HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #826

Going during December this year. Would like to hire campervan but online mostly fully booked.

Anybody know of more ulu company that u can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #827

Thanks for the info , if for the south island itself , which one will you suggest ?
just stick to vodafone or spark lor
_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #828

How much should I budget for a 3 weeks road trip in South Island? (all-in). Is March/Apr a good period to visit the country? Thanks!
feb is the end of summer, so you might still get good weather in mar. not sure about apr... you can check historical weather charts
Old 25-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #829

Going during December this year. Would like to hire campervan but online mostly fully booked.

Anybody know of more ulu company that u can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
if you're feeling brave, go to trademe and buy a used campervan, then sell it once you're done with your trip.

which companies have you tried?
Old 25-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #830

Is it better to rent a GPS or is google maps sufficient for driving around?
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #831

depend on where you'll be going.. if you're hitting the major towns, then google maps is fine. if you'll be renting for more than 8 days, might as well get a used gps (nzd80), then sell when your trip is over
Old 26-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #832

depend on where you'll be going.. if you're hitting the major towns, then google maps is fine. if you'll be renting for more than 8 days, might as well get a used gps (nzd80), then sell when your trip is over
Thanks for the suggestion, any idea where should I look for used GPS? Actually I am also open to navigating using maps, assuming they still print them in books
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #833
pjs

Thanks for the suggestion, any idea where should I look for used GPS? Actually I am also open to navigating using maps, assuming they still print them in books
If you are AA member u can get free maps from AA NZ and reciprocal breakdown service.
pjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #834

trademe.co.nz

or, you can save google maps offline. or can consider openstreetmaps.
Old 27-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #835

Just use GPS from smartphone or tablet enough. Just be sure to download Google offline maps before you start your journey.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #836
Master Member

Hey. need some help from experts here. Is april a good month to go to NZ? If i wanna drive round both north and south island, how long a trip do you think i will need? Will 15 days be enough?
April is slightly on the cold side with temperatures that can reach zero at night in places like Queenstown. However overall it is bearable with sufficient warm wears.

If you only have 15 days I suggest you just focus on the south island. Otherwise it will be too rush which won't be enjoyable for you.

I drove around south island in an anti clockwise manner last time in about 15 days.
TVaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #837

April is slightly on the cold side with temperatures that can reach zero at night in places like Queenstown. However overall it is bearable with sufficient warm wears.

If you only have 15 days I suggest you just focus on the south island. Otherwise it will be too rush which won't be enjoyable for you.

I drove around south island in an anti clockwise manner last time in about 15 days.
15 days to do both islands is do-able, but like what everyone said, it is too rush. Much also depends on what you want to see and do. If you want to have a relaxing and scenic vacation in NZ, spend your 15 days in South Island. But if you must see both islands, this is my recommendation:

Day 1: Land in Auckland and spend 1 day here.
Day 2: Drive to Rotorua
Day 3: Drive to Ruapehu/Whakapapa Village
Day 4: Drive to Wellington
Day 5: Take the first ferry out to Picton. Then onward to Kaikoura.
Day 6: Drive on to Christchurch and drive on to Lake Tekapo (after the earthquake in 2011, Christchurch city is still struggling to rebuild itself) - this is a 6-hour drive.
Day 7: Drive on to Mount Cook Village
Day 8: Drive to Queenstown, use this as a base and spend 2 days here. Visit Arrowtown and Glenorchy too.
Day 10: Drive to Milford Sound - this is a long drive, about 5 hours. Take the cruise and drive back toward Te Anau and spend one night here.
Day 11: Drive back to Queenstown and onward to Wanaka.
Day 12: Drive to Fox Glacier. By the time you get to Fox Glacier, it will be late. Best to spend 2 nights here.
Day 14: Drive to Maruia Springs via the Lewis Pass. Spend the night here. Nice hotspring baths.
Day 15: Drive to Christchurch (2.5 hours) and catch the 12 noon SQ298 flight back to SG.

Hard to catch your breaths? I reckon
May I humbly invite you to visit my blog at http://www.mybigroadtrip.com for more ideas?
I am in the midst of writing a north and south island itinerary.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #838

thanks for the tips and advice guys! guess i might just change it to a south island trip only.

@mybigroadtrip. will take a look at ur blog!
mybigroadtrip likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #839

thanks for the tips and advice guys! guess i might just change it to a south island trip only.

@mybigroadtrip. will take a look at ur blog!
Yes, South Island good enough. Can be more relaxing. If you have any questions about NZ, can ask me. I am no expert but will do my best to help you. I visit NZ every year
Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #840

Wow, I just visited your blog and your description on "New Zealand heals my soul" is so captivating !

I will be visiting New Zealand for the first time in March/April next year for 2 weeks. Initially , I thought of covering both north and south islands but having read the comments, I think I would be better off spending more time in the South Island.

I can't find any itinerary for 2 weeks in the South Island. By any chance, r u in the midst of writing something on this? If not, could you kindly share the recommended itinerary ?

My tickets are bought to fly in and out of Auckland. I guess I can't pass out a visit in Auckland entirely, so the thoughts is perhaps spending 2 days in Auckland/immediate outskirt upon landing, fly to South Island for 10/11 days, then fly back to Auckland to stay one night before flying back SG?

Thanks for your advice

Yes, South Island good enough. Can be more relaxing. If you have any questions about NZ, can ask me. I am no expert but will do my best to help you. I visit NZ every year
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.