HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #1051
Master Member

What is the price range for beer and wines in NZ at the supermarket and restaurants?
Take a look
https://shop.newworld.co.nz/store/72.../search/Wine/1

At restaurants - slightly cheaper than in Singapore. Glass - $8.
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #1052
Arch-Supremacy Member

What is the price range for beer and wines in NZ at the supermarket and restaurants?

For duty free alcohol, Is it cheaper to buy at changi to bring onto the plane, or buy at duty free upon arrival?
https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner...uor-beer-cider
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #1053

Thanks bluekillerex and invisible999

For data sim, is the spark wifi hotspot (phone booths?) that useful ? Trying to gauge if paying Singtel Readyroam @ $20 for 1GB for 30 days is a viable option. Because spark add-on of 1GB cost $20 and 3GB will cost $50. Seems comparable to Singtel readyroam if spark wifi hotspot is not that useful. Thanks !
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #1054
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks bluekillerex and invisible999

For data sim, is the spark wifi hotspot (phone booths?) that useful ? Trying to gauge if paying Singtel Readyroam @ $20 for 1GB for 30 days is a viable option. Because spark add-on of 1GB cost $20 and 3GB will cost $50. Seems comparable to Singtel readyroam if spark wifi hotspot is not that useful. Thanks !
Hmm, depends bah. Like for me, I will need a NZ number when I'm there as I have booked several activities and would be better if I have a local number the operators could contact. If you are just sight seeing etc, don't like the hassle of carrying 2 sim card then can probably go for the roaming.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #1055

For duty free alcohol, Is it cheaper to buy at changi to bring onto the plane, or buy at duty free upon arrival?
For restaurants, go to zomato.com and get a list of restaurants and their menus. Most of them should include the price of beers and wines.

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #1056
Arch-Supremacy Member

Finally finalized my itinerary.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #1057

Thinking of tranzalpine soon?
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11796224

Old 07-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #1058
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thinking of tranzalpine soon?
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11796224
Another indication to self drive
Old 07-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #1059
Greater Supremacy Member

Finally finalized my itinerary.

u flying to wellington and fly out from queenstown? wad airlines?

i stayed at wanaka bakpaka the last time i was there... we checked out the YHA but i forgot now why we chose wanaka bakpaka in the end duno if it was full or was it about the location...

consider rocky mountain instead of mt iron for wanaka... i'm sure the view will be better... unfortunately when i was there, it was all mist/clouds everywhere so can't see sh1t or try isthmus?

stayed at te anau lakefront backpackers too, no complains...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #1060

from Te Anau to Milford Sound do you intend to drive ah? I read Trip advisor some say better to go with tour some say the drive is not so bad
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #1061
Arch-Supremacy Member

u flying to wellington and fly out from queenstown? wad airlines?

i stayed at wanaka bakpaka the last time i was there... we checked out the YHA but i forgot now why we chose wanaka bakpaka in the end duno if it was full or was it about the location...

consider rocky mountain instead of mt iron for wanaka... i'm sure the view will be better... unfortunately when i was there, it was all mist/clouds everywhere so can't see sh1t or try isthmus?

stayed at te anau lakefront backpackers too, no complains...
Oops, forgot to include that I'll be doing Rob Roy on the same day that's why I picked Mt Iron as it is an easy walk. Plus it gives a great vantage view of Wanaka. I flying from queenstown to auckland, then flying out via AirAsia, I'm cheap.

from Te Anau to Milford Sound do you intend to drive ah? I read Trip advisor some say better to go with tour some say the drive is not so bad
As long as its not winter period and no ice/snow, the drive will be good. I'm going in a couple of weeks, end of summer/beginning of autumn.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #1062
Greater Supremacy Member

the drive is definitely not bad... views along the way r great... can stop at various spots along the way to take pics and do some short trails/walks etc.

after the tunnel, the roads may be abit wetter but just drive slower...

i did it before in july few years back
Old 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #1063
Greater Supremacy Member

Oops, forgot to include that I'll be doing Rob Roy on the same day that's why I picked Mt Iron as it is an easy walk. Plus it gives a great vantage view of Wanaka. I flying from queenstown to auckland, then flying out via AirAsia, I'm cheap.

As long as its not winter period and no ice/snow, the drive will be good. I'm going in a couple of weeks, end of summer/beginning of autumn.
oh if doing rob roy too then ok, rocky will be more intensive than iron...
Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #1064
Arch-Supremacy Member

oh if doing rob roy too then ok, rocky will be more intensive than iron...
Btw is wanaka bakpaka good? I'm considering it since I have not made a booking. Its $6/night cheaper than YHA.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #1065

i took the tour bus from queenstown to milford sound via te anau. the bus will also stop here and there for you to take pictures, especially before the tunnel for me, i'm glad i took the bus as i totally KO-ed after the whole milford sound tour was over; couldn't drive even if i wanted to.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.