Back from South island New Zealand

guitar123

Reaction score
We visited New Zealand on a cruise ship.

This was taken while the ship was sailing through one of the Sounds, in South New Zealand. Another cruise ship was sailing past, in the opposite direction.

Many passengers were out on deck, admiring the beautiful scenery. Very memorable.

guitar123

Reaction score
Taieri Gorge Railway, Dunedin, New Zealand

Our train ride. Quite unusual. Haven't been on such a train ride before.

mysticqhl

Reaction score
Planning itinerary

Hihi, I have booked my air tickets to Christchurch in May and currently doing research and planning my trip for my 18 Days self drive trip! Was inspired by all the amazing scenery photos shared.

Looking through all the pages on this thread, I am really glad to get so much knowledge! It is really useful.

I have made a draft itinerary, am wondering if I can get advise to see if it make sense!

04 May - Depart Singapore
05 May - Reach Christchurch 9.30am. Explore Christchurch
06 May - Christchurch to Lake Tekapo
07 May - Lake Tekapo to Dunedin
08 May - Dunedin
09 May - Dunedin to Te Anau
10 May - Te Anau to Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound
11 May - Te Anau to Queenstown
12 May - Queenstown
13 May - Queenstown to Wanaka
14 May - Wanaka
15 May - Wanaka to Franz Josef Glacier
16 May - Franz Josef Glacier to Punakaiki OR Hokitika?
17 May - Punakaiki - Nelson OR Hokitika to Abel Tasman
18 May - Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park
19 May - Nelson - Blenheim/Hammer Springs? - Kaikoura
20 May - Kaikoura
21 May - Kaikoura to Christchurch
22 May - Depart Christchurch 10.50am

Is it worth spending a day at Mount Cook also before heading to Dunedin?

After Franz Josef, there seems to be many stopover areas like Hammer Springs, Piction, Punkaiki, Nelson.. any recommendations for the ending stage of the trip?

Feel free to give me feedback on my itinerary!

Much appreciated!

sellun

Reaction score
Hi as I'm a hiking lover I would recommend spending a day at Mt cook. I went there in May too and the weather was perfect for hikes. You can try a few of the hikes on Mt cook, each few hours walk to and fro the whiteknight carpark.

Are you driving normal vehicle or campervanning?

Seems like you will be skipping Arthur's pass which offers amazing scenery.

Sent from iPhone 7 using GAGT

orange1988

Reaction score
Hihi, I have booked my air tickets to Christchurch in May and currently doing research and planning my trip for my 18 Days self drive trip! Was inspired by all the amazing scenery photos shared.

Looking through all the pages on this thread, I am really glad to get so much knowledge! It is really useful.

I have made a draft itinerary, am wondering if I can get advise to see if it make sense!

04 May - Depart Singapore
05 May - Reach Christchurch 9.30am. Explore Christchurch
06 May - Christchurch to Lake Tekapo
07 May - Lake Tekapo to Dunedin
08 May - Dunedin
09 May - Dunedin to Te Anau
10 May - Te Anau to Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound
11 May - Te Anau to Queenstown
12 May - Queenstown
13 May - Queenstown to Wanaka
14 May - Wanaka
15 May - Wanaka to Franz Josef Glacier
16 May - Franz Josef Glacier to Punakaiki OR Hokitika?
17 May - Punakaiki - Nelson OR Hokitika to Abel Tasman
18 May - Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park
19 May - Nelson - Blenheim/Hammer Springs? - Kaikoura
20 May - Kaikoura
21 May - Kaikoura to Christchurch
22 May - Depart Christchurch 10.50am

Is it worth spending a day at Mount Cook also before heading to Dunedin?

After Franz Josef, there seems to be many stopover areas like Hammer Springs, Piction, Punkaiki, Nelson.. any recommendations for the ending stage of the trip?

Feel free to give me feedback on my itinerary!

Much appreciated!

I would recommend spending 1-2 days in Mount Cook national park too if possible.. I've managed to see Southern Lights there during my last trip there too.. and the hike Hooker's Valley Hike is one of my best hike in South Island..

And yes the drive through Arthurs Pass is amazing too.. I would recommend a detour if you can haha.. If not you can spare a day on ur last days after Christchurch.. do a drive to Arthurs Pass and back.. it could be done within a day of driving..

Anw, Punakaiki can be done as a brief stop along the way to Nelson if you wan as theres nothing much there other den the rocks and blowholes.. So i suggest u can stay in hokitika/greymouth and move on to Nelson the next day stopping by punakaiki as a brief stop.. so u can save a day lidat.. maybe the extra day u can spent driving up Arthurs Pass? hahaha..

mysticqhl

Reaction score
thanks guys for sharing!

We will be driving via normal vehicle. Indeed, I hear a lot of good stuff on Mount Cook and Arthur Pass. I am probably tweaking my itinerary to skip out drive up to Abel Tasman area to have a slower pace to enjoy each place more.

Shall go back and rework my itinerary :)

orange1988

Reaction score
thanks guys for sharing!

We will be driving via normal vehicle. Indeed, I hear a lot of good stuff on Mount Cook and Arthur Pass. I am probably tweaking my itinerary to skip out drive up to Abel Tasman area to have a slower pace to enjoy each place more.

Shall go back and rework my itinerary :)

Yep given ur tight schedule its probably betta to leave out the northern parts of south island and focus on the more beautiful south.. 2 nites in queenstown especially is not enuf given theres so much activities to do there and nearby awesome places(arrowtown and glenorchy) to visit!

Maybe u can reroute such that u leave franz joseph and drive thru Arthurs pass and back to Christchurch..

If i were u i'll probably leave out dunedine as well.. although i oso love that place haha.. if only u got more days man!

jimmytango

Reaction score
I would trade dunedin for abel tasman or mount cook. They've got kayak + beach walk full day trip in abel tasman which is excellent. We went for the kayak before and we stopped in a lagoon filled with baby seal. They're so playful and will approach and swim alongside the kayak.
But of course depend on you which activities you like most.

sellun

Reaction score
Yep given ur tight schedule its probably betta to leave out the northern parts of south island and focus on the more beautiful south.. 2 nites in queenstown especially is not enuf given theres so much activities to do there and nearby awesome places(arrowtown and glenorchy) to visit!

Maybe u can reroute such that u leave franz joseph and drive thru Arthurs pass and back to Christchurch..

If i were u i'll probably leave out dunedine as well.. although i oso love that place haha.. if only u got more days man!

You'll be going in may which is nearing winter, do note that the day will be quite short and you'll be advised to drive slower than usual. I agree that your schedule is pretty tight. I personally skipped the northern parts as well. Queenstown is really amazing. Do enjoy the slower pace of life at NZ and not rush like mad else it would defeat the purpose of going there!.

I would recommend you to leave out dunedine as well. Its really quite boring there compared to other place.

mysticqhl

Reaction score
I thought it was enough when I book my air tickets, but seems like it is still not enough!

hmm, but if I skip dunedin in exchange for abel tasman & kaikoura.. how will my driving route be like, if I would like to bypass Arthur pass since it is like in the middle?

I am quite keen to go dunedin though, although it is a bit far out.. cos if next time if I have chance to visit north NZ, I can still explore the upper part of south island.

mysticqhl

Reaction score
Here is my revised itinerary:

Day 1 Reach Christchurch 9.30am. Rest & Explore
2 Christchurch to Franz Josef Glacier via Arthur Pass
3 Franz Josef Glacier
4 FJG to Wanaka
5 Wanaka
6 Wanaka to Queenstown
7 Queenstown
8 Queenstown
9 Te Anau
10 Milford Sound
11 Te Anau to Dunedin
12 Dunedin
13 Dunedin to Mount Cook
14 Lake Tekapo
15 Lake Tekapo to Kaikoura
16 Kaikoura
17 Kaikoura to Chirstchurch
18 Depart Christchurch 10.50am

Workable? Or i should allocate more time to certain part?

orange1988

Reaction score

3 Franz Josef Glacier
4 FJG to Wanaka
5 Wanaka
6 Wanaka to Queenstown
7 Queenstown
8 Queenstown
9 Te Anau
10 Milford Sound
11 Te Anau to Dunedin
12 Dunedin
13 Dunedin to Mount Cook
14 Lake Tekapo
16 Kaikoura

Workable ba.. but do note that as u are driving in anti clockwise direction u may miss out on some of the best views along the coastal routes which is betta appreciated if u can drive in a clockwise direction (due to left hand side driving like Singapore)

And if you could really give Dunedin a miss (which i highly recommend so given ur limited time), your route may be much smoother without making too much detours and u could save alot of driving hrs as well.. giving u more days in places like Queenstown, Wanaka or Mount Cook..

Milford Sound can also be done in a day trip from Queenstown if you leave very early in the morning and be back by evening.. And in that case u can save one day in Te Anau.. although Te Anau also worth a visit.. If you have the time i actually recommend Doubtful Sound instead which i very much prefer it over Milford.. haha.. but both are beautiful lah..

Actually all in all.. everywhere is beautiful in NZ, 18 days is definitely not enuf!!!

hahaha.. oh and if you are below 30yo i HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go for a 6 mths Working Holiday in NZ.. haha..

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would trade dunedin for abel tasman or mount cook. They've got kayak + beach walk full day trip in abel tasman which is excellent. We went for the kayak before and we stopped in a lagoon filled with baby seal. They're so playful and will approach and swim alongside the kayak.
But of course depend on you which activities you like most.

Sounds good! Didn't went to Dunedin when I went to South Island the other time. Will put this in for my next trip. :)

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows how the parking system is like at the South Island? And is it possible to stop on the roads for a picture?

Most scenic areas will have spots for you to stop your car for photo-taking. No worries. Just be careful and take the usual precautions such as slow down and signal when you intend to stop. :)

hutkahn

Reaction score

3 Franz Josef Glacier
4 FJG to Wanaka
5 Wanaka
6 Wanaka to Queenstown
7 Queenstown
8 Queenstown
9 Te Anau
10 Milford Sound
11 Te Anau to Dunedin
12 Dunedin
13 Dunedin to Mount Cook
14 Lake Tekapo
16 Kaikoura

If you're willing to skip Dunedin, can do Christchurch-Lake Tekapo-Mt Cook-Wanaka/Queenstown instead, and then go up the west coast to FJG, then either straight up to Nelson/Abel Tasman or stop in between, coming back down the east coast via kaikoura to Christchurch.

If you're really keen on the glacier hikes at FJG, better pray for good weather on the day you will be there, or allocate another day as buffer. I didn't manage to go up both days I was there because of rain and clouds :(

I was in Dunedin for about 3 days, frankly speaking other than some of the architecture around the Octagon being quite cool, there's not much to do there. Rather you go Nelson/abel tasman for some kayaking/cruising instead

Sent from using GAGT

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just ticketed my return tickets to Auckland. Going for full 9 days. Can anyone share your self drive itinerary? Thanks!

Btw, i already spent 16 days at south island last year, so want to explore north this time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.