A Guide to Batam

S090994

Reaction score
Any place to recommend for good food?

Always wondered why no one mentioned Rezeki seafood. It's settled by the beach on the way to Nongsa. I guess it'd be inconvenient for those who don't drive, but if you have a driver it's worth a shot! I have always been bringing friends there for seafood.

And yes, Harbour bay mall is dead. Unless you're looking for a "almost on par with singapore, but not yet there" club which has local SG DJ's playing every now and then on weekends.

geran87

Reaction score
Give it a try

Paragon@nagoya Hotel, address: Komplek Nagoya Business Center Blok 4 No 10-13, Nagoya, Batam Island, Indonesia, 29444. price=From SGD 30.00. Rooms in this New 2018 hotel are spacious, clean, equipped with air conditioning, cable TV and safe. Simple Buffet style breakfast is included. Massage center is in the premise with rate just $13/90 minutes. Standing in city center, it is only 5 minutes walk to NagoyaCity Walk, and 8 minutes walk to Nagoya Hill mall. BCS mall and DC mall is just 5 minutes taxi ride. Book through Agoda.com or Booking.com

Now go batam is cheap, just buy open ticket from carousell for $40 two way.
The hotel like above which is new, clean and at city only for $35.

Massage for only $13.... where to find such a good deal nearby Singapore...
Less than $200 for 2 person... u get a super get away deal.
Can't even eat 2 nice crab in Singapore.

cyberian

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Paragon@nagoya Hotel, address: Komplek Nagoya Business Center Blok 4 No 10-13, Nagoya, Batam Island, Indonesia, 29444. price=From SGD 30.00. Rooms in this New 2018 hotel are spacious, clean, equipped with air conditioning, cable TV and safe. Simple Buffet style breakfast is included. Massage center is in the premise with rate just $13/90 minutes. Standing in city center, it is only 5 minutes walk to NagoyaCity Walk, and 8 minutes walk to Nagoya Hill mall. BCS mall and DC mall is just 5 minutes taxi ride. Book through Agoda.com or Booking.com

antiliar

Reaction score
why

why you keep doing advertising for this hotel?
asiaone.com/travel/6-reasons-go-cheap-holiday-batam

artistic2die

Reaction score
Batam Harbour Bay Ferry Terminal?

Hi,

am planning a trip to Batam, was thinking of going via Horizon Fast Ferry to Harbour Bay Terminal. Read there is many hotels, seafood restaurants and malls around the area from their web site, and is very close to Nagoya City.

Custom clearance is a breeze too.

Anyone had any experience going there?

Thanks

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Ferry operators include Batamfast, Majestic Ferry and Sindo Ferry.

Which ferry operator would you all recommend?

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, does anybody if it is possible to get to Golden City Go Kart from Allium Batam Hotel?

phoensu

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time researching for what to do in Batam for a short 2D1N trip. I thought it'd be a waste not to put it up. Here are some tips on getting around, where to go etc.

Deals aren't as cheap as they seem. For most, you have to add $27 ferry terminal fees to the listed price, so you don't exactly save on them. Moreover, you have to stick to their itinerary and tip their drivers. They take you to the Polo Outlet shop, the Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya Temple, Batam Chocolate House etc but honestly, I wasn't interested in any of those. I wanted to go where the locals go and do some sightseeing.

I booked a deluxe room for $60/night at GGi Hotel. Then 2 return ferry tickets for $94. That makes $154 for a 2D1N trip for 2, $77/person.

Nothing to see in Batam? You'll be mistaken. A series of 6 bridges connect several islands near Batam to each other, and the view is fantastic. I only went to 2/6 bridges because I set out late. Go there for the sunset! The drive there is about 40mins. A vendor in Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall Food Street introduced me to Ab. He drove me to Barelang Bridge and back for only 200.000IDR ($25). A nice man, quiet but very helpful. I was so happy with his service I gave him 50.000IDR more. You can contact him at 0812-8670-529.Other drivers offer at least $60, min 1 day.

I did dinner at Harbour Bay Walk, Wey Wey Seafood Restaurant. It's not as fancy as the famed Harbour Bay Seafood Restuarant, but I prefer it as it is more laid-back and less lit; great for stargazing. The band is great. 4 charming young men, talented and not too loud. They set the perfect mood for a seaside restaurant. The food was cooked well but not fresh! How come?! It's a pity because you can tell the chef is skilled. I rejected one of the crabs because it smelled like ammonia. Thankfully, the lady serving us totally made up for it. She bravely went through other parts of the crab and was not afraid to try for herself. After agreeing that the dish was not up to par, she offered to replace it. My dinner mood was dampened but not destroyed. While the restaurant should definitely step up on their livestock (some fish in the tanks looked almost dead) they did the rest well. We ordered prawn, mee goreng, vegetables and crab and our bill was only 216.000IDR.

For after-dinner drinks, I hopped around the hotels and bars. In Planet Holiday's The Summit, the band was performing for tables, chairs and waiters. Other places were more dead than the fish in Wey Wey Seafood Restaurant. We found ourselves in Harmoni's NoName Bar where there was a good crowd, 50.000IDR drinks and a talented band that did covers of Katy Perry and One Direction, then moved on to sappy ballads. We were desperate to find a rock bar and trotted down a lane of raunchy bars to find one, but failed. Should have just stayed at NoName.

The next day started with a massage at Isabella Massage House. 7/10 for massage but the prices are exorbitant and the service is awful. I paid $42/person for a 1.5hr foot, hand and shoulder massage. A walk down the street got me to Eska, offering the very same massage at less than a third of the price in Isabella. Eska, according to reviews is great for massage too.

To get a real view on Batam, go down to Jodoh Boulevard, where there's a very happening night market selling pirated DVDs, clothes and food. It's less hectic in the day, but still fun to tour. Keep your wallet safe, wear shoes you can throw away and it's best if you are accompanied by a male. Still, it's a great photo opportunity, just make sure you triple bind the camera to yourself.

The streets in Batam aren't very walkable, but we walked it any way. Be alert and keep your eye on people who might be tailing you. Fortunately we didn't get harassed. Some friendly people tried to make conversation, we just replied them in few words but never stopped walking. And remember to invest a body scrub to get rid of all that dirt from vehicles and the street!
Great sharing

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is weird for a near mid-30s male to go on a single trip to Batam.

I just wanna have a short get-away to Batam: a clean and decent trip.

During my younger days, I always backpack in Australia alone but budget super-tight.

Then I started working, for the past 10 years, I avoided travelling just to save money. The further I went was 2 business trips to Adelaide, which was super-shiok.

I try to jio my close buddy to go but he always come up with thousand and one excuses.

I am going on a Bangkok trip next year during February after CNY with another close friend of mine though.

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is weird for a near mid-30s male to go on a single trip to Batam.

I just wanna have a short get-away to Batam: a clean and decent trip.

During my younger days, I always backpack in Australia alone but budget super-tight.

Then I started working, for the past 10 years, I avoided travelling just to save money. The further I went was 2 business trips to Adelaide, which was super-shiok.

I try to jio my close buddy to go but he always come up with thousand and one excuses.

I am going on a Bangkok trip next year during February after CNY with another close friend of mine though.

Many mid 50s unker go there eat cheekon, Where's the weird for a mid 30s going for a clean trip?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.