Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #571

Anybody selling nzd at better rates than money changer? I need abt 4k nzd
amah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #572
High Supremacy Member

Around Auckland, I'd hit Piha beach (about 1hr west of Auckland city) for the black sand beach, and perhaps Rangitoto and Waiheke islands (vineyards).
I was reading up on Waiheke island. Since I am renting a car, should i take a car ferry over and drive there? Am intending to find a nice villa or apartment to stay for a night or two! Are meals easily accessible there?
nicholaslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #573

we are heading to CHC arriving first week of Dec , going to mount cook , wanaka and queenstown .
I am currently looking for a lakehouse nearby wanaka , any reccomendation ? prefer a place that is by the lakeside we have 7 adults and a kid
x_xicecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #574

Lightbulb WTS: NZ Intercity bus passes

If any of you are planning on taking buses in NZ, I have two Intercity Flexipasses to sell. Each one has 18 hours (worth NZD 147) and is valid until 30-Apr-2016.

They are a great way to travel round the country. And yes, they're totally transferable, so it's all legit! The reason I have to sell these is that my travel companion already bought them, and I hadn't checked beforehand.

PM me to negotiate and purchase.

Happy travels!
tripletrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #575

we are heading to CHC arriving first week of Dec , going to mount cook , wanaka and queenstown .
I am currently looking for a lakehouse nearby wanaka , any reccomendation ? prefer a place that is by the lakeside we have 7 adults and a kid
Try www.holidayhouses.co.nz

hutkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #576

anyone selling nzd? need 2.5k sgd worth
spuispui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #577

Anyone tried BA flights from SIN to Christchurch?

Hi all,

Appreciate some advice on flights. We are planning a trip to South Island this Sep and were looking at flight schedules. SQ is the only airline with direct flights to Christchurch and they are a slight tad expensive. Found BA flight schedule which I wonder if it's do-able especially the return segment where the stopovers at Auckland and Sydney is only 1 over hour? Anyone took these flights to share if we have to load/offload my luggage? And is Terminal D and I in AKL airport very far apart? Can we make the transfer in 1hour? Many thanks for any thoughts.

----- DEPART -----
SIN-SYD 1920/0505+1 BA15
Stop over SYD Terminal 1 for 3h5m
SYD-CHC 1005/1510 Air New Zealand 884

----- RETURN -----
CHC-AKL 0955/1115 Air New Zealand 514
Arrive AKL Terminal D Stop over for 1hr20m

AKL-SYD 1300/1335 Air New Zealand 719
Depart AKL Terminal I
Arrive SYD Terminal 1 Stop over for 1hr55m

SYD-SIN 1530/2145 BA16

Regards,
Apple
miniapple25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #578

Hi all,

Appreciate some advice on flights. We are planning a trip to South Island this Sep and were looking at flight schedules. SQ is the only airline with direct flights to Christchurch and they are a slight tad expensive. Found BA flight schedule which I wonder if it's do-able especially the return segment where the stopovers at Auckland and Sydney is only 1 over hour? Anyone took these flights to share if we have to load/offload my luggage? And is Terminal D and I in AKL airport very far apart? Can we make the transfer in 1hour? Many thanks for any thoughts.

----- DEPART -----
SIN-SYD 1920/0505+1 BA15

----- RETURN -----

Depart AKL Terminal I

SYD-SIN 1530/2145 BA16

Regards,
Apple
I personally find 1 hour to be a little tight if there are delays on the inbound flight into AKL and the knock on effects of your next flight from SYD. Since you are not booking on the same ticket, you won't be entitled to re bookings or refunds should you miss the BA flight. It's not a risk I was willing to take when I was planning my trip to CHC.

Why not book Qantas? They have codeshare with Emirates as well for a wider selection of flights and it also gives you peace of mind knowing its booked on a single itinerary. And it involves only 1 transfer on either leg.

I booked my flight on SQ in the end though. Save all the hassle.
punggolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #579

Hi all,

----- DEPART -----
SIN-SYD 1920/0505+1 BA15

----- RETURN -----

Depart AKL Terminal I

SYD-SIN 1530/2145 BA16

Regards,
Apple
If it's booked on a single itinerary, you should be fine and luggage etc should be checked-through. If you're booking separately, then not enough time.

What about Qantas/Emirates options? I found their pricing to be quite competitive with BA's, plus Emirates food tends to be better they should also have flights with 1 stopover (probably SIN-MLB-CHC) which is less troublesome
Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #580

Hi guys, have bought my tickets for 9 days (excluding flight) to South Island. Is it sufficient to see the main sights? I'm a scenic person. Reaching christchurch at 2pm.

Thinking whether to pay an extra 100 bucks to extend by 2 days.

Saw this itinerary and think may not need so many days at QT, any suggestions?

d1 - arrive in cc. take a day trip to kaikoura or akaroa. have a good night rest
d2- collect car. drive to fox glacier / franz josef glacier . overnight
d3 - ice walk in glacier. drive to wanaka. over night @ wanaka
d4 - QT
d5- ??
d6- ??
d7- dunedin
d8- lake tekapo
d9- mt cook
d10- ??
d11- sg

Last edited by darknezx; 04-05-2015 at 02:49 PM..
darknezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #581

Hi guys, have bought my tickets for 9 days (excluding flight) to South Island. Is it sufficient to see the main sights? I'm a scenic person. Reaching christchurch at 2pm.

Thinking whether to pay an extra 100 bucks to extend by 2 days.

Saw this itinerary and think may not need so many days at QT, any suggestions?

d1 - arrive in cc. take a day trip to kaikoura or akaroa. have a good night rest
d2- collect car. drive to fox glacier / franz josef glacier . overnight
d3 - ice walk in glacier. drive to wanaka. over night @ wanaka
d4 - QT
d5- ??
d6- ??
d7- dunedin
d8- lake tekapo
d9- mt cook
d10- ??
d11- sg
When will you be going? For day 1 I don't think it's possible to day-trip out to Kaikoura without your own car since it's a 2-hr drive each-way.

FJ is also quite out of the way, since you have 9 days only, I suggest you skip it and just keep to the central/east parts.

Assuming you're flying back out from CC, maybe you can consider this:

Day 1: Arrive CC, collect car, drive to Lake Tekapo and overnight
Day 2: Tekapo - Mt. Cook, short walks (Hooker Valley track 3-4hrs return; worth it), spend the night at Mt. Cook/Twizel
Day 3: Wanaka (spend 2-3 days here if possible, go for one or more hikes if you're able and the weather is good)
Day 4: Wanaka
Day 5: Wanaka/Go to Queenstown
Day 6: Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 8: Queenstown/Glenorchy
Day 9: Dunedin, overnight
Day 10: Drive up the east coast back to CC, overnight
Day 11: Flight back to SG

From Queenstown you can also take a half-day trip out to Arrowtown (historic Chinese settlement), drive up to Glenorchy for nice views of the lake, and at Glenorchy/Paradise there's some awesome scenery as well.

Can also consider taking a daytrip by coach ex Queenstown to Milford Sound (takes up the whole day).

You can cut QT short by a day for Dunedin, but Dunedin itself has nothing much to me, probably drive around see the architecture, world's steepest slope, Cadbury factory, and maybe drive up the peninsular to the castle but there's nothing too exciting there.

You'd also notice I didn't budget much time for CC, but that's because there's really nothing much to see in town haha. Drop by the cardboard church, downtown area to see the destruction/makeshift mall, and I'd say you're pretty much done.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #582

When will you be going? For day 1 I don't think it's possible to day-trip out to Kaikoura without your own car since it's a 2-hr drive each-way.

FJ is also quite out of the way, since you have 9 days only, I suggest you skip it and just keep to the central/east parts.

Assuming you're flying back out from CC, maybe you can consider this:

Day 1: Arrive CC, collect car, drive to Lake Tekapo and overnight
Day 2: Tekapo - Mt. Cook, short walks (Hooker Valley track 3-4hrs return; worth it), spend the night at Mt. Cook/Twizel
Day 3: Wanaka (spend 2-3 days here if possible, go for one or more hikes if you're able and the weather is good)
Day 4: Wanaka
Day 5: Wanaka/Go to Queenstown
Day 6: Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 8: Queenstown/Glenorchy
Day 9: Dunedin, overnight
Day 10: Drive up the east coast back to CC, overnight
Day 11: Flight back to SG

From Queenstown you can also take a half-day trip out to Arrowtown (historic Chinese settlement), drive up to Glenorchy for nice views of the lake, and at Glenorchy/Paradise there's some awesome scenery as well.

Can also consider taking a daytrip by coach ex Queenstown to Milford Sound (takes up the whole day).

You can cut QT short by a day for Dunedin, but Dunedin itself has nothing much to me, probably drive around see the architecture, world's steepest slope, Cadbury factory, and maybe drive up the peninsular to the castle but there's nothing too exciting there.

You'd also notice I didn't budget much time for CC, but that's because there's really nothing much to see in town haha. Drop by the cardboard church, downtown area to see the destruction/makeshift mall, and I'd say you're pretty much done.
Thanks for the advice bro! I'm going from Aug 21 (touchdown) to Aug 29 (last night). Want to extend till 31 Aug (last night), but weighing whether the 2 days are worth it.

In your opinion, 100 bucks per pax worth the extra 2 days?

Also, am planning to rent a car when I reach CC, all the way till the end. Not confident that I can drive a campervan with my normal driver's license.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #583

Thanks for the advice bro! I'm going from Aug 21 (touchdown) to Aug 29 (last night). Want to extend till 31 Aug (last night), but weighing whether the 2 days are worth it.

In your opinion, 100 bucks per pax worth the extra 2 days?

Also, am planning to rent a car when I reach CC, all the way till the end. Not confident that I can drive a campervan with my normal driver's license.
I'd gladly pay that much to extend 2 days in NZ haha. Once you go there, you never want to leave...

Since you're going during the tail-end of winter, all the more I suggest not going to FJ since the passes are susceptible to road closures if I'm not wrong.

Driving there is a breeze, State Highway traffic is low, lots of places for you to stop and have a break/admire the scenery. All the same, wouldn't suggest driving past 3 hours at a time if you're the only driver because you will get damn shagged. With the exception of maybe QT-Dunedin and Dunedin-CHC the rest of the journey should be about 2hrs drive.

If you're still keen on kaikoura, maybe can drive up and spend a day there depending on the whale-watching schedule and availability. If not, more time in tekapo/wanaka/qt are also good options for more photo ops and exploring the area

Tip: star-gazing at Lake Tekapo is a must. Rather than going up Mt. John and paying for the observatory you can just go to the residential area and drive further in until you hit the tracks to the forests. Insanely dark there and you get equally awesome views for free

Old 07-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #584

I'd gladly pay that much to extend 2 days in NZ haha. Once you go there, you never want to leave...

Since you're going during the tail-end of winter, all the more I suggest not going to FJ since the passes are susceptible to road closures if I'm not wrong.

Driving there is a breeze, State Highway traffic is low, lots of places for you to stop and have a break/admire the scenery. All the same, wouldn't suggest driving past 3 hours at a time if you're the only driver because you will get damn shagged. With the exception of maybe QT-Dunedin and Dunedin-CHC the rest of the journey should be about 2hrs drive.

If you're still keen on kaikoura, maybe can drive up and spend a day there depending on the whale-watching schedule and availability. If not, more time in tekapo/wanaka/qt are also good options for more photo ops and exploring the area

Tip: star-gazing at Lake Tekapo is a must. Rather than going up Mt. John and paying for the observatory you can just go to the residential area and drive further in until you hit the tracks to the forests. Insanely dark there and you get equally awesome views for free
Crap, no available flights to extend my trip. Warning to all those who book through Expedia/Agoda/priceline etc, dont!

We're thinking to go see the glaciers, after all, if we're already there, might as well. So, modified the direction of the itinerary, would this work? Not sure whether I should spend 3 days in Wanaka or QT, but I only have 9 full days in total.

Day 1: (reach at 2pm) Christchurch to Tekapo
Day 2: Tekapo and Mount Cook
Day 3: Queenstown
Day 4: Queenstown
Day 5: Queenstown
Day 6: Wanaka
Day 7: Wanaka
Day 8: FJG
Day 9: FJG (in case the weather turns bad)
Day 9: Drive through Arthur's Pass to CC
Old 07-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #585

Guys.

I just booked tickets to Auckland for July 15 Each head about $880

Will be there from 07-18July15

Arriving at 070715 late night while departing 180715 midnight. So practically 2 days is gone.

First time to NZ. Was intending to do a campervan vacation this time.

Looking for some interesting itineraries online. Found 2 of them from official NZ tourism website. Any views?

http://www.newzealand.com/sg/trips-a...gton-auckland/

http://www.newzealand.com/sg/trips-a...orne-auckland/

PSPS. Didn't notice this was a thread for south.

No prob, there's no thread for North Island anyway

The itineraries look quite xiong, you'd be spending quite a fair bit of time on the roads. If campervan your speed will be slower also so the travel time will be longer. If you want to cover the whole of North Island, maybe can consider Auckland - Rotorua - Taupo - Wellington, then fly back up by Jetstar.

But I suggest you just stick to top half of North Island, then can spend longer time at each city also.

Will you be going with family? Friends? What kind of things are you looking for? Like scenery, activities, etc.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.