HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #1096

Mine was 10 days too and initially to land and fly off from CC. However 10 days was too short to do the recommended anti-clockwise route so we ended up paying a little more to fly off from Queenstown >> Auckland >> SG which was actually a good choice I feel.

If I had a choice to go there again, I will plan 2 weeks to do the recommended anti-clockwise route then can get to experience the FJ Glaciers.

The problem was the rented car because if you rented the car from CC and drove to Arthur's Pass>>Greymouth>> FJ Glaciers, there is actually an option to take an expensive heli ride to cut across to Mount Cook. Lol...... but I wasn't sure if I could just leave the rented car at FJ Glaciers. (Maybe some expert traveler can comment)

Anyways I went,

CC >>Akaroa >> Lake Tepako>> Mt Cook >> Twizel >> Wanaka >> Queesntown >> Milford Sound >> Queenstown

For 10 days trip, if wanna chiong, you might need to forgo Milford sound I think...

whao, thanks for advice here!
anyway can i do it like this?
CC >> Lake Tepako>> Mt Cook >> Wanaka >> Queesntown >> Milford Sound >> CC ?
bleach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #1097

I think might be a little too rush if you want to complete the loop (unless you are ok to fly out from queenstown), winter condition some more
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #1098

hi guys. does new zealand require a international driving permit or just our license will do?
Old 13-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #1099
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi guys. does new zealand require a international driving permit or just our license will do?
Dont have to get IDP, for NZ any english license will suffice.
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #1100

My upcoming one is like this

Queenstown >> Twizel >> Mt Cook >> Lake Tekapo Wanaka >> Queenstown >> Te Anau >> Milford Sound >> Queenstown

Every town comes with night stay except Lake Tekapo, which will be a detour down from Mt Cook before driving to Wanaka for 2-night stay; and day trip to Milford with Te Anau as the base.

Last edited by appledabble; 13-02-2017 at 07:47 PM..
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #1101
Master Member

They did anti-clock in 7days, although seriously not recommended cos it's just touch and go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimx8EoQaEs&t=269s

Your MS to CC will take you 2 days straight without resting.

Have you bought your tix yet? If not, perhaps you may want to depart from QTN instead.

Otherwise, depending on your flight timing:
CC > Hokitika > FJG > Wanaka > Te Anau (MS) > QTN > Mt Cook > Tekapo > CC.
silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #1102

What clothings do you all recommend for March / April's weather ? Day and Nighy temperature can differ significantly , right ?
Old 13-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #1103

Is your light down jacket from uniqlo as well? I bought one but the fur/feather keeps piercing through the jacket. I can always see the fur flying in the air or sticking onto my shirts after wearing it. Is mine defective or is this the quality in general ?

Thick winter jacket is old school style... Nowadays play heat tech from uniqlo + light down jacket +windproof pants can liaoz

4 places is too little.. depends on where you land and fly off from...
Old 13-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #1104
Arch-Supremacy Member

What clothings do you all recommend for March / April's weather ? Day and Nighy temperature can differ significantly , right ?
Autumn period, can get chilly. Best to bring a innerwear(i recommend uniqlo heat tech), a fleece jacket/wind breaker and a rain jacket for the increased rainfall.
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #1105
Master Member

Surely can but do note that the drive from Queesntown >> Milford Sound is damn long and tiring so I actually wasted the rental car that day and signed up a day tour with "Jucy" a local agency there. The Bus uncle chionged from Queenstown 6am.... Stopped by a mirror-lake, a few LOTR-like scenary like area and reach there about 1pm. The ferry trip lasted about 1 hr.... basically blow cold wind, see majestic cliffs and mini waterfalls + the main waterfall (Nothing spectacular IMHO) then chiong back to Queenstown by 8-9pm.. (Slept through most of the bus journey)...
Old 14-02-2017, 12:45 AM   #1106
Master Member

Is your light down jacket from uniqlo as well? I bought one but the fur/feather keeps piercing through the jacket. I can always see the fur flying in the air or sticking onto my shirts after wearing it. Is mine defective or is this the quality in general ?
I actually researched a little on down jackets haha... They have this number written on the sleeves of the down jacket. Different brands have different ratings.

I was contemplating between Columbia, North Face and Mountain hardwear's ghost whisperer.

Impt things to note are:

1) ALWAYS GET A HOODED down jacket! When the cold wind blows, the hood is so useful! lolx... No need beanie or scared wear scarf drop or fly away. Just zip up!

2) Get a down jacket with at least rating 750. (I think 50 goes to the hood)

The goose feather does come out once in awhile.. Bo Pian one. It really depends on the individual's tolerance for cold. I generally like to keep my body and hands warm so what I do before I leave the room each time is to warm up my clothes/socks/gloves/jacket a little by toasting them near the heater for a couple of minutes before gearing up and stepping out into the cold.

The one from uniqlo felt like a 400-500 rating to me lolx...

The Mountain hardwear's ghost whisperer was very compact/light/warm but very fragile and expensive so I opt for the Northface one during the sale and got it for $200+.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-J.../Buying-Advice

If lazy to read, just read this portion -->

Down quality is rated by a system that measures its fill power, which is the number of cubic inches displaced by an ounce of down. It is usually expressed with the word "fill" preceded by a number ranging from 300 to 900, increasing in increments of 50.
Old 14-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #1107

Surely can but do note that the drive from Queesntown >> Milford Sound is damn long and tiring so I actually wasted the rental car that day and signed up a day tour with "Jucy" a local agency there. The Bus uncle chionged from Queenstown 6am.... Stopped by a mirror-lake, a few LOTR-like scenary like area and reach there about 1pm. The ferry trip lasted about 1 hr.... basically blow cold wind, see majestic cliffs and mini waterfalls + the main waterfall (Nothing spectacular IMHO) then chiong back to Queenstown by 8-9pm.. (Slept through most of the bus journey)...
That's what I was saying days earlier. Sure you can drive, but by the end of the day you'll be so tired, then you need more than your 8 hours of sleep, and you put yourself in danger if you ngeh ngeh drive.. Might as well pay for an experienced, well-rated guide to bring you around.

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #1108

Dont have to get IDP, for NZ any english license will suffice.
ok got it. thanks!
Old 14-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #1109

NZ in Jun

Ok, my initial planning is more or less done:

as such:
day 1: touch down christchurch, drive to hokitika and spend the night there
day 2: drive from hokitika to FJG and spend the night there
day 3: drive to queenstown and spend the night there
day 4: take coach from queenstown to MS (day trip)
day 5: spend the day in queenstown (skydive)
day 6: spend the day in queenstown
day 7: queenstown to mount cook and spend the night there
day 8: mount cook to Lake Tekapo and spend the night there (star gaze)
day 9: Lake Takepo to Christchurch and spend the night there
day 10: christchurch to Spore home sweet home

hopefully this is not too ambitious
bleach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #1110

Cool , thanks for the details !

I just went to north face to take a look. There is a sales now with most prices between $200 to $300 after discount. May I know which model you bought and the rating ?

I actually researched a little on down jackets haha... They have this number written on the sleeves of the down jacket. Different brands have different ratings.

I was contemplating between Columbia, North Face and Mountain hardwear's ghost whisperer.

Impt things to note are:

1) ALWAYS GET A HOODED down jacket! When the cold wind blows, the hood is so useful! lolx... No need beanie or scared wear scarf drop or fly away. Just zip up!

2) Get a down jacket with at least rating 750. (I think 50 goes to the hood)

The goose feather does come out once in awhile.. Bo Pian one. It really depends on the individual's tolerance for cold. I generally like to keep my body and hands warm so what I do before I leave the room each time is to warm up my clothes/socks/gloves/jacket a little by toasting them near the heater for a couple of minutes before gearing up and stepping out into the cold.

The one from uniqlo felt like a 400-500 rating to me lolx...

The Mountain hardwear's ghost whisperer was very compact/light/warm but very fragile and expensive so I opt for the Northface one during the sale and got it for $200+.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-J.../Buying-Advice

If lazy to read, just read this portion -->

Down quality is rated by a system that measures its fill power, which is the number of cubic inches displaced by an ounce of down. It is usually expressed with the word "fill" preceded by a number ranging from 300 to 900, increasing in increments of 50.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.