HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #976

... No duration? 4k for 4 pax in total pax for 1 week should be OK. I'm not sure about this, but isn't open-jaw flights more expensive? Are you planning to take the rental car across the island? That will also incur some cost iirc. Some rental companies will also not allow you to do that.

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #977

Are you not visiting Milford Sound when at Te Anau? It's probably the highlight in that area. You can chose to stay at the lodge at Milford itself instead of Te Anau if you want to do more walks along the Milford Road.

Do go to Nuggets Point Lighthouse when staying at Kaka Point. I hear the sunset there is very nice but I only visited in the daytime which is very nice also.

For things like skydive, I suggest you check out various places that have that like Fox, Franz, Wanaka, etc. Just do the first one you come to when the weather is good. Often activities like this and glacier hike are cancelled due to weather so strike while the iron is hot.
Thanks based on feedback. I extended Te Anau to 2 days and cut the return to Christchurch to 1 day.

Day 1 - Arrive Christchurch
*Check in accommodation in Christchurch
*Do grocery shopping

Day 2 - Towards Maruia springs
*Check out 0900
*Drive towards Maruia Springs
*Check in

Day 3 - Towards Hokitika
*Check out Maruia Springs @ 1000
*Drive to Punakaiki or straight to Hokitika
*Check in Accommodation @ Hokitika
*Drive to Lake Kaniere

Day 4 - Towards Fox Glacier (Part 1)
*Check in accommodation @ Fox Glacier
Day 5 - Towards Fox Glacier (Part 2)
(Activities over 2 days)
*Sky Dive
*Visit Glacier
*Drive to Lake Matheson

Day 6 - Towards Queenstown (Part 1)
*Check out accommodation @ Fox Glacier
*Blue Pools Walk
*Wanaka Town
*Check in accommodation in Queenstown (Fernhill)

Day 7 - Towards Queenstown (Part 2)
*Arrow Town
*Skyline Gondola or Hike
*Luge Ride

Day 8 - Towards Te Anau (1)
*Glenorchy - Lake front (Kill off if too rush)
*Devil's Staircase - Kingston - Te Anau
*Check in accommodation at Te Anau
*Drive to Mirror Lakes and Knob Flat

Day 9 - Towards Te Anau (2)
*Milford Sound journey

Day 10- Towards The Catlins
*Check out accommodation at Te Anau @ 0900
* Towards the Catlins - Bluff, Stirling Point
*Check in accommodation @ the Catlins

Day 111 - Towards The Kaka Point
* Check out accommodation @ The Catilins @ 0900
* Visit Mclean Falls
* Check in accommodation at Kaka Point

Day 12 - Towards Dunedin
*Check out accommodation @ Kaka Point @ 0900
*Check in accommodation at Dunedin
* Visit Larnach Castle
* Taiaroa Head, Otago Peninsula, Dunedin ( 8-wheel Argos tour)
* Baldwin Street

Day 13 - Towards Mt Cook
*Check out accommodation at Dunedin 0900
*Drive to Moeraki Boulders
*Drive to High Country Salmon Farm
*Drive to Twizel Town (Stock up on Groceries)
*Check in at Mt Cook Village Accommodation

Day 14 - Towards Christchurch (Part 1)

Check out from Mt Cook Village Accommodation
*Towards Lake Tekapo - Turn off to Godley Peaks Road towards Mount John Observatory (5 fee per car)
*Lake Tekapo
*Pleasant Point (Denheath Custard Squares - Legends Cafe)
*Check in Accommodation at Christchurch

Day 15 - Towards Singapore
Check out accommodation @ 0200
Check in Airport @ 0400
Leave NZ @ 0600
MissyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #978
Master Member

Hi guys, we are planning to go on a road trip to New Zealand during Oct this year (4 ppl including me). Is $4k a reasonable budget to expect?

- Airfare costs around $1k
Per person $4k? Yes, you will be fine. Otherwise, if you are thinking $4k total, while $1kpp is airfare cost - what are you going to do, sleep on grass, while walking and eating air?
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #979

Hi guys, we are planning to go on a road trip to New Zealand during Oct this year (4 ppl including me). Is $4k a reasonable budget to expect?

- Airfare costs around $1k, flying to Christchuch and out via Auckland and planning to get a diesel engine car if possible.
I guess it all depends on what type of lodging and food you want. Also many people go to NZ for activities like paragliding, bungee jumping, heli-hike or skydiving, which can cost a lot. A skydive can cost from $350 so best you do some research on the web to get your budget.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #980

Hi... Planning to go with my friends to new zealand during june / july period this year. Thinking of caravan for about 6 guys. Search the net and it shows that it's winter period. Just wondering if anybody went there during winter period? And also will it be hard to do skydiving and bungee jumping during winter period?
Old 18-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #981

Hi, is it possible to tour South Island without self drive? I do not drive and my husband is not a seasoned driver and does not feel comfortable driving.

I intend to fly to Christchurch and do the following places:
wanaka, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook.

I haven't figure out the route because i have no idea how to travel in between these places.

Any one has a suggested route and the transport that I can take?
Thanks very much in advance!

oh by the way, i am planning to go in March 6, so seriously need to finalise the plan before i start to book the air tickets and accomodation.

Last edited by peachberi; 18-01-2017 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: To add on
peachberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #982

Hi... Planning to go with my friends to new zealand during june / july period this year. Thinking of caravan for about 6 guys. Search the net and it shows that it's winter period. Just wondering if anybody went there during winter period? And also will it be hard to do skydiving and bungee jumping during winter period?
I don't think it'll be hard to do the activities you've listed. At most wear 1 more layer lor. And, you could even do snow sports if you're so inclined.

Old 19-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #983

Hi, is it possible to tour South Island without self drive? I do not drive and my husband is not a seasoned driver and does not feel comfortable driving.

I haven't figure out the route because i have no idea how to travel in between these places.

oh by the way, i am planning to go in March 6, so seriously need to finalise the plan before i start to book the air tickets and accomodation.
Check out mana bus, naked bus, intercity bus. Or, go on couch surfing or backpacker forums or Facebook pages to see if anyone is willing to dompang you around. Or, pray and hope that you can hitchhike around. For this to work, you'll definitely need to pack light.

Old 19-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #984
Master Member

Do you know what temperatures are in NZ's South Island during winter period? If not, why don't you start doing a little bit more research.
Old 19-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #985
Master Member

It all depends how much are you willing to pay and how much you are willing to skip seeing because you can't get there.

If you are going to NZ with suitcases then you are confined to places where buses go and taxies are willing to take you. Just as a note - it will take at least twice as much time to go from A to Z and it will cost you twice as much comparing to your own car.
Old 20-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #986

It may be cheaper and better to take a package tour if you don't intend to drive. Chances are that you will most likely be taking local tours anyway.

Last edited by desboo; 20-01-2017 at 10:04 AM..
desboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #987

Used Jucy 3x in the last 15 months. Twice in North Island and once in South Island for holiday. No issues. Take note they are a 2nd tier car rental company unlike Hertz or Europcar where they have counters at the airports. Car pickup and drop off are about a couple of km away from terminal for both Christchurch and Auckland.
thank you for that.

any ideas if it's expensive to take a taxi after midnight in CHC? problem being the flight back is 6in the morning so I reckon drop-off has to be probably 3 in the morning. or thereabouts.
sCuzzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #988

thank you for that.

any ideas if it's expensive to take a taxi after midnight in CHC? problem being the flight back is 6in the morning so I reckon drop-off has to be probably 3 in the morning. or thereabouts.
i dont think there are midnight charges per se. the meter jumps are high enough as it is. u can also use uber to estimate your fare.
Old 20-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #989
Master Member

Me loR~ I went during mid June! Skydive no problem! Winter does not necessarily mean snowing/ Blizzard ma... The only thing that hinders Skydiving is bad weather #RainSucks .....

You will be wearing your own winter jacket + their skydiving suit + gloves + helmet. It's freaking cold but definitely worth the $500 (Inclusive of video and stuff) #YOLO
Old 20-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #990
Master Member

HOW CAN DRIVING IN NZ not be comfortable? Not mocking him but really..... get him to pluck his courage and drive in NZ! Maybe you guys can take a day tour to Milford Sound but the rest is really idiot proof and easy peasy driving! No MRT/Train one...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.