HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #796

Day 3 - do you have an idea how long the drive from Lake Tekapo to Te Anau is? And to go on a cruise at Milford Sound? A 7 hour drive easily. The last cruise probably leaves at 3pm not considering it is winter now. And Milford Sound is not exactly at Te Anau BTW. Another 6 hours drive including mandatory stops along the way.

Day 6 and 7
Your flight on Day 7 is at noon.
You are staying at Fox Glacier for night of Day 6.
A 7 hour drive minimum via Arthur's Pass (likely in the night).

Do your research.
No point going for a 6 night "holiday" to NZ.
Please see my comments in blue

I will be going in dec which will be summer.
Ya i know its quite tight, but wife insist on going there for honeymoon even thou she only can take 1 week holiday

I think i make a mistake.
Issit idea if i make queenstown the main base, and everyday drive to those places for the activities? Like te anau, fox glacier etc
Carbine90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #797

I will be going in dec which will be summer.
Ya i know its quite tight, but wife insist on going there for honeymoon even thou she only can take 1 week holiday

I think i make a mistake.
Issit idea if i make queenstown the main base, and everyday drive to those places for the activities? Like te anau, fox glacier etc
Will be better, but you will stil have to leave some attractions out. Take a look at the map to work out ur itinerary. Pls also note that driving duration will b longer than expected due to sights along the way!
kakashixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #798

Day 3 - do you have an idea how long the drive from Lake Tekapo to Te Anau is? And to go on a cruise at Milford Sound? A 7 hour drive easily. The last cruise probably leaves at 3pm not considering it is winter now. And Milford Sound is not exactly at Te Anau BTW. Another 6 hours drive including mandatory stops along the way.

Day 6 and 7
Your flight on Day 7 is at noon.
You are staying at Fox Glacier for night of Day 6.
A 7 hour drive minimum via Arthur's Pass (likely in the night).

Do your research.
No point going for a 6 night "holiday" to NZ.
tekapo to te anau willtake about 1.5 to 2hrs. please do not speed as there will be mobile traffic camera. they hide and go after you
kbwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #799
Master Member

Lake Tekapo to Te Anau in 1.5 to 2 hours?

You cannot even reach Queenstown in that amount of time.

I leave that for other forum members to comment. No point arguing.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #800

tekapo to te anau willtake about 1.5 to 2hrs. please do not speed as there will be mobile traffic camera. they hide and go after you
Please don't give wrong advice, it might spoil someone's holiday. 1.5 to 2hrs can only bring you from Queenstown to Te Anau. Tekapo is several times the duration
kakashixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #801

lucky you check here, if you chiong with your plan confirm late for your flight back by few days. i'd like to suggest for you to take morning flight back from QT to CHC on last day.
Day1:CHC- no need to see the town, save energy for next morning drive
Day2:FranzJosef/Fox Glacier. Hopefully you reach afternoon. If no flight, can try next morning
Day3:Wanaka
Day4:Arrowtown, QT
Day5:QT
Day6:Take daytour package to MilfordSound
Day7:Flight back to CHC

Cons: Drop Lake Tekapo, pay more for flight QT-CHC(exp), pay more for one way car rent
Pros:Can see Milford Sound and Glacier, flight out from QT is beautifull
lookers likes this.
jimmytango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #802

Lake Tekapo to Te Anau in 1.5 to 2 hours?

You cannot even reach Queenstown in that amount of time.

I leave that for other forum members to comment. No point arguing.
Sorry, it's my mistake, I remember wrongly I drove from mount cook to te anau. It took me about 7 hours plus to reach. Still remember I ate the miles better pies
Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #803

Please don't give wrong advice, it might spoil someone's holiday. 1.5 to 2hrs can only bring you from Queenstown to Te Anau. Tekapo is several times the duration
Sorry, it's my mistake, I remember wrongly I drove from mount cook to te anau. It took me about 7 hours plus to reach. I did couple of short pee stop. Still remember I ate the miles better pies when reached te anau.
Old 15-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #804

Self-drive

Hi, those who self-drive, do you bring your GPS for use in NZ or you rent from car rental company? Will Marbella GPS work in NZ?

Thanks for replying.
Careful Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #805
Master Member

For South Island, no need GPS (personal experience). The touristy routes are pretty straightforward and well sign-posted. Otherwise download NAVmii app to your mobile which works without data.
Old 17-08-2016, 12:04 AM   #806

Noted only credit card/ATM cards with 4-digit pin work in NZ? But most credit cards and ATM cards have 6-digit pin. Any advice?

Is it scary to drive on the road in NZ where you are the only car on the road? Any possibility of getting lost?

Thanks again.
Careful Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #807

Noted only credit card/ATM cards with 4-digit pin work in NZ? But most credit cards and ATM cards have 6-digit pin. Any advice?

Is it scary to drive on the road in NZ where you are the only car on the road? Any possibility of getting lost?

Thanks again.
Can't help you with the card.

Driving alone in NZ is not scary but shiokkkk. You can totally feel freedom, however please be careful and give way as once in awhile there will be locates passing by. Hard to get lost if you stick to the main road (for south island)

lookers likes this.
sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #808

Very nice place to visit. The best is to travel round the South Island..
ugene_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #809

Thanks again.
wouldn't you be carrying cash around mostly? if credit card, no need PIN de ma. their PIN is for EFTPOS, which is NZ version of NETS.
_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #810
Supremacy Member

In New Zealand , which type of credit card is widely accepted ? Amex , VISA , MasterCard or Union Pay ?

Their hotel or resort got provide free wifi connection ?

Thanks in advance for answering.
Norman Chan is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.