How to fill up name correctly on air tickets?

Rainbow1112

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got denied when i tried to use the the automation lane at Changi terminal 4 yesterday had to ask staff to override so that i can enter.. reason being different name in air ticket/passport..

On my passport/Nric my name is eg. David Chan ah boy (Christian name / surname / given name)

I was told by a Changi check in agent perviously for Chinese name i have to enter in this format Chan ah boy david (last name Chan / given name ah boy David)

I follow the instructions exactly as what i was told using the format above. No issue with jumbled up name perviously with t1-3 automated lane thou.
What should be the correct way to enter my name?

Last edited:

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think there is any one standard way to do it cos different airlines print different things on boarding passes etc.

But for what it's worth my last changi auto check in scan passport the system managed to identity me.

Surname / Last Name: Chan
Given / First Name: Ah Boy David

MightyPigeon

Reaction score
Look at your passport ID page. At the bottom it may seem gibberish, but that indicates the sequence of how the machine reads your name.

It goes by >>> FAMILY NAME >>> GIVEN NAME >> GIVEN NAME >> GIVEN NAME>> GIVEN NAME >>

finale1

Master Member
Reaction score
I got denied when i tried to use the the automation lane at Changi yesterday.. had to ask staff to override so that i can enter.. reason being different name in air ticket/passport..

On my passport/nric my name is eg. David Chan ah boy (Christian name / surname / given name

I was told by a Changi check in agent perviously for Chinese name i have to enter in this format Chan ah boy david as surname come first for Chinese.
I follow the instructions enter my details as Chan Ah Boy David for this trip.

How should i enter my name to avoid such issue?

When you buy tickets with ANY airlines, they will ask u to fill 2 names:

Family name (surname Chan)
Given Name (Ur name - rest of ur name)

Whatever u fill in, make sure its exactly same as passport, order jumbled up never mind. But it is a BIG deal if u leave out "David" in your ticket.

Rainbow1112

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't leave out anything.

Just that the format is jumbled up. And required assistance from Changi staff to override system which take quite awhile as not every staff have the authority to override the system.

No issue perviously when i use automated lane in t1-3 but issue with t4 automated lane..

aearthr

Reaction score
Eg. Passport/Nric name: David Chan Ah Boy (Christian name / surname / given name)

When booking your air ticket, it should be

First Name: David Ah Boy
Last Name: Chan

You should follow the same sequence/ order of your passport name. I have helped my friends booked air ticket with SQ, Scoot, Jetstar and never have this problem before. It should not be Ah Boy David as what the Changi check in agent said.

Also side note, for those who have hanyu pinyin name like David Chan Ah Boy (Chen A Bao). You can safely exclude the hanyu when booking air ticket.

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wait, since when at the auto gates need to use ticket one? They only check your tix before u enter the departure area before the auto gates and after u pass through, another security checks again what.

SBS2716G

Master Member
Reaction score
Wait, since when at the auto gates need to use ticket one? They only check your tix before u enter the departure area before the auto gates and after u pass through, another security checks again what.

T4 auto gate u need to scan boarding pass n passport to enter.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got denied when i tried to use the the automation lane at Changi terminal 4 yesterday had to ask staff to override so that i can enter.. reason being different name in air ticket/passport..

On my passport/Nric my name is eg. David Chan ah boy (Christian name / surname / given name)

I was told by a Changi check in agent perviously for Chinese name i have to enter in this format Chan ah boy david (last name Chan / given name ah boy David)

I follow the instructions exactly as what i was told using the format above. No issue with jumbled up name perviously with t1-3 automated lane thou.
What should be the correct way to enter my name?

My visa and air ticket always same format

First name: David
Last name: chan ah boy

So when they put in the ticket it's David Chan Ah Boy, same as my passport. Never got denied automatic clearance or boarding before.

TehOPengSiuDai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Look at your passport ID page. At the bottom it may seem gibberish, but that indicates the sequence of how the machine reads your name.

It goes by >>> FAMILY NAME >>> GIVEN NAME >> GIVEN NAME >> GIVEN NAME>> GIVEN NAME >>
Family name and last name same?

gairr

Reaction score
I used the T4 in Dec 2018 and my ticket is Ah Boy David Chan (passport is also David Chan Ah Boy) no problem at the automatic lane (unless they change their source code which is weird).

Yes, I do remember need to scan boarding pass which is so different from T1-3.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.