HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #736

Hi
In preliminary planning to go to South Island. Need some advice.
1. For driving around NZ, do you normally stay around 1-2 nights at each stop? If travelling in 1st 2 weeks of Dec, is it peak yet that we have to book accommodation in advance or do you go around looking for accommodation when you reach each stop? Since normally staying only 1-2 nights at each stop, do you find it very troublesome keep on having to change accommodation - pack and unpack things in luggage?

2. From Christchurch to Franz Josef, I must go westward to Greymouth then new to Franz Josef? No way to go directly from Christchurch to Franz Josef?

3. From Franz Josef, not possible to go to Mt Cook directly? From Queenstown, which route is better : Queenstown-Mt Cook-Lake Tekapo or Queenstown-Lake Tekapo-Mt Cook? Whichever route I choose, there will be backtracking, correct? Eg From Queenstown take State Highway 80 to go Mt Cook, then take State Highway 80 again to State Highway 8 to go Lake Tekapo.

4. Is it easy to find eating places, toilets and petrol kiosks along the way when driving in South Island?

Thanks for advice.
1) one night every few hours drive. Two or more at each town. Dec is definitely peak and I would recommend booking in advance, even car rental.
Yes troublesome so I recommend doing campervan
2) yes no way to drive direct
3) no way except you take helicopter tour, I would go Mt cook then tekapo.
4) it's very easy, roads are straightforward. I would recommend to pump petrol every chance you have tho.

sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #737

Hi Sellun
Even if we drive campervan, we still need to check into parking sites for electricity, dumping grounds, etc. So need to pre-book these parking sites or find one along the way? If pre-book, still have to plan where will you end up in exactly every night, correct?

Just to check, if we are not keen in hiking, is it worthwhile to go Mt Cook? How long is the drive between Lake Tekapo to Mt Cook? Is Mt Cook visible from Lake Tekapo so that we can see Mt Cook without going there since we are not hiking?

Thanks for quick reply.
Careful Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #738
High Supremacy Member

Guys, I've covered South for 2 weeks honeymoon and North for 1.5 weeks in 2 separate trips.. We went to North with our 8 mths old child in Aug 2015..

Now we are thinking of returning to South with our child in may 2016.. We love the self drive and scenery experience. But not sure is it still worth going back one more time!?

nicholaslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #739

New zealand like super exp
Mockingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #740
Arch-Supremacy Member

New zealand like super exp
Great for scenery
Trazora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #741
High Supremacy Member

How will the road conditions be mid may in South Island? Will it be icy and dangerous for driving?

Old 29-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #742
High Supremacy Member

What websites do you guys use for accomodation booking at nz? I have been using booking.com.. Not intending for airbnb

Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #743

I am planning to drive 6Beth campervan, I try to search from Kia but it show not available after March, and it's ard $5k for 10days it's standard rate? do you guys have any recommendations?

I am traveling 6 person. with one child 2+ old and two about 60 year-old. I am not sure they can take it to stay in the campervan for 10days? I might thinking of also stay at motel on some of the days but this make the cost very high.

Thanks
wideCDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #744

Been to New Zealand before. I would say the scenery is super nice! If I have the chance, dont mind going again. Good for photographers.

Great for scenery
U2gamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #745
Arch-Supremacy Member

Went to New Zealand some years ago

North and south islands

Beautiful

glaciers

Ninety miles beach

And the mountains

Stunning

Appreciate their un-polluted nature
blues7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #746
Supremacy Member

Went to New Zealand some years ago

North and south islands

Beautiful

glaciers

Ninety miles beach

And the mountains

Stunning

Appreciate their un-polluted nature
pace of life is really diff from here....
Old 14-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #747
Arch-Supremacy Member

wooo im going in OCT. =) going be awesome. but traveling both the north and south.
Old 17-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #748

Hi all,

Planning a holiday to New Zealand in coming May. We have 11 actual days and wanted to stay in caravan/motorhome all the way.

South or North? I've seen most of the post are for south, is north not as nice? (Really like Hobbiton)

Is it a must to camp at a camp site at night even if I have a self sufficient motorhome? Do I need to pre book all the site? The thing is there are so many of them and its really hard to pick a few to book for the 11 days.

What are some must go places or must do activities that you would recomend for a family of 3? (incl a 2.5 years old son)

Thanks in advance!
hllow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #749

I have two Spark sim cards, one micro (can break into nano if you know how) and one nano, expiring on 12 Apr 2016 to give away.

**Given out

Last edited by Maxxy5; 29-03-2016 at 11:05 PM..
Maxxy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #750
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bookmarded....
luei74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.