HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #586

Crap, no available flights to extend my trip. Warning to all those who book through Expedia/Agoda/priceline etc, dont!

We're thinking to go see the glaciers, after all, if we're already there, might as well. So, modified the direction of the itinerary, would this work? Not sure whether I should spend 3 days in Wanaka or QT, but I only have 9 full days in total.

Day 1: (reach at 2pm) Christchurch to Tekapo
Day 2: Tekapo and Mount Cook
Day 3: Queenstown
Day 4: Queenstown
Day 5: Queenstown
Day 6: Wanaka
Day 7: Wanaka
Day 8: FJG
Day 9: FJG (in case the weather turns bad)
Day 9: Drive through Arthur's Pass to CC
You may be disappointed haha FJG from far is not very impressive. There's a walking route at the base but you can't get very close to the glacier, so if you get bad weather while at FJ, your trip is wasted (the town itself is mega boring).

Christchurch to Tekapo on Day 1 is ok, spend the night there star-gazing if skies are clear, and explore a bit in the morning can liao. Scenery is amazing there.

For day 2, are you intending to stay at Mt. Cook/Twizel for the night? Bear in mind the sun sets earlier in winter (around 5-6pm it's dark alr) and you may not want to drive at night if not familiar/comfortable with the roads. If staying in the area, should be ok if you leave Tekapo around 11/12, should have time for a quick trek at Mt. Cook (although it's winter so whether you wanna do that, up to you)

I think your time in QT and Wanaka is fine, but may not get a chance to do too many things.

For FJG, are you driving up on day 7? the drive up from Wanaka can be quite daunting esp during winter, and the Haast pass may be subject to closure (same as Arthur's Pass on your way back to CC) so if you suay, your itinerary will suffer.

If you're driving up on day 8 itself, you may not be able to get a heli ride to the glacier by the time you reach since you will probably reach in the afternoon, so only left day 9 to try your luck, so you should take that into consideration.

Haast Pass, Arthur's Pass, and Milford Road quite unpredictable during winter, I've heard.
hutkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #587

If it's booked on a single itinerary, you should be fine and luggage etc should be checked-through. If you're booking separately, then not enough time.

What about Qantas/Emirates options? I found their pricing to be quite competitive with BA's, plus Emirates food tends to be better they should also have flights with 1 stopover (probably SIN-MLB-CHC) which is less troublesome
I personally find 1 hour to be a little tight if there are delays on the inbound flight into AKL and the knock on effects of your next flight from SYD. Since you are not booking on the same ticket, you won't be entitled to re bookings or refunds should you miss the BA flight. It's not a risk I was willing to take when I was planning my trip to CHC.

Why not book Qantas? They have codeshare with Emirates as well for a wider selection of flights and it also gives you peace of mind knowing its booked on a single itinerary. And it involves only 1 transfer on either leg.

I booked my flight on SQ in the end though. Save all the hassle.
Thanks punggolkid and hutkahn for suggesting alternate route. You cannot believe it, Qantas stopping at SYD code share with other airlines to CHC is even more expensive than SQ!! So we have decided to take SQ to have more time touring NZ instead of waiting at airports for connecting flights.

Does anyone know whether itís true that itís better to drive anti-clockwise as the coast will be on your left to avoid crossing traffic when pulling in or pulling out? Meaning itís better to do Christchurch- Franz Josef- WanakaĖ Queenstown Mt Cook-Lake Tekapo Ė Christchurch correct?

And can anyone tell me about what time does it gets dark in late Sep say 18-29Sep? I hope it is later than 4pm.
miniapple25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #588

Hey guys,

I'm facing a dilemma now as our flight out of CHC will be at 0645hrs and we have to return our caravan at 1500hrs the day before.

Any ideas what to do within that period of time?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #589

Possible to travel around by public transport if i planning for free and easy
newcastlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #590

Hey guys,

I'm facing a dilemma now as our flight out of CHC will be at 0645hrs and we have to return our caravan at 1500hrs the day before.

Any ideas what to do within that period of time?

Thanks in advance!
Most likely the caravan will offer free one way transport to the airport. If you have the budget can get a room at the airport hotel, if not just overnight at the airport itself.

sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #591

Most likely the caravan will offer free one way transport to the airport. If you have the budget can get a room at the airport hotel, if not just overnight at the airport itself.
I'm wondering if theres anything to do in the late night instead of staying at the airport. Is their nightlife presence similar to SG?
Old 16-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #592

You may be disappointed haha FJG from far is not very impressive. There's a walking route at the base but you can't get very close to the glacier, so if you get bad weather while at FJ, your trip is wasted (the town itself is mega boring).

Christchurch to Tekapo on Day 1 is ok, spend the night there star-gazing if skies are clear, and explore a bit in the morning can liao. Scenery is amazing there.

For day 2, are you intending to stay at Mt. Cook/Twizel for the night? Bear in mind the sun sets earlier in winter (around 5-6pm it's dark alr) and you may not want to drive at night if not familiar/comfortable with the roads. If staying in the area, should be ok if you leave Tekapo around 11/12, should have time for a quick trek at Mt. Cook (although it's winter so whether you wanna do that, up to you)

I think your time in QT and Wanaka is fine, but may not get a chance to do too many things.

For FJG, are you driving up on day 7? the drive up from Wanaka can be quite daunting esp during winter, and the Haast pass may be subject to closure (same as Arthur's Pass on your way back to CC) so if you suay, your itinerary will suffer.

If you're driving up on day 8 itself, you may not be able to get a heli ride to the glacier by the time you reach since you will probably reach in the afternoon, so only left day 9 to try your luck, so you should take that into consideration.

Haast Pass, Arthur's Pass, and Milford Road quite unpredictable during winter, I've heard.
Sorry I was away.

Day 2 intending to stay at Tekapo. It's about an hour's drive according to the lodge I've booked.

Intending to drive up to FJG on Day 8. Checking with the helicopter rides coy to see if I can make it in time.

Btw, I think I'm gonna spend one day to go to Milford Sound, so I'll just take one day out from Queenstown. Me and my gf are not huge fans of going for canyoning and the likes.
darknezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #593

Anyone needs NZD for their upcoming trip? I have about NZD$2000.

Please contact me at 9115 8466 to discuss.
boss_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #594

I'm wondering if theres anything to do in the late night instead of staying at the airport. Is their nightlife presence similar to SG?
As far as I know... They don't really have nightlife. Similar to aussy

Old 24-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #595

seems that NZD is falling a little now is it a right time to exchange currency or should we wait till august ?
x_xicecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #596
vil

i will be going there for a 11-day trip in the last 2 wks of June. it is beginning to snow over in south island. understand during bad weather, the roads to milford sound may be closed.
vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #597

Hi, has any one experience using snow chains while travelling in South Island in June... do share some of your experience ... thanks ..
tunakahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #598

Hi, can anyone shares stargazing tour package at Mt Cook? Going in September. Googled online and came across this http://www.hermitage.co.nz/en/the-si...sky-stargazing

Last edited by xoozlez; 01-06-2015 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: spelling error
xoozlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #599

anyone knows if we can rent a berth 4 campervan with a class 3 licence?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #600

anyone knows if we can rent a berth 4 campervan with a class 3 licence?
No problem. I rented a 6berth with class 3 licence. From kia

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.