HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #451

how much u selling it ?
As communicated, please see the screen shots. I have "deleted" the phone number in the photo.

GenuineSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #452

..... deleted....
P.S. I recommend milford over doubtful, you can google for alot of comparison in the net
I'm fine with night driving.
I ever drove thru Great Ocean Road (Melb) at night + drizzling back in Aug 2011.
The next day, drove back like 30mins or so before continuing the journey

Milford too commercial I heard ? So many boats & helicopters...
Although I'm really keen to drive on TeAnau - Milford Highway. Use Google Maps & 'drove' thru using the mouse.. very scenic drive !

Thanks to Sellun & Veryred, updated my itineraries:

1-3) 26 Jul-29Jul: no change
4) 30 Jul: (leave at 08:00?) drive back to Auckland, take 14:40 flight to Nelson. Pick-up car @Nelson Airport & stay 1 night.
5) 31 Jul: 4hr drive to Greymouth & stay 1 night
6) 1 Aug: 3hr drive to franz Josef & stay 1 night
7) 2 Aug: 6hr drive to Q/town & stays 3 nights (gondola, jetboat, bungy, Coronet Peak, Milford/Doubtful Sound)
8) 5 Aug: 4hr drive to Dunedin (Monarch Widlife Cruises, Larnach Castle), stay 1 night
9) 6 Aug: 5-6hr drive to Mt. Cook (Lake Tekapo, salmon ?), stay 1 night. Very likely drive back to Cromwell then (as Veryred suggested) enjoys Lindiss Pass
10) 7 Aug: 5hr drive to Christchurch, stay 2 nights.
Any idea what to see/do at Christchurch since I'll return the car at 4pm on the 8th ?
11) 9 Aug: 06:30 flight to Sydney then to Sgp

Last edited by zoer; 09-07-2014 at 01:24 AM..
zoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #453

yea you can ask the rental guy to show you how to fit the ice chain, and yea you can just watch youtube first to familiarize.

driving at 6am is really dangerous, not only there are no lights, the black ice in winter is no joke. Honestly, don't risk it. better to be safe than sorry.

I think doubtful sound is a nice place, especially when you can kayak and swim in the lake and most of the time you get dolphins swimming alongside you But I don't think you want to kayak or swim in winter and if i not wrong the kayak shop not open during winter also - need to check.

Yes, Milford sound is more commercialized because they get more visitor as it is rather straightforward to access. You can take a coach or drive there and get on the cruise. But for doubtful, you need to take a boat, bus and then cruise. Which also means more expensive to get to. But if cost is not an issue for you, by all means.

If you have 1 full day in christchurch I suggest you take a day trip. Either to kaikoura or akaroa. Depending on your interest, kaikoura for to see seals, whale watch. Along the way there are beach you can go to pick oysters as well. Akaroa is a small french settlement, get to see the nice bank peninsula, chill out in nice cafes or something .
veryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #454

yea you can ask the rental guy to show you how to fit the ice chain, and yea you can just watch youtube first to familiarize.

driving at 6am is really dangerous, not only there are no lights, the black ice in winter is no joke. Honestly, don't risk it. better to be safe than sorry.

I think doubtful sound is a nice place, especially when you can kayak and swim in the lake and most of the time you get dolphins swimming alongside you But I don't think you want to kayak or swim in winter and if i not wrong the kayak shop not open during winter also - need to check.

Yes, Milford sound is more commercialized because they get more visitor as it is rather straightforward to access. You can take a coach or drive there and get on the cruise. But for doubtful, you need to take a boat, bus and then cruise. Which also means more expensive to get to. But if cost is not an issue for you, by all means.

If you have 1 full day in christchurch I suggest you take a day trip. Either to kaikoura or akaroa. Depending on your interest, kaikoura for to see seals, whale watch. Along the way there are beach you can go to pick oysters as well. Akaroa is a small french settlement, get to see the nice bank peninsula, chill out in nice cafes or something .
I'm not so sure about kayaking at doubtful, but rosco's milford do have winter kayaking. I've personally done with them during early winter. Definitely not your typical tourist, commercialized way to explore milford, winter is a good time to visit milford and it will not be crowded like summer.. There's a reason why so many people wanna visit that place.

nevertheless zoer your updated itinerary looks good! franz to QT will be a very long drive.. should take longer than 6hrs.. and regarding the night @ mt cook, if you're just staying there for 1 night with no activity... i would recommend lake tekapo instead, beautiful small town to relax before you end your beautiful holiday. You can save that 1-2hrs of return travelling time as well.

Have fun! NZ is an awesome country
sellun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #455

I'm not so sure about kayaking at doubtful, but rosco's milford do have winter kayaking. .....
Won't do kayaking/long walk/hiking, especially not in chilly winter

nevertheless zoer your updated itinerary looks good! franz to QT will be a very long drive.. should take longer than 6hrs.. and regarding the night @ mt cook, if you're just staying there for 1 night with no activity... i would recommend lake tekapo instead, beautiful small town to relax before you end your beautiful holiday. You can save that 1-2hrs of return travelling time as well.
Have fun! NZ is an awesome country
I purposely want to stay at Mt. Cook since it's a ulu place.
On the way to CCH, we plan to buy salmon at Pukaki Info Center, then spend 1-2hr @Lake Tekapo.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #456

Swimming in the lake during winter ? brrrr....

Thanks veryred, will ask wife to choose either 1 of the above
Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #457
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys I've looked at 1 sample itinerary from page 9 or 10 (can't remember) for a 18-19 days New Zealand Trip. I am not planning to stay that long maybe max 14 days.

Would someone knowledgable help me to shave off 4-5 days from this itinerary.

Also I have confidence in my driving (in Indonesia), but not too sure of how it might work out in New Zealand. Is is tricky to drive in early to Mid August?

Thanks guys, this is the itinerary that I was talking about. (Ps: thanks to the original owner)

NZ Trip Iti Final

Addition:

Traveling with wife only
Should I book the car and hotels in advance here or when I'm in NZ?
info_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #458

One way to shave off the 4 - 5 days is to skip North Island. I think it's more than enough to go on the South Island. If you want to, do another trip to the North Island as there are a lot more places to go up north of Auckland.

By the way, to me, it's weird to drive from Wanaka to Mt Cook and then back to Queenstown. I would have done Dunedin to Mt Cook, then back to Christchurch.

You route is almost similar to mine, except that a) I drove up to Blenheim and back to Christchurch before heading to Greymouth; b) I did not spent time at Milford Sound, I went Doubtful Sound instead; c) I only spent an afternoon at Dunedin; d) I did Lake Tekapo and Mt Cook on my way to Christchurch.
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #459

for some reason I can't open the link, but I agree with alpc, focus on either north or south. I would prefer south, but it is up to you.
Early to mid aug is still very much in the winter season, days are shorter and probably just have to take care of the wet road.

Hi guys I've looked at 1 sample itinerary from page 9 or 10 (can't remember) for a 18-19 days New Zealand Trip. I am not planning to stay that long maybe max 14 days.

Would someone knowledgable help me to shave off 4-5 days from this itinerary.

Also I have confidence in my driving (in Indonesia), but not too sure of how it might work out in New Zealand. Is is tricky to drive in early to Mid August?

Thanks guys, this is the itinerary that I was talking about. (Ps: thanks to the original owner)

NZ Trip Iti Final

Addition:

Traveling with wife only
Should I book the car and hotels in advance here or when I'm in NZ?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #460

One way to shave off the 4 - 5 days is to skip North Island. I think it's more than enough to go on the South Island. If you want to, do another trip to the North Island as there are a lot more places to go up north of Auckland.

By the way, to me, it's weird to drive from Wanaka to Mt Cook and then back to Queenstown. I would have done Dunedin to Mt Cook, then back to Christchurch.

You route is almost similar to mine, except that a) I drove up to Blenheim and back to Christchurch before heading to Greymouth; b) I did not spent time at Milford Sound, I went Doubtful Sound instead; c) I only spent an afternoon at Dunedin; d) I did Lake Tekapo and Mt Cook on my way to Christchurch.
Why would you want to drive wanaka-mtcook-QT and possibly back up north again ? Unless you have too much time or money to spend on petrol, otherwise just do wanaka-qt-mtcook instead.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #461

your 14days includes fly time?? I just went for to south island this june and we had 11.5 days after excluding flying time. we did the standard southern loop anti-clockwise by campervan and it was amazing!
day1 - CHC
day2 - collection of vehicle, CHC - greymouth (in the end not enough time we stayed at jackson's retreat near AP
day3 - Jackson's to franz (in the end freedom camped at bruce bay, amazing star gazing spot)
day4 - brucebay - wanaka
day5 - wanaka - te anau
day6 - milford tour
day7 - te anau - QT
day8 - QT actvities
day9 - QT - Mt cook
day10 - Mt cook - lake tekapo (personally i feel lake tekapo more chill but overrated by many reviews, but if not doing any hikings on mt cook, good to stay at tekapo instead)
day11 - tekapo to CHC

Although we travelled by campervan and many people will assume that you can cover more with a car. We hit the highway speed limit most of the time, so by assuming you can cover more with a car that would mean that you intend to speed.. It is an amazing place to take your time and drive slowly to enjoy the scenery, plus theres the speed limit for a reason.

One thing I would do if i were to go again is to take everything slower abit and add afew more days to make enjoy ourselves more. We were still rushing once in awhile with this itinerary and i would advice not to pack in more than what i have mentioned.

Driving in south island is much easier than driving in SG! it's the winter condition that you have to worry about, but i'm sure if you follow the traffic rules you'll be just fine.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #462

You do not have to book hotels in veryyyyy advance for Aug, but do book afew days in advance once you confirm your itinerary for popular places like wanaka, QT, te anau, lake tekapo. Tho its winter, but there will be people visiting there for skiing.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #463
Master Member

Go for the Earth and Sky Tour at Lake Tekapo. It's a surreal and magical experience.. You won't regret despite the slightly steep price.
TVaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #464

Why would you want to drive wanaka-mtcook-QT and possibly back up north again ? Unless you have too much time or money to spend on petrol, otherwise just do wanaka-qt-mtcook instead.
??? You are asking info_guy or me?
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #465

Those who planning to travel around wanaka - Franz josef/fox glacier . I dont know this has been posted or not.

The haast pass will have road closure at 4pm.

South Island highway info | NZ Transport Agency

Drive early.
guanguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.