HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #856

perhaps you may want to consider campervan instead. Provide lodging, freedom, and kitchen to do all ur cooking without any worries.
You know what? I have never done campervan before. For one thing, I usually have a bunch of people with me. I snore and i worry that my travelling party will have me for lunch if I shared a campervan with them.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:57 AM   #857
Master Member

perhaps you may want to consider campervan instead. Provide lodging, freedom, and kitchen to do all ur cooking without any worries.

You know what? I have never done campervan before. For one thing, I usually have a bunch of people with me. I snore and i worry that my travelling party will have me for lunch if I shared a campervan with them.
One of the option was campervan when started research and decided against it for following reasons:

- you _still_ need to pay fees/permits at caravan parks to get there. It can be $20-$50 per night.
- You can't park your van at a parking lot on cities and sleep there, you have to go to a park. Or stay away from the city hoping that police won't find and fine you.
- If you want a van with shower/toilet in it, it will start min $110/day rental. So with insurance and fees you are looking at minimum $150/night expenses. One can stay at budget motels or AirBnB places for half of that price
- Third party insurance covering autos DO NOT cover campervans/trucks/pickups. At least the one with reasonable prices.

Last edited by invisible999; 08-11-2016 at 01:59 AM..
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #858

I saw plenty of campervans and although you have to camp at designated campsites, they seem to be well located at most visited locations. However, many motels have built in kitchenettes in-room with stove and microwave and come at a relatively low cost. You have to weigh the pros and cons of sleeping indoors on a bed with proper toilets (and wifi).
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #859
Master Member

One questions regarding bringing a gifts

Semi-offtopic, but where I can get cheap fridge magnets with Merlion and Singapore sights? Thinking to buy several of them and give as gifts to our AirBnB hosts.

I would assume that Bugis and Chinatown would be #1 spots for them, but would be there cheap options? I don't want to pay more than $3 per piece.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #860

Thanks for suggestions regarding the diner. Any recommendations where to celebrate New Year at Dunedin?
dunedin is a student town, so everywhere also got parties lol. how do YOU wish to celebrate the new year?

so excited for you. keep us updated on the trip
_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #861

and yes, coming over during the public holidays can be quite a bother. i was at wellington during anzac day, and lots of places were closed also, for eg, next weekend there is this Canterbury day, and one of my target restaurants is closed for the whole weekend, so yeah. there *might* be some asian supermarket shops open, but dont count on it.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #862
Master Member

there *might* be some asian supermarket shops open, but dont count on it.
Honestly, I can rest from Asian food for two weeks and trash myself on pie, breach, cheese sandwiches are and real coffee.

In terms of NY celebration - I think Octagon is the middle of activities.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #863

check out zomato if you'd like to look at food reviews

also, you can consider posting on reddit's nz pages to find out more on what's happening over the new year.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #864
Master Member

check out zomato if you'd like to look at food reviews

also, you can consider posting on reddit's nz pages to find out more on what's happening over the new year.
Now that's really useful info. Thanks.

Will do it probably 10 days before departure. 45 days before NY - don't think anyone cares.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:35 AM   #865

I'm heading to Chch and oamaru next week. Haha. Let me know if you want me to check out anything for you

Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #866
Master Member

Packing list for 2 weeks road trip. Suggestions?

I personally pack very light even when I am going on 1-2 week trips. But seems that for upcoming 2 week road trip need some extra items. One of those 'extras' would be 2 set of bath because hostel charges for it.

Here is the list of stuff I plan to pack. If you think we need something else, would you share please?

Personal hygiene:

- travel soap, shampoo, toothpaste/brush, shaving foam/device, q-tips
- travel laundry detergent (can be bought at first stop at a supermarket)
- Nivea hand/face sunscreen
- 100% deet based bug spray

Clothing/stuff - just pack whatever needed for temperatures in mid 10C/15C:

- warm shirts and pullovers (2 pair)
- jacket, 2 pairs of jeans and shoes (don't have specifically good hiking ones)
- 6 pair of underwear/socks
- slippers, swimsuit
- ultralight raincoat
- ultralight foldable/wrappable pillows (two)

Technology related stuff:

- a laptop computer, ipad, phone and associated cables
- universal power socket adapter
- cat air vent magnetic phone holder
- USB car phone/ipad charger
- 3G mobile router (mifi)

Extra stuff:

- 2 pairs of bath towels
- foldable travel picnic mat (about 100cm x150cm)
- pair of kitchen utensils (knife, fork, spoons)
- travel French Press for coffee.
- two reusable and 3-4 small plastic bags to put wrap something if needed
- ziplock bags (3-4)
- flashlight
- water bottles which keep cold/warm water.

Obviously documents/credit cards

Food/coffee, toilet paper and/or hand/bath soap, laundry detergent, paper towels will be bought at first stop at Pack'n'Save

What else?

Last edited by invisible999; 09-11-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Old 09-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #867

standard insurance for flights and travel.. sunglasses. i wouldnt bring the utensils and the french press; too lehceh haha.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #868
Master Member

One of the option was campervan when started research and decided against it for following reasons:

- you _still_ need to pay fees/permits at caravan parks to get there. It can be $20-$50 per night.
- You can't park your van at a parking lot on cities and sleep there, you have to go to a park. Or stay away from the city hoping that police won't find and fine you.
- If you want a van with shower/toilet in it, it will start min $110/day rental. So with insurance and fees you are looking at minimum $150/night expenses. One can stay at budget motels or AirBnB places for half of that price
- Third party insurance covering autos DO NOT cover campervans/trucks/pickups. At least the one with reasonable prices.
The rental for a 2pax campervan (with toilet and shower) is around 66nzd/day.
http://campervanhiresalefinder.co.nz/
If you go for campervan, you will have a fridge to store all ur food, so you dun have to worry about having to go marketing every few days.

As for campsite, there are tons of free campsite in south island. Best part of hiring a campervan is the flexibility and freedom. Imagine you have to carry your luggage to hostel/motel every night. Whereas for campervan, you can just park and spend a night anyway (legally).
silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #869

New Zealand has earthquake.

Possible to claim trVel insurance from ntuc covering agoda, car rental , flight , activities and airbnb?
sgdividends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #870

New Zealand has earthquake.

Possible to claim trVel insurance from ntuc covering agoda, car rental , flight , activities and airbnb?
You will have to check with your respective travel insurance on that. But the earthquake mainly affected Kaikoura and bits of Wellington. Anything south of Kaikoura is rather safe presently. If you land in Christchurch and travel to Queenstown, Dunedin, or the West Coast from Fox Glacier and up to Nelson you should be ok. Highway 7, which connects Greymouth on the west coast to Christchurch on the east, is open. Kaikoura, unfortunately, is cut off from the rest of the south island presently. The authorities are working on opening the inland road (which is a roundabout way) to Christchurch.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.