HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore to London Overland in 75 Days!!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #151

TS. Thanks you the wonderful and interesting post. I make myself to relook into this thread everyday,to look for new updates, just like following TVB drama.
Zeltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #152
Master Member

TS. Thanks you the wonderful and interesting post. I make myself to relook into this thread everyday,to look for new updates, just like following TVB drama.
same here! do consider to post at sqtalk or flyertalk too!
wj1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #153
Master Member

Just wondering if you found out whether the trains don't have heater in winter too? That would be equally awful.
saffronsatire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #154

I find it hilarious some people here are finicky about grammar lol, go back to EDMW.

Sir, you have made me wanderlust for Mongolia, such a beautiful place! Reminds me of my trip to Macedonia. Hope for more updates
apeape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #155
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just wondering if you found out whether the trains don't have heater in winter too? That would be equally awful.
Which train are you referring to? There are many segments of train journey documented so far.
Guilin-Beijing
Dzamin-uud - Ulan Bator
Ulan Bator - Irkutsk
Irkutsk - Yekaterinburg

I took the domestic train from Dzamin-uud to Ulan Bator and it was quite basic, no A/C which probably meant no heating. There are blankets however for all train trips.

Ulan Bator - Irkutsk is dependent on whether you are using a Mongolian or Russian train. I know that Russian trains have heating and based on online sources, the heating can make the cabin quite warm unfortunately. Note that Russian trains only apply from Irkutsk westwards onwards.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #156
Arch-Supremacy Member

same here! do consider to post at sqtalk or flyertalk too!
I will do it if/when I have the time. At the moment, I am sharing it here mainly for Singaporeans. On other forums, I have to do some adjustments like changing the base comparison currency to USD.

You are welcome!

I find it hilarious some people here are finicky about grammar lol, go back to EDMW.

Sir, you have made me wanderlust for Mongolia, such a beautiful place! Reminds me of my trip to Macedonia. Hope for more updates
I will probably create another version in EDMW once I am done documenting here for people to troll/comment/critique/less serious discussion haha.
Mongolia is a very beautiful place and you must get out of the capital Ulan Bator at all costs! To remain in the city itself is like a tourist going to Singapore and not eating its local food and going to places like Chinatown, Little India and Sentosa.

I only spent 3 nights out of Ulan Bator, so what I posted here is abit like the highlights of what I want to see in my short adventure out. You can choose to book a tour online or do it at your hostel/hotel that can take you throughout Mongolia and you will need close to a month. Based on my experience, cost of travelling starts to drop alot from 3persons onwards for such tours. Eg, my 4d3n will cost 380usd per person if there are 2 persons in tour but the cost is only cost 320usd per person if there are 3 persons in tour.
I got to know a few friends during my stay at the hostel in Ulan Bator and we traded contacts.
This was at one of the more mountainous regions in Mongolia, absolutely beautiful.
apeape likes this.

Last edited by coolhead; 03-08-2018 at 02:51 PM..
coolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #157

I will do it if/when I have the time. At the moment, I am sharing it here mainly for Singaporeans. On other forums, I have to do some adjustments like changing the base comparison currency to USD.

You are welcome!

I will probably create another version in EDMW once I am done documenting here for people to troll/comment/critique/less serious discussion haha.
Mongolia is a very beautiful place and you must get out of the capital Ulan Bator at all costs! To remain in the city itself is like a tourist going to Singapore and not eating its local food and going to places like Chinatown, Little India and Sentosa.

I only spent 3 nights out of Ulan Bator, so what I posted here is abit like the highlights of what I want to see in my short adventure out. You can choose to book a tour online or do it at your hostel/hotel that can take you throughout Mongolia and you will need close to a month. Based on my experience, cost of travelling starts to drop alot from 3persons onwards for such tours. Eg, my 4d3n will cost 380usd per person if there are 2 persons in tour but the cost is only cost 320usd per person if there are 3 persons in tour.
I got to know a few friends during my stay at the hostel in Ulan Bator and we traded contacts.
This was at one of the more mountainous regions in Mongolia, absolutely beautiful.
Omg. The background is like painting, so beautiful!
Zeltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:28 AM   #158
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yekaterinburg to Volgograd - 13/7/18

I have not been taken pictures of the train from Yekaterinburg to Volgograd, reason being it was very similar to the train from Irkutsk to Yekaterinburg. However, this time round there was much loved air-conditioning which made life onboard much more 2nd class-liked.
I was waiting for a train stop at a major city so that I could get some breakfast from the vendor. That came at close to lunch time. This was to be the city of Kazan. The train railway station already looked the most glamorous among all I have seen. The stop here is 1 hour which was the longest stop I have experienced so far.

When I alighted at Kazan, there was no food vendor in place. I suppose with 1 hour of train break, it meant that I could get out of railway station, do my business outside and then come in before the hour ended. I went to a street vendor outside and got a slice of pizza and this puff for 75 rub (S$1.60) total. This curry puff-liked pastry has chicken fillings.

I am afraid most of the train trips today will be boring to document as seeing that you have seen how street vendors were like and they were no different on this trip. I spent most of my time in train documenting the experiences in the past week. For dinner, I had instant noodles and bought this sweet bun for dessert.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #159
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D1 - 14/7/18

I finally reached Volgograd local time at 1148hrs. I actually thought I will reach at 1348hrs due to the confusion between Yekaterinburg (MCK+2) and Moscow (MCK) time. The whole Trans Siberian railway uses Moscow time. Nonetheless, I notice the error in time and packed my belongings before disembarking.
Here is Volgograd railway station.

I reached my apartment to put my backpack down and ventured for afternoon snack. Note that while the apartment looked alright internally, the exterior of the apartment building are what you will typically find in Russia: Grey, drab and gloomy. Thankfully, you can always beautify the insides of your apartment.

As there was nothing much in the apartment vicinity on first sight, I settled for 2 pastries, 1 with beef and 1 with chicken. Quite tasty but I was getting rather sick of pastries.

After some grocery shopping for water and breakfast tomorrow, I headed back to apartment for the 3rd place play-off between England and Belgium. Though I won my Belgium -0.25 goals bet, I lost my bet on >2.5 goals. Overall, I lost money for this match. I headed to a nearby restaurant called Gifts Armenia for Armenian food. I ordered a serving of bread and beef with pottaoes, cucumbers and peas, washed down with Russian beer. My partner had beef goulash with mushrooms. On the whole, the food was quite salty so we had to pair it with bread to lessen the salty taste; food was abit disappointing.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #160
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Today represents the highlight of my trip to Volgograd (f.k.a Stalingrad), to view the history of WW2 as close to the geographical proximity of it happening. One of my lifetime bucket list fulfilled. This is the obelisk related to the sacrifices of men made in WW2.

Thereafter, it was a stroll down a pleasant alley way to my next destination.

Remember me saying that alot of Russians loved to eat this brand of ice cream? I decided to try it on this pleasant Sunday morning. I went to central market where a supermarket was located and bought this ice cream. My verdict was, the vanilla cone tasted ordinary, but at only S$0.50, it was value for money.

Thereafter, the next attraction was Dom Pavlova, a.k.a Pavlov's house. Now, we are talking about real relics of WW2. The house is named in memory of Sgt Pavlov who was the first soldier to overtake this building permanently after changing hands many times. While the rest of the building were rebuilt, the corner red brick wall was conserved of what remained of the former WW2 building. There were even bullet holes of varying sizes on the red brick wall.

Next was an open air museum with the centre of attraction being this cratered building which stood the test of bombs and time to where it stands proud but battered today. Those who played Call of Duty 2 or watch any Stalingrad documentaries will find this building to be familiar.

I did stay in front of the building to reflect for awhile. It really showed the extent of street to street fighting and life must have been really unimaginable for troops to survive in such conditions.
I perceived that each opening in the building has a dark story of the blood shed amongst soldiers of both sides as they fought not for personal hatred of each other, but for the sake of the ideologies that each leader stood for. But what does it matter? At the end of it all, the corpse of the dead and minds of the living all fall into the black bottomless pit.
Laguna123 likes this.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:24 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #161
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Moving to something somewhat more cheerful are the various Soviet and captured German artillery pieces that were captured at this battle of Stalingrad.

Who can forget the famous German 88mm flak cannon, pictured on the right?

This is the picture of the volga river in front. From where I stand, it is about 150m to the river, which is about the same distance as the red battered building to the river. To think that the Germans closed in to such distance of the Volga river, while the Russians held their stand of 150m between their frontline and the volga river, is very intimidating and unthinkable.

I am still struggling to visualise and imagine the tenacity of the Russians to hold this 150m, which marked the end of advance of the Wehrmacht on the Eastern front in WW2. Being at the site is just unimaginable how this could have unfolded in the minds of Russians, defending this thin stretch of land at that point of time.

More pictures of the interior are taken but are off-limits to entry inside the red building. Alot of coins are on the ground, which I suppose were prayers by the living for the dead to RIP.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:25 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #162
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Next was the trip to the museum-panorama "The battle of stalingrad".

I took several picture of what captivated my interest in this museum. For all WW2 fanatics, most of the images here will be familiar to you and it will be interesting to test your memory on what you see from these WW2 collections.

This was apparently the uniform, equipment and rifle used by the famous
Soviet sniper, Vasily Zaitsev to kill German soldiers.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #163
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Here is a picture of the blown up T-34-76mm tank.

In contrast to the undamaged T-34 tank.

In this picture are the various Soviet heavy tank and tank destroyer. My fav is the IS-152 tank destroyer on the left, with its crazy 152mm barrel.

A model of the military train carriage for transport is shown here.

After the visit, I had lunch at a Georgian restaurant called Tamada.

I ordered salad "slavyanskiy" and Tavaduri. Both were very good and tasty dishes. This is Slavyankskiy, made of chicken, pickled cucumber, egg, potatoes, green peas, mayonnaise.

This is Tavaduri, made of beef, potatoes, champignons, onions, mayonnaise and vegetables.

I thought the decor of the restaurant was nice and took a picture of it as well.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #164
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Our last visit was to the Mamayev Kurgan, which is the famous statue of the female, willing all her citizens to fight.

Another war statue.

Near the statue, an eternal flame war memorial is held in memory of the fallen in Stalingrad, with a change of military guard every hourly. In the next post, I will post the videos on the hourly change of guard.

I went back to my apartment amidst the rain in time for the finals between France and Croatia. I had bet quite abit on France to win the World Cup and they didn't disappoint me. Thereafter, I had stuffed pie with meat fillings at a cafe for dinner. This stuffed pie is 500grams heavy.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #165
Arch-Supremacy Member

Volgograd D2 - 15/7/18

Video 1: Parade change at ground floor. Notice the solemn and chilling music in both videos.

Video 2: Parade change at 1st floor. Though not taken in this video, each guard will keep a handkerchief in his beret. The commander will remove the handkerchief from the beret, wipe the soldier's face and forehead from any beads of rain/perspiration, adjust the uniform and put back the handkerchief and beret at its original position.
Laguna123 likes this.

Last edited by coolhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.