pass to Wanaka
Day 5 Wanaka
Day 6 Wanaka
Day 7 Wanaka to Arrowtown to Queenstown
Day 8 Queenstown
Day 9 Queenstown (going to Milford Sound)
Day 10 Queenstown (going to Glenorchy)
Day 11 Queenstown to Lake Tekapo
Day 12 Lake Tekapo to Christchurch
thanks!
Old 22-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #347

finally booked my air tix to christchurch in sept 7 -22. effectively around 14 days if minus off 2 days flying. travelling with 1 other friend.

saw a 12 days self drive itinerary from the website below.
Christchurch - Milford Sound - Christchurch > Driving Routes > New Zealand

Day 1 Christchurch to Oamaru
Day 2 Oamaru to Dunedin
Day 3 Dunedin to Te Anau
Day 4 Te Anau to Milford Sound
Day 5 Te Anau to Queenstown
Day 6 Queenstown to Wanaka
Day 7 Wanaka to Franz Josef
Day 8 Franz Josef to Greymouth
Day 9 Greymouth to Nelson
Day 10 Nelson to Blenheim
Day 11 Blenheim to Kaikoura
Day 12 Kaikoura to Christchurch

anyone followed the itinerary above b4? or any expert can help me see if its good. thank chiu in advance
This list is actually doing the route in clockwise direction, almost coast to coast except for the southern part where they cut inland pass Queenstown to Te Anau from Dunedin. My itinerary was similar, with some twist (I skipped above Greymouth but went to Bleheim from Christchurch, stayed a night and drive back to Christchurch) and in the opposite direction.

Only thing I can think of for Oamaru is the penguin colony, which needs a night stay. Dunedin, is the house on the hill (can't remember the name) and the albatross colony which I passed but head out to stay at Oamaru instead. Te Anau is just to pass the night, but the Lake Te Anau is nice. Could go for Doubtful Sound instead of Milford Sound if you don't fancy a drive to Milford Sound. Manipouri is only approx 15 mins drive from Te Anau.

I guess the night spent at Greymouth is due to the possibility that you would head up the FJ Glacier in the morning, and then drive to Greymouth in the afternoon. There is nothing there except for Pancake rocks. Nelson is national park area, while Blenheim is vineyard area. Kaikoura is where you get on the whale watching cruises. There's a seal colony at the quarry.

But following that route you will miss Arthur's pass. You can drive pass Lake Tekapo on the way to Oamaru.

u can skip those towns at the really south part, spend more time at wanaka and queenstown...

arthur's pass during winter is nice too.. climbed up the temple basin... couldn't stop taking pictures...

te anau is jus a stopover for milford sound, there's nth to do there... but the drive from te anau to milford and back is long... the total travel time can take up half a day liao...

the drive from queenstown to te anau is also crazy...
Er, Queenstown is the most southern town in the list.

Queenstown to Te Anau is slightly more than 2 hours, Te Anau to Milford Sound is about 3 hours. There are tours that do run from Queenstown to Milford Sound (for the cruise) and back to Queenstown, so it's still doable. Just whoever is driver, is going to be very tired at the end of the day.

Last edited by alpc; 22-04-2013 at 12:21 AM..
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #348
Master Member

This list is actually doing the route in clockwise direction, almost coast to coast except for the southern part where they cut inland pass Queenstown to Te Anau from Dunedin. My itinerary was similar, with some twist (I skipped above Greymouth but went to Bleheim from Christchurch, stayed a night and drive back to Christchurch) and in the opposite direction.

Only thing I can think of for Oamaru is the penguin colony, which needs a night stay. Dunedin, is the house on the hill (can't remember the name) and the albatross colony which I passed but head out to stay at Oamaru instead. Te Anau is just to pass the night, but the Lake Te Anau is nice. Could go for Doubtful Sound instead of Milford Sound if you don't fancy a drive to Milford Sound. Manipouri is only approx 15 mins drive from Te Anau.

I guess the night spent at Greymouth is due to the possibility that you would head up the FJ Glacier in the morning, and then drive to Greymouth in the afternoon. There is nothing there except for Pancake rocks. Nelson is national park area, while Blenheim is vineyard area. Kaikoura is where you get on the whale watching cruises. There's a seal colony at the quarry.

But following that route you will miss Arthur's pass. You can drive pass Lake Tekapo on the way to Oamaru.

Queenstown to Te Anau is slightly more than 2 hours, Te Anau to Milford Sound is about 3 hours. There are tours that do run from Queenstown to Milford Sound (for the cruise) and back to Queenstown, so it's still doable. Just whoever is driver, is going to be very tired at the end of the day.
thanks! do u still have ur itinerary? mind sharing
skies86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #349
Greater Supremacy Member

i mean dunedin and omaru... nth spectacular about those 2 towns especially if u r a scenery and adventure/physical person...

dunedin is more south than queenstown/te anau
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #350

Hi all, I'll be going to NZ in August and is thinking of taking TranzAlphine train to Greymouth from CHC before renting a car there for the rest of the trip. Read elsewhere that it's a must try when visiting NZ but I don't see much reviews over here. Anyone took it before and whether it's worth the price ($189 per pax for 1 way)?
nirek_oen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #351

Hi all I've browsing this thread and most of the information is on the south..

I'll be going to Auckland for 7 days, is anyone willing to share or suggest a rough plan? Start and end in Auckland, not intending to fly to the south. Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by gtr913; 27-04-2013 at 12:14 AM..
gtr913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #352

Hi all, I'll be going to NZ in August and is thinking of taking TranzAlphine train to Greymouth from CHC before renting a car there for the rest of the trip. Read elsewhere that it's a must try when visiting NZ but I don't see much reviews over here. Anyone took it before and whether it's worth the price ($189 per pax for 1 way)?
I think the TranzAlpine is worth it if you like scenery. The train ride itself takes ~4 hours. You can try to get to the open carriages when the train is in motion so you can take photos unblocked by the train windows. I took it as a day trip (2-way) with a stopover at Greymouth for lunch before going back to Christchurch.
Assenkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #353

I think the TranzAlpine is worth it if you like scenery. The train ride itself takes ~4 hours. You can try to get to the open carriages when the train is in motion so you can take photos unblocked by the train windows. I took it as a day trip (2-way) with a stopover at Greymouth for lunch before going back to Christchurch.
driving a car over arthurs pass is equally fantastic as taking a train, but its a difference experience i guess..best to take e train in winter though, can see snowcapped mountains.
kakashixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #354

I have got some nzd leftovers, about 1K. If anyone interested pm me, my rate of course would be slightly cheaper than money changers to make it worthwhile for both of us.
hwsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #355

Smile Need to apply Aussie Transit Visa?

Singaporean flying to Auckland transiting Australia need to apply any Transit Visa?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #356

Read on Tripadvisor it's much cheaper to get the TranzAlpine ticket when you are in NZ, about NZD 99 per pax per way. I'm considering taking this train too.
carleon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #357

Hi all, I need some help with my itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive Christchurch
Day 2: TranzAlpine to Greymouth. Drive from Greymouth to Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 3: Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 4: Drive to Fox Glacier. Sky dive.
Day 5: Drive to Wanaka.
Day 6: Drive to Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 8: Drive to Te Anau. Glowworm caves.
Day 9: Milford Sound day tour
Day 10: ?
Day 11: ?
Day 12: ?
Day 13: ?
Day 14: Christchurch. Back to Singapore.

Any suggestion on where to go from Day 10 to Day 13? I'm thinking of Lake Tekapo, but surely that won't take more than 2 days, including the drive?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #358

Singaporean flying to Auckland transiting Australia need to apply any Transit Visa?
If you are not passing through the immigration booth in Australia, you won't need AUS visa. If you are staying in Australia, even for a day, you need AUS visa.

Check your flights that they are landing and taking off in the same airport, and through the international sector (no need to go through immigration), not domestic sector (must go through immigration if I recall correctly).
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #359

Hi all, I need some help with my itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive Christchurch
Day 2: TranzAlpine to Greymouth. Drive from Greymouth to Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 3: Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 4: Drive to Fox Glacier. Sky dive.
Day 5: Drive to Wanaka.
Day 6: Drive to Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 9: Milford Sound day tour
Day 10: ?
Day 11: ?
Day 12: ?
Day 13: ?
Day 14: Christchurch. Back to Singapore.

Any suggestion on where to go from Day 10 to Day 13? I'm thinking of Lake Tekapo, but surely that won't take more than 2 days, including the drive?
You could still stay at FJ Glacier for the Fox glacier as they are like 30 mins apart...

Day 9: Milford sound day tour
Day 10: Doubtful sound day tour
Day 11: Drive to Te Anau to Queenstown
day 12: Drive Queenstown to Lake Tekapo
day 13: Drive Lake Tekapo to Christchurch

Unless you want to drive from Te Anau to Lake Tekapo which will be a long journey.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #360

You could still stay at FJ Glacier for the Fox glacier as they are like 30 mins apart...

Day 9: Milford sound day tour
Day 10: Doubtful sound day tour
Day 11: Drive to Te Anau to Queenstown
day 12: Drive Queenstown to Lake Tekapo
day 13: Drive Lake Tekapo to Christchurch

Unless you want to drive from Te Anau to Lake Tekapo which will be a long journey.
One option is to break the drive from Te Anau to Lake Tekapo into 2 parts. Set off in the morning, break at Queenstown for lunch, then continue to Lake Tekapo. But yes, the drive will be long. Google Map shows the total drive to be 5 hours.

Your suggestion of Doubtful Sound looks good. it's down to a choice of more time at Lake Tekapo or going to see Doubtful Sound. which is better?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.