HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Northern Lights - December 2013

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Northern Lights - December 2013

Hey guys,

Anyone interested to go for the following trip?
Hoping to see the aurora's since its at solar maximum this year.

Previous travellers please feel free to make suggestions.

Looking at travelling in Dec.

Singapore-Stockholm
Stockholm-Tromso/Lapland

OR

Singapore-Oslo
Oslo-Tromso/Lapland
splitfirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

It's gonna be very very cold. Do u think we are able to see aurora at end aug?
Lordzephyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

If you are worry about cold - end Sept, early Oct would be better.

Anyway, I believe the coldest winter period is Jan/Feb.
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you are worry about cold - end Sept, early Oct would be better.

Anyway, I believe the coldest winter period is Jan/Feb.
actually im going on end aug/beginning sept. but i dunno if its worth making the trip to see northern lights as the recommended period is oct -march.
Lordzephyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Im going around end Oct/early Nov. Hope to see it too.

Should be going to Iceland/Norway and Finland (if there is time)
weeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

i am interested. for those who had gone before please share with us your 'journey'
jtleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

Well.. if you got time to scroll back the number of pictures submitted to Spaceweather and check to see if anyone managed to get shots of them during that time period.

It's a matter of weather - cloudless sky; solar behaviour - solar flares erupting with CME winds; and finally is the sky dark enough (or if the CME wind is so great, that even with a less than dark sky could see).
Old 26-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

I'm interested as well. Wondering if it's better to go on tours. Some tours will provide all the necessary clothing and equipment for the cold too. here's one of them Northern Lights Holiday. Arctic adventure tours and holidays.
green_day_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #9

I'm interested as well. Wondering if it's better to go on tours. Some tours will provide all the necessary clothing and equipment for the cold too. here's one of them Northern Lights Holiday. Arctic adventure tours and holidays.
Those kinds of small group tours are your best bet for it. Not only they provide the necessary stuff for the weather, but they know and do their very best to find cloudless sky spots and they are very good at spotting aurora, even if you can't really see it yet. If they are kind enough, they can even teach you how to spot early traces of aurora...

But, do note that you really have to make the effort to stay on it - it can be very tiring!!! Especially when the lights are bright - it can last for hours! Oh, don't think that maybe next day can still see - cause you never know what happens the next day!

For my case, I went to Finland instead of Norway, and the (local, ok, almost local since it was a Brit that runs it) tour price includes full boarding, and it was a great 3 nights of aurora hunting (see aurora for those 3 days) and a good 4 days night stay at the location.
Old 27-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

Those kinds of small group tours are your best bet for it. Not only they provide the necessary stuff for the weather, but they know and do their very best to find cloudless sky spots and they are very good at spotting aurora, even if you can't really see it yet. If they are kind enough, they can even teach you how to spot early traces of aurora...

But, do note that you really have to make the effort to stay on it - it can be very tiring!!! Especially when the lights are bright - it can last for hours! Oh, don't think that maybe next day can still see - cause you never know what happens the next day!

For my case, I went to Finland instead of Norway, and the (local, ok, almost local since it was a Brit that runs it) tour price includes full boarding, and it was a great 3 nights of aurora hunting (see aurora for those 3 days) and a good 4 days night stay at the location.
Yes. Was thinking of settling flight and accommodation by myself then just sign up for aurora hunting tours for the evenings
splitfirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Great Supremacy Member

Estimated cost?
tarui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #12

i am planning for a trip too..
kwarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #13

Interested. How about duration?
nuilnuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #14

I am planning a trip to catch the northern lights somewhere march nxt yr but was thinking issit better to go alaska or norway cos everywhere seem so beautiful.
Any advise?
luVgErgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Went to Yellowknife in Canada to catch the aurora, snow mobile, dog sledding,... The whole lot.
Spent 5 days there to make sure I catch the "good" nights.
The aurora is mysterious and beautiful, in the star-filled sky.
Bring along a tripod for your camera...
It's also rather cold... -37.
Can visit other parts of Canada after your aurora viewing.
Lovely country.... inexpensive imo.
2013 is supposed to be a good year to watch the northern lights.... Google for the science behind it.
Caught the lights in New Zealand too... But far lesser chance of seeing it there.
droozy likes this.
nivek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.