HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New Zealand or Switzerland. Which one is more scenic?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

New Zealand or Switzerland. Which one is more scenic?

For those who have been to both countries, what is your opinion?
greentiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Price/scenery (if that's even a metric) NZ wins because Switzerland is just super expensive everywhere.

In terms of accessibility then it's Switz. It's smaller than NZ but it has highly reliable rail network that takes u across the country in just hours (Zurich to Zermatt in ~4 hrs? Check). NZ you have to rent a car to get anywhere.

If you have a compact time frame then Switz wins, because you can compress scenery in just a few days compared to NZ. You can go from lush forest in Interlaken to snowy views in Jungfrau in under 3 hours..

Last edited by SpeedingBullet; 21-05-2020 at 09:19 AM..
SpeedingBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #3

Price/scenery (if that's even a metric) NZ wins because Switzerland is just super expensive everywhere.

In terms of accessibility then it's Switz. It's smaller than NZ but it has highly reliable rail network that takes u across the country in just hours (Zurich to Zermatt in ~4 hrs? Check). NZ you have to rent a car to get anywhere.

If you have a compact time frame then Switz wins, because you can compress scenery in just a few days compared to NZ. You can go from lush forest in Interlaken to snowy views in Jungfrau in under 3 hours..
in terms of price, what is more expensive?
Food/ accommodation or activities?
Cause I've only been to NZ and I did spent a lot so would like to know in what terms Switzerland is more expensive?
GeraldineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
High Supremacy Member

Food/ accommodation or activities?
Cause I've only been to NZ and I did spent a lot so would like to know in what terms Switzerland is more expensive?
Every single thing.

For activities, I haven't tried it all so I can't comment, you can just google around to see the general costs. But I'd wager that Switz is still more expensive.

Interestingly enough, flights to Switz are at the same price or can be cheaper than flying to Auckland.

Last edited by SpeedingBullet; 21-05-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Old 21-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Master Member

Scenery in CH especially the Alps wins hand down. NZ more spreadout and affordable. Plus NZ being right hand drive is easier.
WWH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Switzerland is expensive in literally everything 😂 McDonald’s meal is like 40-50sgd for 2 pax. My wife and I 9 days there spent 1.5k sgd on train fare, total costs around 12k sgd staying in non-atas hotels (best western kind of 3 star hotel) and eating in mid range restaurants.

Last edited by deodorant; 21-05-2020 at 05:35 PM..
deodorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Master Member

I prefer the towns and cities in Swiz definately more European character and history. Scenery wise probably NZ especially if you like wild coastal areas and beaches which Swiz doesn't have. Added plus for NZ is the range of adventure sports if you enjoy that.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

I like NZ more. Less crowded, more small town feel.
Swiss is tooooo Ed.
mingMeng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #9

Price wise- NZ is cheaper in lodging (airbnb) , food (takeaways) and transport (self drive). Swiss Hotels are expensive in touristy towns, food are mainly cafe or restaurants, and transport by train ( pass which can be expensive). I think airfare is similar for both as no budget airline for both destination.

Activities - NZ has a wider offering of activities, esp adventurous ones, maybe cheaper too

Scenary - NZ provides a wider range from alps, mountains, lakes and coastal views. While Swiss are mainly alps and villages. Though, imo, Swiss alps and mountain views and scenary in less touristy villages win hands down as compared to NZ's.

Last edited by happy_bear; 23-05-2020 at 10:43 PM..
happy_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
Master Member

Yes.visited both countries and will love to go back there again when air travelling resume.

I love the view of the train ride when looking out and see those houses and village when I took the train up to jungfraujoch. Until now I still go to the youtude and rewatch those video again. But due to the extreme high cost in Switzerland. Travellers impression also affected.

If u only want to visit Europe only once in your lifetime. Then Switzerland is really a MUST visit place.

NZ is actually quite similar to Iceland. But I find Iceland is more beautiful.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #11

Definitely NZ. Switzerland is just ridiculously expensive. Even if the train network is extensive, its just too expensive. Food is expensive. Everything is expensive. While NZ is very accessible by driving a car. Car Rental is cheap. Accommodations are decent and moderately priced in most places. People wise, Kiwis definitely nicer than the Swiss. Food can be cheap. NZ way way better than Switzerland...I am not likely to visit Switzerland again...don't like it.
gasband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

Just do both lah
Old 25-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

You sponsor?

Just do both lah
flowerpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have been to Switzerland in 2014, and supposedly New Zealand this month (postponed due to COVID).

Based on videos and images of New Zealand, I will not pick any. Both are equally beautiful.

Switzerland - beautiful for it's snow-capped mountains, river valleys.
New Zealand, lakes, mountains and landscape.

you should consider Scotland too, oh my it's beautiful, I went in 2018.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.