HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #1036
Arch-Supremacy Member

i've only done the 1st portion before... from anchorage bay to marahau...

iirc we took the boat to anchorage bay then walk backed to marahau...

there's a few points along the way u can see the coast... the waters/islands... but half or more than half the time is walking through bushes/trees... not much to see...

i cant say for the subsequent portions of abel tasman since i havent been there so it may be better?

Thanks for the photos. I'm planning to the the full track. When did you go and how was the weather like?
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #1037
Greater Supremacy Member

Thanks for the photos. I'm planning to the the full track. When did you go and how was the weather like?
we did south island in july... cold... even at abel tasman we had to wear proper jackets...

how much time do u have for ur whole trip? whole track can take a few days u know right?
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #1038
Arch-Supremacy Member

we did south island in july... cold... even at abel tasman we had to wear proper jackets...

how much time do u have for ur whole trip? whole track can take a few days u know right?
My entire trip is 3 weeks, will be going end feb, autumn just starting so should still be warm I hope.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #1039

My entire trip is 3 weeks, will be going end feb, autumn just starting so should still be warm I hope.
that is a wrong assumption, you will get a shock thinking that.

The wind is the one that make you cold even the temp is 27~28. By night it will drop to 16~18 degree.

You don't need to bring long john for summer but at least a wind and rain resistant jacket is needed for the whole year of NZ.

There will always have a chance of Snow even during summer at South Island due to southerlies.

Lastly Feb is not a right season to see the best of NZ. Most of the lupin should have die off. Feb will be either sunny or rainny. Well up to individual.

Last edited by keigo22; 03-02-2017 at 10:46 AM..
keigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #1040
Arch-Supremacy Member

that is a wrong assumption, you will get a shock thinking that.

The wind is the one that make you cold even the temp is 27~28. By night it will drop to 16~18 degree.

You don't need to bring long john for summer but at least a wind and rain resistant jacket is needed for the whole year of NZ.

There will always have a chance of Snow even during summer at South Island due to southerlies.

Lastly Feb is not a right season to see the best of NZ. Most of the lupin should have die off. Feb will be either sunny or rainny. Well up to individual.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be packing layers. Reason why I picked end feb is that I figured it will be the time less people are visiting and the weather will still be good. I'll definitely expect rain, but that's just part of the fun anyway.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #1041

Well, you have to decide on what is a good deal for you. We drive normal sedan, book 15 days with GPS and full insurace cost the same as you book Merc for 10 days. But do factor in fuel which is expensive and for Merc I believe should be more thirsty than your typical Japanese car.
Many thanks for your input.
i have go ahead with the merc, and its a disel car. Finger crossed.

Anyway is ibis hotel the nearest and cheapest hotel to airport auckland/
because i will touch down in auckland at 11.30pm. so i need a nearby hotel.
any recommendation?
IGfusion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #1042

You touch down at 1130pm, you also can't pick up your car right?

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #1043
Greater Supremacy Member

is it a must to do abel tasman?

i think most time shld be spent in south island from the st arnaud area down to milford sound, especially if u r a scenery person and wans to hike or do many trails here n there... if u were to split the south island into 4 quarters... i would prioritise the middle 2 quarters...

otherwise i suggest dun do the whole abel tasman, pick part(s) of it... u can take the water taxi (boat) to various bays along the trail and start from there...

Last edited by mata_hippo; 04-02-2017 at 10:27 PM..
Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #1044
Greater Supremacy Member

for those who have been to mt cook and glenorchy in the south... how is my schedule like?

i've been to all areas about 5 years back for except mt cook and the Glenorchy area of queenstown...

up for advice/comments around mt cook n glenorchy...
Old 05-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #1045
Arch-Supremacy Member

is it a must to do abel tasman?

i think most time shld be spent in south island from the st arnaud area down to milford sound, especially if u r a scenery person and wans to hike or do many trails here n there... if u were to split the south island into 4 quarters... i would prioritise the middle 2 quarters...

otherwise i suggest dun do the whole abel tasman, pick part(s) of it... u can take the water taxi (boat) to various bays along the trail and start from there...
Its actually my first time doing a multi-day trek(if don't consider outfield trainings) and I'm doing it for a very personal reason. It was between Abel Tasman and Milford Track and I decided to go with Abel Tasman.

I still have two weeks to visit the rest of the island so I'm not too worried
Old 05-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #1046
Arch-Supremacy Member

up for advice/comments around mt cook n glenorchy...
That's a very long drive from TA to MC. I realise you put 4 days for wanaka(albeit 2 is with queenstown), mind sharing what you'll be doing there?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #1047
Greater Supremacy Member

That's a very long drive from TA to MC. I realise you put 4 days for wanaka(albeit 2 is with queenstown), mind sharing what you'll be doing there?
yea after TA it's always a long drive...

wanaka and queenstown would be a bunch of tracks.... mt roy, rob roy, isthmus peak and ben lomond, mt alfred...
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #1048
Arch-Supremacy Member

yea after TA it's always a long drive...

wanaka and queenstown would be a bunch of tracks.... mt roy, rob roy, isthmus peak and ben lomond, mt alfred...
Hmm, your itinerary looks OK, though if you wanna spend more time at MT cook/Glenorchy then I would suggest not going fox glacier, then don't need to loop back to CHCH. Can just end at qtn, fly domestic to chch
Old 06-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #1049
Greater Supremacy Member

Hmm, your itinerary looks OK, though if you wanna spend more time at MT cook/Glenorchy then I would suggest not going fox glacier, then don't need to loop back to CHCH. Can just end at qtn, fly domestic to chch
I plan to do a loop... Cc to Arthur's pass then west coast then wanaka and so on... Arthur's pass has some nice tracks too...

Old 06-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #1050

What is the price range for beer and wines in NZ at the supermarket and restaurants?

For duty free alcohol, Is it cheaper to buy at changi to bring onto the plane, or buy at duty free upon arrival?
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.