HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore to London Overland in 75 Days!!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #16

keep it up.. following your journey haha
Prof Goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #17
Great Supremacy Member

Awesome to see the trip materialize after so much planning! Have fun.
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #18

Awesome! keep em coming
arfness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
Honorary Member

Thanks again for sharing! Looking forward to more!
Beta_Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

how old is ur dad?
he can tahan such a long trip?
He's physically fit. 62 this year.
coolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

keep it up.. following your journey haha
Thanks! No internet connection but had lots of time yesterday. I documented till Beijing. Hopefully I have internet connection tonight to share more.
Old 28-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

Penang Day 2 - 2/6/18

On 2nd day, I headed to the main attraction of Penang island: Georgetown.

I had our brunch at this little known food shop and had Penang prawn mee and a satisfying desert of tau huay with gula melaka.

Thereafter, I walked to explore the street art and murals along Beach Street.

That's when I chanced upon the free shuttle bus that plys central Georgetown area.

Last edited by coolhead; 28-06-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Old 28-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

I made use of the free shuttle bus to save abit of walking and also arrived at the touristic Penang chendol much raved.

The chendol was moderately sweet and the green chendol is the star attraction. Biting into it gave a slightly crunchy texture and complemented well with generous servings of gula melaka. However, I found it abit diluted.
Nonetheless for 3rm per serving, I am not complaining.

Thereafter, we decided to head back to our hostel but not without exploring the seaside that Penang has to offer. We hopped by Chew Jetty and took some pictures.

The sea view was rather average and you could just about capture the same view from Singapore. Dinner was settled at the food court opposite Chew Jetty with different dishes to satisfy any last minute cravings I have for Penang food.

Clockwise from top: Lok Lok, Penang prawn mee, Penang fried kway teow with duck egg, claypot mee.
I highly recommend the Penang fried kway teow with duck egg and the claypot mee. Thinking of it is just so salivating!
Old 28-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Penang Day 3 - 3/6/18

Today, I will be leaving Penang for an overnight train to Bangkok. There was ample time for brekkie at Penang island and we had it at a coffee shop at Chew Jetty. Apparently, alot of shops opened later than usual on a Sunday, including food shops. Unfortunately, the much raved Ali Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang along Beach street was closed on Sunday! What a disappointment, so Chew Jetty coffeeshop it is!

We ordered the Penang fried kway teow, wonton mee again and wash it down with their kopi C which is not that different from Singapore. The picture really captures the expected flavourfulness from the food.

Walked around abit and there was a street bazaar along Beach street as well.

Missing the cheap and awesome food, we departed Penang island for mainland Malaysia.Do note that there is no need to pay for the return ferry trip back to Malaysia. It operates fairly frequently as 4 ferries ply the away and return route.

On reaching mainland Malaysia, the train ticket from Penang (Butterworth to Padang Besar) is bought from Butterworth railway station itself and cannot be bought online. The rationale is the train is an ETS Kommuter train and anyone that buys a ticket can get onboard. You just may not have seating space onboard the train, so try to be abit kiasu for this otherwise you will be standing for close to 2 hours or wait till someone gets up from seat.

An interesting picture here, apparently, it is pasted that no indecent behaviour is allowed, hehe.

Last edited by coolhead; 28-06-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Old 28-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

I reached Padang Besar Railway at Malaysian border at 1625hrs just as expected. Little did I know that I have to reach the immigration checkpoint in the station within 5mins as it closes at 1630hrs!!! Alas I was too late dilly dallying figuring out how to use the sleeper train ticket and only reached immigration by 1645, which was closed by then.
In a race for time to make sure we were able to board the 1 and only 1700hrs train, I asked around and the alternative is to walk to the Malaysian immigration 500m northeast from Padang Besar railway. Reached and stamped out, a taxi tout asked if I need help to go to Thailand border. I rejected at first but faced with little choice, I accepted his offer at a relatively reasonable 20Rm, given the circumstances.
After clearing immigration, the taxi brought me to Thai immigration checkpoint. Here is where you have to be careful. At Thai immigration, there maybe punks who will request to take your passport and fill in the immigration form for a fee. You can do it yourself as it is simple. Go to the immigration building direct, fill in the form and let the immigration officer process it.
The whole clearing process took 20mins for 2 persons and it was 1715 by the time it was done. I was not harbouring hopes on boarding the train and felt increasingly dejected. Reaching the Padang Besar railway at Thai side, we were relieved to know that it will be 1800hrs at Thai side as it is 1 hour earlier than M'sia side. We spent the next 30mins resting and taking pictures

The train was decent and made for a clean and comfortable passage, though abit jerky at times but nonetheless safe.

We had the option to purchase dinner and breakfast. I only chose the dinner option and forgo the breakfast as I prefer the breakfast in lovely Bangkok. Dinner was decent, with chicken and green curry with rice.

After dinner, the steward prepared and converted our seats into beds for turning in to sleep. The conversion process was pretty fast in half a minute. We both had the bottom beds and were single sized beds. There was a curtain to provide courtesy.
Old 29-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #26

I reached Padang Besar Railway at Malaysian border at 1625hrs just as expected. Little did I know that I have to reach the immigration checkpoint in the station within 5mins as it closes at 1630hrs!!! Alas I was too late dilly dallying figuring out how to use the sleeper train ticket and only reached immigration by 1645, which was closed by then.
In a race for time to make sure we were able to board the 1 and only 1700hrs train, I asked around and the alternative is to walk to the Malaysian immigration 500m northeast from Padang Besar railway. Reached and stamped out, a taxi tout asked if I need help to go to Thailand border. I rejected at first but faced with little choice, I accepted his offer at a relatively reasonable 20Rm, given the circumstances.
After clearing immigration, the taxi brought me to Thai immigration checkpoint. Here is where you have to be careful. At Thai immigration, there maybe punks who will request to take your passport and fill in the immigration form for a fee. You can do it yourself as it is simple. Go to the immigration building direct, fill in the form and let the immigration officer process it.
The whole clearing process took 20mins for 2 persons and it was 1715 by the time it was done. I was not harbouring hopes on boarding the train and felt increasingly dejected. Reaching the Padang Besar railway at Thai side, we were relieved to know that it will be 1800hrs at Thai side as it is 1 hour earlier than M'sia side. We spent the next 30mins resting and taking pictures
I took the Hat Yai to BKK and BKK to Chiang Mai trains a couple of times a long time ago. They are really fast, comfy, quiet and clean compared to the Malaysian trains. Love them.

I crossed the Thai-Malaysian border on a Singapore to Hat Yai bus (super long and umcomfy). The bus driver collected our passports and a really small amount of money ... didn't even got off the bus for immigration and customs at all lol ...

Last edited by artemov; 29-06-2018 at 12:41 PM..
artemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

I took the Hat Yai to BKK and BKK to Chiang Mai trains a couple of times a long time ago. They are really fast, comfy, quiet and clean compared to the Malaysian trains. Love them.

I crossed the Thai-Malaysian border on a Singapore to Hat Yai bus (super long and umcomfy). The bus driver collected our passports and a really small amount of money ... didn't even got off the bus for immigration and customs at all lol ...
Bangkok to bong khai train is ok. The horror trip is the bus trip from Laos to Hanoi. Hehe.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bangkok D1 - 4/6/18

I slept rather soundly throughout the trip, despite the little jerks that took place. I arrived at Hua Lamphong Railway station at 10a.m.

I got off the railway and walked out in the busy Bangkok traffic.
My priority in my acommodation booking is to book the accommodation near my next departure point. As Hualamphong railway station is also my departure point to Laos, I booked at Fun Cafe & Hostel.

Entering the hostel, I believe it is one of the most pleasant hostel I will ever stay. The beds are clean, shared bathrooms are clean, good and strong wifi, nothing more that I can ask for.

Lunch was at Odeon Noodles shop which was mediocre, despite a 4/5 rating on Google maps. The meal consisted of fried rice, wonton mee, crabmeat roll. I will not come here given the much better Thai food that can be found almost anywhere.

After a late lunch, took a walk through Yaowarat road, a.k.a Chinatown, and explored the streets and side business plied by workers which can be seen selling dried food, clothes, raw meat amongst other merchandise.

It took me about an hour of touring around Chinatown to make a complete loop and I walked back to our hostel thereafter to have a rest.

Last edited by coolhead; 03-07-2018 at 10:43 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bangkok D1 - 4/6/18

Dinner was decided at Pratunam Night Market and feasted on some much-craved seafood.
The whole atmosphere was abuzzed with hungry shoppers looking to fill their stomachs. I thoroughly enjoy the meal especially the salt baked fish which never disappoints.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bangkok D2 - 5/6/18

I ventured out to try the morning street food in Bangkok. This was along Yotha road, about 500m from our hostel. Of particular concern is the hygiene at these street food stalls, in the end we opted for noodles inside a food shop. I found the curry chicken noodle with drumstick to be better than expected, slightly diluted but otherwise tasty. For 40baht, I felt this was a bargain. However, I noticed that servings of noodles/rice in Thailand are rather small and are perhaps the ideal of eating 6 small meals a day. Nonetheless, I prefer to reserve my stomach for other possible Thai food and only had this for breakfast.

Next, I headed to Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall, which comprehensively told the history of Bangkok from King Rama I - IX.
Entrance fee for adults was 100baht and free for seniors above 60. It can be seen that Thais revere the colour yellow/gold as it is symbolic with the colour for the Thai monarch.

An overview of the palace area in Bangkok which the Thai king lived.

Overlooking an area of Bangkok from the Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall.

We toured the exhibit in about 3 hours and thereafter, had an early dinner at Mcdonalds. I ordered a Big Mac and I have to say it's much better than Singapore, though pricing is the same as Singapore. The cheese was 1 full slice, with lots of lettuce and mayonaise, just like how Big Mac was in the 1990's in Singapore.

After Big Macs meal, I bought a street side pineapple as dessert and it was really sweet and satisfying. In the background, secondary school girls (there are no guys) were seen leaving the school in masses. Somehow, I had the impression that this was a good Secondary school and the Mcdonalds which I had my meal was partially filled with students seeking tuition, pretty much like Singapore's study culture.

Pardon me for the slightly blurred image here, but I had to crop myself out.
Apparently, despite having entered Bangkok a few times, I did not know that this was a tourist area, in fact an overly touristic district. This area is Chakrabongse road, with the streets lining up with eateries selling seafood, Western and thai cuisine, massages and other tourist accessory shops. It turned out that ALL the eateries were having the same menu and price, talk about monopolistic competition!

Last edited by coolhead; 03-07-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.