HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #496

I went in winter when the water is at the most calm period. having said that, the water at milford is generally very calm as its not really open sea with waves. The waves normally comes from the cruise ship and the instructor will guide you. I would say 0.01% of capsizing if you don't purposely flip. The kayak they used are slightly bigger than the ones i used before so its really stable.

Its pretty tiring tho as you'll be kayaking for few hours and best to at least have one person (the one at the back) with kayak experience.
hi sellun
thks for ur helpful reply!
wow...kayaking for few hrs... i was thinking it will be a v relaxing & leisure kayaking experience... i not v fit n my fren & i both no kayak experience.

so e instructor will guide u to kayak to different places of milford sound? i was thinking of taking e cruise too...but doing both kayaking at cruise seems to b repetitive? if i do only kayak, i dun tink i wont b able to experience e whole sound? which do u suggest for firstimer to NZ - cruise or kayak better?

i m also considering doubtful sound...hahaha... thinking if i shld do both sounds...
coachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #497

i wanted to heli hike franz josef but the weather was no go.
I did a heli hike from milford back to QT instead. It was awesome. Definitely worth my money.
i only knew helihiking at franz josef and fox glacier... didnt know milford to QT also got helihike.

good...if suay suay e weather also cmi when i m there, at least i know a backup plan now!

tks!
Old 19-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #498

i check SQ NZ air tic prices.. woah cost $2.1k per pax. no promotion now, only flexi tics...

anyone can advise roughly how cheap can the tics to NZ go down to (assuming there is some promo)? 1.5K or lower?

not v interested to consider other airlines due to e lengthy stopovers...
Old 19-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #499

you check SQ of course cost you a bomb...

Changi to Seletar also cost a bomb with Sq
Old 19-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #500

sq is the only airline direct to NZ right? other airlines gt stopover one, of cos cheaper...
Old 19-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #501

i flew jetstar
Old 19-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #502

hi sellun
thks for ur helpful reply!
wow...kayaking for few hrs... i was thinking it will be a v relaxing & leisure kayaking experience... i not v fit n my fren & i both no kayak experience.

so e instructor will guide u to kayak to different places of milford sound? i was thinking of taking e cruise too...but doing both kayaking at cruise seems to b repetitive? if i do only kayak, i dun tink i wont b able to experience e whole sound? which do u suggest for firstimer to NZ - cruise or kayak better?

i m also considering doubtful sound...hahaha... thinking if i shld do both sounds...

No experience should be fine, but I think you should just ask rosco's directly and they will give you the best advise. I believe kayaking will allow you to see more than cruise. You'll be going to places nearer to waterfalls, shallow water where cruise can't enter and etc. heard cases of people kayaking along side with dophins and seals (must be v lucky)
Doubtful is another beautiful place, if you have the time, why not! But it MAY look somewhat similar with Milford for some people. I would suggest you to do one of the walks/hikes to see something different. Kepler track is something doable with one day.

i check SQ NZ air tic prices.. woah cost $2.1k per pax. no promotion now, only flexi tics...

anyone can advise roughly how cheap can the tics to NZ go down to (assuming there is some promo)? 1.5K or lower?

not v interested to consider other airlines due to e lengthy stopovers...
I flew jet star there, cost only about 850, but I heard jetstar stopped going to South Island.. Sq cheapest also about 1.5k.. Another option you can explore is scoot to Sydney and tour 1-2days before flying jet star to nz. Aussie to nz very very cheap.
sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #503

Whoa. I was planning on a trip to the north island, but having seen this thread, I'm having second thoughts. Hahaha. Nice photos everyone! Hope to make use of the info here when I finalise booking of my air tickets!
punggolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #504

jetstar has stopped their flights to nz alrd.
if you dare can take MAS. 800+ return
veryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #505

jetstar has stopped their flights to nz alrd.
if you dare can take MAS. 800+ return

erm

checked just now

imgur: the simple image sharer
Old 20-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #506

erm

checked just now

imgur: the simple image sharer
Whoops I didn't word properly.
Jetstar stopped their direct flights to NZ from SG.
Cheapest flights to Asia axed - news - travel | Stuff.co.nz

Might as well fly full carrier? I can't imagine myself cramped in a budget airline flight for ten over hours

Last edited by veryred; 20-08-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Old 20-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #507

I flew jet star there, cost only about 850, but I heard jetstar stopped going to South Island.. Sq cheapest also about 1.5k.. Another option you can explore is scoot to Sydney and tour 1-2days before flying jet star to nz. Aussie to nz very very cheap.
Actually aus to nz isn't very cheap. (that's what we thought at first as well)

My boyfriend got his sydney- akl flight for 240aus 1 way no baggage (virgin airline on sale. I have been stalking the airfare for 6 months to get this price)

his christchurch to sydney flight was 190nzd no baggage (airnz on sale)

and his sydney flight return via scoot was about 650sgd no baggage

Scoot delayed their bloody flight, and up he had to forfeit his virgin flight from syd - akl and had to rebook which costed extra $260aus. He also had to camp in the airport for 17hours.

Would rather have spent the money on full carrier airline instead. No need camp in airport, no need scared of one of the flight delay.
Old 20-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #508

Actually aus to nz isn't very cheap. (that's what we thought at first as well)

My boyfriend got his sydney- akl flight for 240aus 1 way no baggage (virgin airline on sale. I have been stalking the airfare for 6 months to get this price)

his christchurch to sydney flight was 190nzd no baggage (airnz on sale)

and his sydney flight return via scoot was about 650sgd no baggage

Scoot delayed their bloody flight, and up he had to forfeit his virgin flight from syd - akl and had to rebook which costed extra $260aus. He also had to camp in the airport for 17hours.

Would rather have spent the money on full carrier airline instead. No need camp in airport, no need scared of one of the flight delay.

It really depends on how you plan, and also sometimes... luck...
If I were to go full budget, I can get 700+ return if I really plan carefully.
Scoot to sydney + jetstar to CHC.
I would have 1 extra day at sydney to offset any delay (if delay more than 6hrs can claim insurance), can just tour sydney.

Nevertheless, I flew jetstar to CHC (transit @ auckland) @ SGD850 before. They used airbus A330 for their long distance which is very acceptable for me (maybe i have lower expectation)
$850 VS $1200+++++, I would take jetstar anytime.
sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #509

Might as well fly full carrier? I can't imagine myself cramped in a budget airline flight for ten over hours
you are not flying A380 first class...economy has the same legroom on all Airbus A320 whatever..

this idea that budget airlines = mcm India's 3rd class trains is hard to extinct
Old 21-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #510

NZ Prepaid SIM card

Hi,

In case you need 1 (or a few ), I've 1 used Telecom micro-SIM card which will expire on Tue, 26 Aug. It still has 397MB of data & 84mins local call left.
(Telecom NZ is known as Spark now - Spark New Zealand Official Website)

Also 2 x unused 2degrees SIM cards (2degrees - Prepay & Pay Monthly mobile phone plans - 2degrees)

FOC & pick up at my place.

SMS 93B3 34GB.
Thanks.

Last edited by zoer; 21-08-2014 at 03:50 PM..
zoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.