HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #961

Regarding mobile data. It is not cheap in NZ and I would not recommend getting Tourist SIM with 3GB of data which ripoff at $89 sticker price. Instead get Spark's SIM with 1GB of data which would cost $24. Spark is good because at most places/towns they have free wifi coverage at their phone booth which were converted to provide wifi coverage. And at most places my phone, while on roaming was picking up Spark's signal, not Vodaphone.
er, i was researching this and i saw the vodafone travel sim for 3GB data is $49? the $88 one is for 8GB? they have a 1GB for $29 as well which is the same as Spark's pricing. Unless of course their websites are not updated with the latest pricing?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #962

er, i was researching this and i saw the vodafone travel sim for 3GB data is $49? the $88 one is for 8GB? they have a 1GB for $29 as well which is the same as Spark's pricing. Unless of course their websites are not updated with the latest pricing?
I went a year ago, get the vodafone travel sim (3gb) from the airport, best decision you'll ever make. No need to worry abt wifi or whatever, the data will last you through the drive in South Island and you still can use fb/insta and surf for food recommendation.

I will never understand why people skim on data. Already paid 1k+ to fly over, whats another 50 bucks to be connected to the world lol.
veronica84 likes this.
zened88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #963

I went a year ago, get the vodafone travel sim (3gb) from the airport, best decision you'll ever make. No need to worry abt wifi or whatever, the data will last you through the drive in South Island and you still can use fb/insta and surf for food recommendation.

I will never understand why people skim on data. Already paid 1k+ to fly over, whats another 50 bucks to be connected to the world lol.
I thought you fly all the way there to get away from the world
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #964

I thought you fly all the way there to get away from the world
haha yeah i used it for maps/searching for good food.

my companions (females) used it to past instagram/facebook pics to tell everyone they were in NZ
zened88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #965

eh so is the vodafone travel sim for 3GB data is $49 the best deal for the bandwidth?
SarangChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #966

eh so is the vodafone travel sim for 3GB data is $49 the best deal for the bandwidth?
The card I used was the $49 plan from Spark which comes with 3GB, 200min free local talk time and 200 min free talk time for international calls to certain countries, including Singapore. Coverage was ok, but I'm not sure what is the percentage of coverage. I found the link with info to Spark's plan here https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile/travel-pack.html.

I believe under Vodaphone, the plan should be similar as well. You can compare the plans in Christchurch airport as they have booths there, after you clear immigrations and customs inspections.

Spark's advantage is extra wifi in certain places, but I didn't make use of it.
desboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #967

Won't go wrong with either spark or Vodafone.

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #968

Hi to those who are travelling during late apr!

For those renting car and campervan, is there a need to add on extra driver?
NoTimeToWaitAr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #969

i might be wrong, but tongariro is quite popular, and i think they allow limited number of trampers a day, so you might have to book your slots.

auckland has night markets as well. rotorua's night market might be smaller and less diverse. as for wine-tasting, you could also consider waiheke island, which is i think a 30 min ferry ride from auckland ferry terminal.

what are you planning to do for 3d2n in auckland?
i have no idea, because i will fly off from auckland airport, so i thought maybe just chillax at auckland for 2-3days before we fly off
is there anything to do?!
IGfusion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #970

intending to spend 14 days in NZ, should i visit north or south first? sometime end Apr this year...
xorionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #971

anyone rented from juicy cars at South Island? seems quite highly recommended.
sCuzzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #972
Master Member

Used Jucy 3x in the last 15 months. Twice in North Island and once in South Island for holiday. No issues. Take note they are a 2nd tier car rental company unlike Hertz or Europcar where they have counters at the airports. Car pickup and drop off are about a couple of km away from terminal for both Christchurch and Auckland.
Old 15-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #973

i have no idea, because i will fly off from auckland airport, so i thought maybe just chillax at auckland for 2-3days before we fly off
is there anything to do?!
Depends on what you are interested in lor. If you want, you can even drive all the way up north, and go to Cape reinga. Else, maybe waiheke Island? Coromandel? Waitakare? Many options.

Old 15-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #974

intending to spend 14 days in NZ, should i visit north or south first? sometime end Apr this year...
14 days in South Island sounds good. again, really depends on what you like. Wellington and rotorua has some cultural aspects, but for nature, it's the SI.

Old 15-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #975

Hi guys, we are planning to go on a road trip to New Zealand during Oct this year (4 ppl including me). Is $4k a reasonable budget to expect?

- Airfare costs around $1k, flying to Christchuch and out via Auckland and planning to get a diesel engine car if possible.
parkson is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.