HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #1066

Thanks bluekillerex and invisible999

For data sim, is the spark wifi hotspot (phone booths?) that useful ? Trying to gauge if paying Singtel Readyroam @ $20 for 1GB for 30 days is a viable option. Because spark add-on of 1GB cost $20 and 3GB will cost $50. Seems comparable to Singtel readyroam if spark wifi hotspot is not that useful. Thanks !
I bought a Vodafone 3GB data pack which also comes with free calls to many countries including Singapore and local calls as well. That is something I don't believe the Singtel package includes?
hawkwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #1067

from Te Anau to Milford Sound do you intend to drive ah? I read Trip advisor some say better to go with tour some say the drive is not so bad
If you are not going during the snow or avalanche season, it's worthwhile to drive. Can stop for various short or longer walks and for those keen on photography, can take more time to take pics.
hawkwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #1068

Yeah. Singtel readyroam is purely data. Will probably subscribe for 1GB and get another SIM card thereafter

I bought a Vodafone 3GB data pack which also comes with free calls to many countries including Singapore and local calls as well. That is something I don't believe the Singtel package includes?
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #1069

Air NZ or jetstar? I bought Air NZ round trip AKL - ZQN.

One tip on buying Air NZ ticket. Buy the Flexitime fare that is cheapest for the day u fly, which could be cheaper than the actual timing u want. U can then change the flight time at 12.01am on the day itself for an earlier or later flight without additional cost. I managed to save NZ$40 per ticket doing this way

Oops, forgot to include that I'll be doing Rob Roy on the same day that's why I picked Mt Iron as it is an easy walk. Plus it gives a great vantage view of Wanaka. I flying from queenstown to auckland, then flying out via AirAsia, I'm cheap.

As long as its not winter period and no ice/snow, the drive will be good. I'm going in a couple of weeks, end of summer/beginning of autumn.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #1070
Arch-Supremacy Member

Air NZ or jetstar? I bought Air NZ round trip AKL - ZQN.

One tip on buying Air NZ ticket. Buy the Flexitime fare that is cheapest for the day u fly, which could be cheaper than the actual timing u want. U can then change the flight time at 12.01am on the day itself for an earlier or later flight without additional cost. I managed to save NZ$40 per ticket doing this way
Oh ****, bummer. Didn't know about this, already bought the tickets!

I actually thought about this when making the booking, but then I convinced myself that wouldn't work, they can't possible not know about this loophole... Then I just went ahead and bought the normal tickets.

Last edited by BlurKillerEX; 07-02-2017 at 09:26 PM..
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #1071
Arch-Supremacy Member

Btw guys, I need recommendation for quick drying socks. Anybody know any that can dry overnight when hand wash and wrung dry.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #1072
Master Member

Btw guys, I need recommendation for quick drying socks. Anybody know any that can dry overnight when hand wash and wrung dry.
Just take those which are 100% nylon. But prepare that anything which is 'quick dry' is not going to keep you warm.
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #1073

What car rental did u book?

Finally finalized my itinerary.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #1074
Greater Supremacy Member

Btw is wanaka bakpaka good? I'm considering it since I have not made a booking. Its $6/night cheaper than YHA.
ya not bad, quite a modern hostel... got nice lounge area to chill... outdoor area to chill... beside the lake only... kitchen also decent...
mata_hippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #1075
Arch-Supremacy Member

What car rental did u book?
I booked with Omega which was cheaper. 12 days for 630. Not many company offers services at Nelson.

ya not bad, quite a modern hostel... got nice lounge area to chill... outdoor area to chill... beside the lake only... kitchen also decent...
Great, I'll go with that then.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 AM   #1076

I booked with Omega which was cheaper. 12 days for 630. Not many company offers services at Nelson.

Great, I'll go with that then.
I do have a question, though you may have answered this before - why pick up car from Nelson instead of Wellington?

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #1077
Arch-Supremacy Member

I do have a question, though you may have answered this before - why pick up car from Nelson instead of Wellington?
I'm doing Abel Tasman walk, will be a waste if I park the car there for 4 days while hiking. Closest town is Nelson which is where I'll be after completing Abel Tasman
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #1078

Ah. Good point. I missed that out.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #1079
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ah. Good point. I missed that out.
Plus if you rented from wellington you would need to pay 200+ for ferry crossing with car
Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #1080

I've been watching the documentary "Wild New Zealand". somewhat recent, and the show mentions the place names; you can plan a trip to certain places if you're interested
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.