HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #31
Master Member

Hi all im planning a trip to South Island in late June/early July

1. Winter time there during this period. Can I still enjoy the views in the pics posted by Socrates?

2. Which is the cheapest mode to fly to Christchurch?

3. Heard recommendations that it's better to rent a caravan and drive around and sleep at trailer parks. Anyone tried that before and care to share your experience?
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #32

Winter time has its own beautiful views that Summer doesnt have especially in the South Island. I think its more enjoyable to enjoy the sights in nice cool weather. Milford Sound with all its waterfalls would be spectacular in winter and spring but of cos the west coast of south island is very erratic weather wise. I do not think you will miss much going in winter.

I do not think you get tickets that are too cheap. From SG, Only SQ flies direct to Christchurch and Qantas is via Australia territories. But winter tickets would definitely be cheaper then summer tickets. If 2 to go, I would think SQ would be a pretty good deal. 10 hours on the plane, SQ with its unparalleled entertainment Krisworld is so much important haha. My flight to Christchurch during last Sep was around 1278.

Caravan despite what many people say about being easy to drive and handle may not be enjoyable for us at least not for me. I think its difficult to drive especially on unsealed roads. Try driving a caravan around the unending bends and unsealed road sandy roads from Queenstown to Wanaka or when I drove up to Mount Cardrona, where the lanes are just good for 2 cars and there are no railings to stop you from falling into abyss, driving a caravan might add to the pressure. And its not all free anyway, you need to pay for trailer parks and most trailer parks do not have good views and you still got to top up your water supply only at parks etc....i would say get a car, its not very expensive if you get an old car, i got a 10 yr old corolla which looks bad bt works very well for less than 500 bucks for 13 days with GPS, tyre and windscreen insurance.
gasband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #33

donald83:

While on the road every other vehicle seems to be a camper van but I would always prefer to rent a car and stay in motels, B&Bs etc. There are a lot of nice accomadation around in NZ and staying in one os not only a good experience but it is sure beter than staying in cramped environment.

If you know the exact days of your trip, keep a lookout for promotions and book fast!

Main thing I feel is not to rush through your trip but to sit still at times and enjoy the great scenery.

time to just sit and stare...
tewem and YukiiYukii like this.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

its beautiful!!!
jerichoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #35
Master Member

Tks gasband and socrates for the valuable info. guess i'll rent a car and drive then. can start to plan already. going around july.

socrates u also fly by SQ? Normally when is the period where SQ having promotion to Christchurch?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #36

donald83:

While on the road every other vehicle seems to be a camper van but I would always prefer to rent a car and stay in motels, B&Bs etc. There are a lot of nice accomadation around in NZ and staying in one os not only a good experience but it is sure beter than staying in cramped environment.

If you know the exact days of your trip, keep a lookout for promotions and book fast!

Main thing I feel is not to rush through your trip but to sit still at times and enjoy the great scenery.

time to just sit and stare...
fantastic picture of lake tekapo, i am right? Summer time picture compared to my spring time picture got difference haha...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #37

Yes I also flew by SQ booked at a good price at $1278. (Usual price was at least $400 more) I booked my ticket in early Sept and flew in dec. Have never booked and planned a trip so early. I did not actually spot any adverts, I happen to find out about the promotion when I spoke to a tour agent friend on the phone. Tour agents know of promotions much better/faster than us and so made a quick decison to go for this trip as it was always a dream to go to NZ

Don't drive everywhere, make sure to go for walks as well esp in the early morning or evenings before sunset.
tewem and GenuineSeller like this.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #38

Gasband that picture as at te anau my fav place. Unfornately when I was at tekapo it was very cloudy and very very very cold (less than 5 degrees). how's your England trip planning coming along?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #39

Gasband that picture as at te anau my fav place. Unfornately when I was at tekapo it was very cloudy and very very very cold (less than 5 degrees). how's your England trip planning coming along?
that one haven plan haha... nx week i am going cambodia for 6 days then come back then next day go Shanghai for 4 days haha! AFter that would still to clear Vietnam and Bangkok or Boracay or Bali.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #40

wow ur te anau picture is nice... when i was in te anau it was raining for 2 full days haha
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #41

nice scenery. lovely
Bungarus_fasciatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #42

Yes the weather was very good when I was in Te Anau. Just the day before I arrived I was told it was raining continously but no rain when I was there.

Stayed here at the lakeside motels, facing the lake, ducks swimming in the lake, blue skies and nice garden flowers. Currently so crazy at work in Singapore and wish I could unwind my day in front of this type of scenery.

Gasband: Wonderful that you can go on more holidays so soon again. be sure to post pictures and report when you get back. Have a safe and fun trip !
tewem likes this.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #43
Master Member

wow the pics are so nice. can't wait to go there. will ask u guys for more info like car rental, accommodation etc when the date draws near

but why so many ppl prefer southern island rather than northern island?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #44

wow the pics are so nice. can't wait to go there. will ask u guys for more info like car rental, accommodation etc when the date draws near

but why so many ppl prefer southern island rather than northern island?
If you ask even the Kiwis in the North Island, they will also say that the south is the gem in NZ. North Island generall is flat but in the South you have plenty of interesting landscapes and most importantly SPACE!!! in a country of 4 mil, South Island only holds 1 mil of that. imagine the amount of space u get in that big island?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #45

Hello socrates,

I have pm you. Can i get your itinery from you as a reference to plan for my itinery to new zeland?
conan_kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.