HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #601

No problem. I rented a 6berth with class 3 licence. From kia
Thanks sellun! you have been a great help all this while!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #602
Banned

Initially was going to North Island but looking at South Island attractions I decided to go south instead. So booked tickets from Jetstar.

Will be trying out camper van this time round.

Intending to follow this ITN
http://www.newzealand.com/int/trips-...-christchurch/

Day 1: Arrived late in Auckland, spend a night at airport hotel
Day 2: Domestic flight to Christchurch in morning. Collect Camper van and tour around Christchurch
Day 3: Christchurch - Greymouth
Day 4: Greymouth - Fox Glacier
Day 5: Fox Glacier - Wanaka
Day 6: Wanaka - Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 8: Queenstown - Milford Sound
Day 9: Milford Sound - Queenstown
Day 10: Queenstown - Mt Cook Village
Day 11: Mt Cook Village - Lake Tekapo - Christchurch ( Return Camper Van and flight back to Singapore )
Day 12: Flight back to Singapore @ 0010hrs

L2 years back I did a campervan trip. Drove everyday. It was fun...but tiring. My further trips if it is going to be camper van... I am going to take breaks in between those nights
Axisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #603

I have book a 14days trip to NZ this Dec. Arrive in Christchurch, depart from Auckland. Wanted to do a liesure drive but when I look at some forummer's schedule, I wonder if I have enough time for both island?

My tickets are confirmed. So now have to make the best for my permtted days.

Has anyone done similar trip (north and south in 2 weeks self drive)? Can share your itinenary here? Farm stay is a must since we are travelling with young kids.
califonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #604
Supremacy Member

Initially was going to North Island but looking at South Island attractions I decided to go south instead. So booked tickets from Jetstar.

Day 2: Domestic flight to Christchurch in morning. Collect Camper van and tour around Christchurch
Day 11: Mt Cook Village - Lake Tekapo - Christchurch ( Return Camper Van and flight back to Singapore )
My recommendation is go by clockwise. I find the East side is more scenic to West side. My recommendation places are Lake Tekapo, Oamaru , Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queentown and Kaikoura. Nothing much at West side except Glacier. Just my opinion.
megaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #605

As a Kiwi and had explored the whole island, my advices is look at the moon session, you will want to be able to do star gazing during new moon and not full moon time... so switch your tabletime around to avoid full moon when at Lake Tekapo

actually you book jetstar not much cheaper then book direct flight from Qantas to Christchurch which help you save time some more.

Day 1: Arrived late in Auckland, spend a night at airport hotel (Take a cab out to Sylvia Park (Largest shopping mall in Auckland)
Day 3: Christchurch - via arthur pass (lake lyndon and castle hill) and Not sure if you really go visit Greymouth but I say forget about it and just straight go to Fox Glacier.
Day 4: Fox Glacier
Day 5: Fox Glacier - drive via hightway 6 (Hasst Pass Hwy) then see you can spot Fantail Fall then stop at "The Neck" to see the beautiful Lake Hawea then Wanaka (visit the famous puzzling world)
Day 6: Wanaka - to arrowtown first then Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown - remember to go to Skyline Gondola
Day 8: Queenstown - advice to book tour instead of self drive to Milford Sound. it is just a 1 day tour via bus to Milford Sound and back.
If you can't go Milford Sound due to road condition, you can opt to go for Doubtful Sound which I find it much better then Milford Sound.
Day 9: Queenstown - don't forget to drive to Glenorchy for LOTR view. If you want go for early morning horse riding (High Country Horses) half day riding then go Glenorchy then back Queenstown
Day 10: Queenstown - Mt Cook Village (I would say forget going Mt Cook Village cause you won't have time due to travelling time spent. Cause Mt Cook is for hiking)
Instead Queenstown via crown range rd via Lindia Valley, then visit High Country Salmon, then Lake Pukaki then Lake Tekapo (stay a night a Lake Tekapo and go over to Church of the good shepherd for star gazing) day time at lake tekapo don't forget to drive up to Mt John
Day 11: Lake Tekapo - Christchurch ( Return Camper Van and flight back to Singapore )

Last edited by keigo22; 22-06-2015 at 04:16 PM..
keigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #606

My recommendation is go by clockwise. I find the East side is more scenic to West side. My recommendation places are Lake Tekapo, Oamaru , Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queentown and Kaikoura. Nothing much at West side except Glacier. Just my opinion.
depend on the plan, you see some you miss some...
Old 22-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #607

Some photo for those interested

Arthur Pass

Queenstown

Lake Tekapo

Moeraki Boulders
Old 22-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #608

Hi, has any one experience using snow chains while travelling in South Island in June... do share some of your experience ... thanks ..
yes since it is a perm item in my car during winter...

you need your car rental to show you how to put on the snow chain as it will be difficult for first timer. The last time you will want is to be out in the cold with cold hand trying to put on the snow chain and swearing why you cannot.

Also once successfully put on the snow chain, drive a bit and stop and come down to see if your snow chain is secure.

O in case you have not idea, snow chain fit on the front wheel normally since most car are front wheel drive and if you are back wheel drive then back of the wheel or if you are 4 wheel then best is all 4 wheels else front 2 wheels.

You will be required to put on snow chain whenever you see the snow chain sign and snow chain fitting bay.

once on snow chain, drive slow around 40km/h cause you can't drive fast with snow chain also. If there is no snow chain sign, pls do not put on snow chain as you will damage the road.
Old 22-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #609

Hi, can anyone shares stargazing tour package at Mt Cook? Going in September. Googled online and came across this http://www.hermitage.co.nz/en/the-si...sky-stargazing
either mt cook village or Lake Tekapo and the cheapest one is at Queenstown.
Old 22-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #610

i will be going there for a 11-day trip in the last 2 wks of June. it is beginning to snow over in south island. understand during bad weather, the roads to milford sound may be closed.
my advise is don't drive to Milford sound during winter cause it is totally unsafe and high chance of Avalanche. Just book a 1 day bus tour to milford sound relax and safe.
Old 23-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #611
Master Member

either mt cook village or Lake Tekapo and the cheapest one is at Queenstown.
I tried the one at Mt John, Tekapo.. It was amazing, unforgettable..
TVaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #612

I tried the one at Mt John, Tekapo.. It was amazing, unforgettable..
Mt John one is the most expensive but if clear sky then it is worth it.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #613

planning 11 days in NZ

hi gurus im planning a self drive south island
planning to cover QT lake tekapo and end at christchurch
going in august (late to end)

1. car rentals (which ones are reliable)
AVIS and hertz all quite expensive, so im looking for alternatives
planning to get a SUV or bigger sedan

2. things to do in Lake tekapo
if im not going skiing or hot pools
what else is there in lake tekapo area

thanks in adv!
mil_kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #614

hi gurus im planning a self drive south island
planning to cover QT lake tekapo and end at christchurch
going in august (late to end)

1. car rentals (which ones are reliable)
AVIS and hertz all quite expensive, so im looking for alternatives
planning to get a SUV or bigger sedan

2. things to do in Lake tekapo
if im not going skiing or hot pools
what else is there in lake tekapo area

thanks in adv!
you can use the plan what I given earlier.

As for car rental you can try this http://www.rental-car.co.nz/ cheapest in NZ and reliable too

Lake Tekapo is for star gazing only. Aug is abit late for skiing also, Hot pools is not really famous in NZ also.
Old 26-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #615
vil

I am in nz south island now.. was in lake tekapo n mount cook the last few days. Took some nice star photos. Tempature in some parts around tat area was below -10 deg. I cant imagine getting out of the car and fix chains in this kind of temperature... luckily we didnt need to do so.
vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.