Back from South island New Zealand

MmmHmm

Reaction score
Might skip milford sound :(

As someone mentioned 2 pages ago, advice is not to drive to Milford Sound due to tricky conditions. However, most Milford Sound tours will be from Queenstown (which you're allocating a day) or Te Anau (no plans at the moment).

geniuspear

Reaction score
Hi,

im planning a trip at the moment with my friends to new zealand around mid oct period. main concern is budget as in between nw to oct ill be going on 3 other trips to bkk and tw so wadever i can save ( even $100 ) would be great.

looking at the price of direct flight to nz, the price is usually above 1k, unfortunately i wouldnt consider taking budget airline there since the flight hrs is too long.

im looking at the option of flying to aust thru scoot ( prolly gold coast ). 1 way tiks is ard $300. spend abt 2 days there and fly to nz. the gd thing is i would be able to visit aust too since i haven been there b4. however im nt sure whether flying to nz from aust will save me alot or even cost more?

would be great if i could get some info from experienced travellers

keigo22

Reaction score
Hi,

im planning a trip at the moment with my friends to new zealand around mid oct period. main concern is budget as in between nw to oct ill be going on 3 other trips to bkk and tw so wadever i can save ( even $100 ) would be great.

looking at the price of direct flight to nz, the price is usually above 1k, unfortunately i wouldnt consider taking budget airline there since the flight hrs is too long.

im looking at the option of flying to aust thru scoot ( prolly gold coast ). 1 way tiks is ard $300. spend abt 2 days there and fly to nz. the gd thing is i would be able to visit aust too since i haven been there b4. however im nt sure whether flying to nz from aust will save me alot or even cost more?

would be great if i could get some info from experienced travellers

from gold coast to NZ will be roughly 4~5hrs so you can consider Jetstar. Also you have state which part of NZ you want to go.

sellun

Reaction score
Flying to aussy then nz is a good idea. If you can get tickets at the right time. You can get two way below 800.

Scoot to oz then jetstar to nz.
I can't remember flying to/fro nz from Sydney or gold coast or Perth is the cheapest, but I remember there is quite a big diff in price.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

keigo22

Reaction score
Flying to aussy then nz is a good idea. If you can get tickets at the right time. You can get two way below 800.

Scoot to oz then jetstar to nz.
I can't remember flying to/fro nz from Sydney or gold coast or Perth is the cheapest, but I remember there is quite a big diff in price.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

again if you have all the time you wanted. Plus not to mention if you can't get the flight on the same day then you still have to pay for the hotel stay in OZ. So end up not much of a cost saving if you don't have time to waste and not looking at holiday in OZ before going to NZ.

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As someone mentioned 2 pages ago, advice is not to drive to Milford Sound due to tricky conditions. However, most Milford Sound tours will be from Queenstown (which you're allocating a day) or Te Anau (no plans at the moment).

I don't agree.
The drive to Milford sound is the highlight! I stayed at Te Anau before setting out in the morning. Since the scenery is so beautiful along the drive especially at sunrise. Cater extra time, drive slowly and absorb the views! :)

Really nothing tricky as long as you are a safe driver. It rained the day I went and the water falls streams were a lot more than usual day. Spectacular views along the way.

I recalled a section is a 1 way traffic through a tunnel in the mountain. Really interesting and exciting to drive through it within its time limit before the traffic light allows other side to come in :s13:

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't agree.
The drive to Milford sound is the highlight! I stayed at Te Anau before setting out in the morning. Since the scenery is so beautiful along the drive especially at sunrise. Cater extra time, drive slowly and absorb the views! :)

Really nothing tricky as long as you are a safe driver. It rained the day I went and the water falls streams were a lot more than usual day. Spectacular views along the way.

I recalled a section is a 1 way traffic through a tunnel in the mountain. Really interesting and exciting to drive through it within its time limit before the traffic light allows other side to come in :s13:

Homer tunnel!

I remember stopping my vehicle while waiting for traffic lights, and having the curious kea around us. The view before entering the tunnel towards milford sound was fabulous! And yes the drive was therapeutic and awesome!

I visited in summer. The stretch is safe but I cannot speak for winter where apparently there could be avalanches.

keigo22

Reaction score
I don't agree.

again like I say the advise is do not drive to Milford sound during winter cause of avalanches and black ice.

Any other day is a good drive so long don't speed and of coz make sense if you are staying at Te Anau else if drive direct from Queenstown will be a long and super tiring drive to and back.

Last edited:

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Views along the drive to Milford Sound.

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

asiandaisy

Reaction score
Will be heading to New Zealand next month, it will be winter right? Is a peacoat/trench coat with 2-3 layers inside be sufficient? Need advices on getting mobile data too!

TIA.

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be heading to New Zealand next month, it will be winter right? Is a peacoat/trench coat with 2-3 layers inside be sufficient? Need advices on getting mobile data too!

TIA.

What date are you going? When I'm back on 14 Aug, I would still have my 2degree sim with a valid data plan if I don't finish it (3GB for $50 NZD)

Hamton

Reaction score
No VISA is required for transit to NZ through Australia. Since I do not have the Posts Count to paste link, please search for Borders dot gov dot au slash Trav slash Visa slash Appl slash Visitor for confirmation

Similarly, no requirement of checking in and out of luggage since you're on the same airline.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, another question, for those who have taken Jetstar to Auckland, may I know do they give out 2 boarding passes at the first check in or need to get another boarding pass at stopover?

keigo22

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Sorry, another question, for those who have taken Jetstar to Auckland, may I know do they give out 2 boarding passes at the first check in or need to get another boarding pass at stopover?

they will give u 2 boarding passes in changi, then once u reach auckland, you need to get out of the international airport and take a transfer bus to the domestic airport.

asiandaisy

Reaction score
What date are you going? When I'm back on 14 Aug, I would still have my 2degree sim with a valid data plan if I don't finish it (3GB for $50 NZD)

Oh I'll back back a day after you haha. Maybe you can tell me how to go about getting the 2degree sim card?

Thanks!

Hamton

Reaction score
they will give u 2 boarding passes in changi, then once u reach auckland, you need to get out of the international airport and take a transfer bus to the domestic airport.

Thanks keigo22, I suppose they will give out 2 boarding passes at auckland airport to singapore with a stopover at Melbourne, right? May I know is it a free transfer bus or need to pay? Does it mean all the buses into the city and suburbs are all located at the domestic airport?

Sorry for asking many questions, first time there.

MmmHmm

Reaction score
Thanks keigo22, I suppose they will give out 2 boarding passes at auckland airport to singapore with a stopover at Melbourne, right? May I know is it a free transfer bus or need to pay? Does it mean all the buses into the city and suburbs are all located at the domestic airport?

Sorry for asking many questions, first time there.

It's a free transfer from 1 part/terminal of the Airport (International) to another part/terminal (Domestic).

MmmHmm

Reaction score
Oh I'll back back a day after you haha. Maybe you can tell me how to go about getting the 2degree sim card?

Thanks!

Just to check, are you exiting at Auckland/Queenstown/Christchurch/etc? South Island is colder than the North, but peacoat/trench coat with 2-3 layers inside would be fine for either.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.