HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #1186

Don't know, its autumn now.

Just did isthmus peak, super tiring since I pretty much ran up and down. Started quite late at 2.45pm and I wanted to get down before it gets dark. Reached the summit at 5.20pm, lepak there till 6 then ran back down. Reached carpark 8.05pm and made it back to town while there's still daylight
i was just checking out the timings of sunrise and sunset for the period im there in apr - may. 6pm already sunset liao. lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #1187
Master Member

Yup nowadays it gets fully dark at around 9
Saw any animals hopping on the roads during your night drive?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #1188
Arch-Supremacy Member

Saw any animals hopping on the roads during your night drive?
No leh, see lots of rabbit corpses on the road though. I've accidentally killed a weka
lookers likes this.
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #1189

So jialat. I haven't killed any animal on the road (at least I hope)

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #1190
Arch-Supremacy Member

From far away I saw it liao, trying to cross the road with its partner. So I slowed down to let them pass. The first one crossed, then the second one stop at the middle white line. Thought it was gonna let me pass so I just drove on but right when I reach them, it suddenly darted out in front of my car..

The aftermath was so sad, the partner was trying to pull it off the road, so I did what I could and placed the body by the side so it don't get run over by more cars...
Old 09-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #1191
Greater Supremacy Member

I thought Oct also got more daylight?
october shld be similar to now or abit less daylight...
mata_hippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #1192
Arch-Supremacy Member

So hard to find parking in Queenstown. For the first time since I arrived in NZ I have to pay for parking.
lookers likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #1193

Queenstown is too crowded. And is a tourist place. So yeah.

_Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #1194

How much does it cost ? Tear coupon ?

So hard to find parking in Queenstown. For the first time since I arrived in NZ I have to pay for parking.
appledabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #1195

have you booked your air ticket yet?? if not yet, I would recommend you several other places first. The air ticket to nz will quite expensive and definitely not worth going for so little days. Unless cost is not your concern then probably you can go ahead with nz
Hi Sellun,

Saw your posts at new zealand and campervan thread. I'm interested to know which company u rented it from. Is it Maui? I went to quote the rate. It super expensive. Average price is 340nzd per day. Is it the market rate? How do u get the 40% discount?

Thank you in advance
capturedmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #1196

Hi everyone, I read this thread, 40 over pages. Gonna puke soon. Only saw maui, and jucy for campervan. Anyone can share their experiences and which campervan company I can rent?
Maui is a bit too expensive for me. Probably I don't have the discount code. But it's more than twice the amount of jucy. I wonder why the huge difference.
capturedmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #1197
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi everyone, I read this thread, 40 over pages. Gonna puke soon. Only saw maui, and jucy for campervan. Anyone can share their experiences and which campervan company I can rent?
Maui is a bit too expensive for me. Probably I don't have the discount code. But it's more than twice the amount of jucy. I wonder why the huge difference.
If you don't need a self contained campervan, can try spaceship. Saw quite a lot while I was camping at various campsites.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #1198

How many pax are you going with? I rented from KEA in 2014.. I went in late May which is their pre winter season (lull season) and booked early thus the 40%. If you're going in year end near summer, you'll never get good price.

If I can remember correctly we paid around SGD 180/night for a new 6berth auto self-contained van. Totally worth it when share among 6pax.

sellun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #1199

Is there only two providers for the heli hike at Franz Josef?

I was hoping to start bright and early so we could pop by lake Matheson otw to Wanaka but the earliest time is 10am?
sCuzzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #1200
Greater Supremacy Member

Is there only two providers for the heli hike at Franz Josef?

I was hoping to start bright and early so we could pop by lake Matheson otw to Wanaka but the earliest time is 10am?
if the area is foggy/misty, can skip lake Matheson... u can get similar views at places around wanaka, queenstown, milford sound and on the way to milford sound...
mata_hippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.