Back from South island New Zealand

powerxbox

Reaction score
Just compare among Maui, kea, Apollo, juicy. These few bigger brands in NZ and choose the cheapest! If you're going in summer then no choice, sure expensive.

Would highly recommend self-contained van (with toilet) there's lots of awesome freedom camping camp sites all around, you can camp overnight if you're driving a self-contained camper.

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

Last week i book a campervan for my may trip , Aquila RV - 2 Berth S/T (Star RV New Zealand) . total cost around $1800 for 12 days .

capturedmoments

Reaction score
Last week i book a campervan for my may trip , Aquila RV - 2 Berth S/T (Star RV New Zealand) . total cost around $1800 for 12 days .

wow, thanks for the info, i manage to book apollo euro tourer at 2.5k including insurance for 14 days. too bad, last min booking didn't get better price. learned a lesson. did't know camper van was selling like hotcakes

megafortress

Reaction score
less than a month to my trip to south island. can i ask if anyone here pre-booked the activities that they going to do?

we confirm going to do 3 activities - fox heli hike, sky dive in queenstown and rosco kayak in milford sound. anyone who did these activities did your booking in advance prior?

coz apparently the period we going to be there, apr/may, is lull period but we not sure if we should take the chance by going booking the activities when we are there.

appledabble

Reaction score
I pre-booked mine for those that I certainly want to do. Activities such as skydiving is weather dependent but from what I gathered, they will reschedule it if the weather doesn't permit, and if u r not able to attend the rescheduled slot, they would refund.

Read the cancellation terms of whatever u intend to pre-book.

Most direct bookings I made will provide full refund.

Website like bookme will take 10% off your refund if the operator agrees to cancel. But I still booked a few as the prices are good.

less than a month to my trip to south island. can i ask if anyone here pre-booked the activities that they going to do?

we confirm going to do 3 activities - fox heli hike, sky dive in queenstown and rosco kayak in milford sound. anyone who did these activities did your booking in advance prior?

coz apparently the period we going to be there, apr/may, is lull period but we not sure if we should take the chance by going booking the activities when we are there.

iwanttoknow

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am travelling in Aug, and I understand it's winter period during then. Is it still advisable to do campervan or should we just rent a normal car to travel around South Island of NZ? My only concern is if its too cold to sleep in a camper during that time.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am travelling in Aug, and I understand it's winter period during then. Is it still advisable to do campervan or should we just rent a normal car to travel around South Island of NZ? My only concern is if its too cold to sleep in a camper during that time.
it was a still ok for me when we slept in it during march

wear enough to slp can already...

but not advisable to drive it up/down to ski resorts unless u're exprienced... we did see campervans going down with us down from the ski resort when we travelled in july...

sellun

Reaction score

Better to prebook! You won't end up with disappointment. Rosco kayak is awesome! Great choice. Skydiving is weather dependent, do consider doing it at fox or wanaka if you are there if you can't do it in Queenstown. Everywhere is quite similar when you're in the sky.

sellun

Reaction score
Campervan comes with gas heater (at least the one i used has) it's even better than the motel we slept on our first night! You'll be toasty at night. Do get a fully self-contained camper with all these features.

megafortress

Reaction score
I pre-booked mine for those that I certainly want to do. Activities such as skydiving is weather dependent but from what I gathered, they will reschedule it if the weather doesn't permit, and if u r not able to attend the rescheduled slot, they would refund.

Read the cancellation terms of whatever u intend to pre-book.

Most direct bookings I made will provide full refund.

Website like bookme will take 10% off your refund if the operator agrees to cancel. But I still booked a few as the prices are good.

Better to prebook! You won't end up with disappointment. Rosco kayak is awesome! Great choice. Skydiving is weather dependent, do consider doing it at fox or wanaka if you are there if you can't do it in Queenstown. Everywhere is quite similar when you're in the sky.

Oh ok. Hmm. We shall make the decision closer to the date but we not very keen on paying with CC though and most if not all online bookings need to pay first.

Yea, we are really looking forward to the rosco kayaking. hoping that we will be lucky and see some wildlife, especially dolphins. haha.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Going in Aug too but intending to rent a car to drive around :)

megafortress

Reaction score

btw bro. u did the rosco kayak? which adventure did you go on do you remember? having a hard time deciding. haha.

sellun

Reaction score
btw bro. u did the rosco kayak? which adventure did you go on do you remember? having a hard time deciding. haha.
Yep i did! As i went during late May they only have sunriser.

The day safari is with transport to milford that meets the sunriser classic the cost is $179pp (transport and kayaking) if you drive yourself to milford and meet the sunriser classic the cost is $149pp

This rate was 3 years ago

sellun

Reaction score
zgjgPy4l.jpg

Kayaking is really the best way to explore Milford. You get super close to waterfall and the nature. The water there during winter is very easy to kayak.

megafortress

Reaction score
Yep i did! As i went during late May they only have sunriser.

The day safari is with transport to milford that meets the sunriser classic the cost is $179pp (transport and kayaking) if you drive yourself to milford and meet the sunriser classic the cost is $149pp

This rate was 3 years ago

ar ok. haha. i shall make my decision soon. we probably gonna take the day safari to take a rest day from driving.

heard great things and read great reviews abt rosco kayak at milford. far better way to see the place and can go close to wildlife from what i read.

sellun

Reaction score
ar ok. haha. i shall make my decision soon. we probably gonna take the day safari to take a rest day from driving.

heard great things and read great reviews abt rosco kayak at milford. far better way to see the place and can go close to wildlife from what i read.
Best way to explore Milford indeed, if you're lucky you'll even get real close to dophin. I only get to see otters swimming beside us. Best of all, i think the price is really reasonable. If you self drive to milford, do cater time to stop by at the attractions on the way. We stopped at a spring, i drank straight from the "longkang", best mineral water i ever drank in my life.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.