HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For those who love to travel alone

Like Tree367Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #3196

In general, is it relatively easy to extend a stay (at Dorms) while staying there?

I'm backpacking Europe with no fixed plan/itinerary and I have a fear of not being able to extend my stay and I'll have to find a new accomodation if I decide to stay longer.
In my opinion, solo travel is more flexible in last min planning / change of plan and room booking. The only thing I don't like is if you last min extend/change, sometime hostel has no more places/fully booked, and you need to find another place which is further away from the ideal location (close to public transport/convenient store/eatery)...finding a place to stay of course is no problem but finding the ideal location and sometime within the budget is another thing...

For me i will try to stay in hostel near public transport.

Last edited by magpierobin; 25-10-2018 at 08:40 PM..
magpierobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #3197
Great Supremacy Member

In general, is it relatively easy to extend a stay (at Dorms) while staying there?

I'm backpacking Europe with no fixed plan/itinerary and I have a fear of not being able to extend my stay and I'll have to find a new accomodation if I decide to stay longer.
So far, Iíve only had to change rooms because a group of 4/6 make a booking.

Obviously, it will depend on demand and you can mitigate the risk by avoiding peak season and top rated hotels. Otherwise, itís really no trouble finding another place if youíre traveling light.
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #3198

hostel yea depend if there have enough bed if you intend to extend in the future.

dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:26 PM   #3199
Arch-Supremacy Member

solo traveller to taiwan, 4th - 18th dec, hit me up! looking at taipei, hsinchu, taitung, green island
Nice ~~ come bk share your experience
~sabaisabai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #3200

hostel yea depend if there have enough bed if you intend to extend in the future.
So far, Iíve only had to change rooms because a group of 4/6 make a booking.

Obviously, it will depend on demand and you can mitigate the risk by avoiding peak season and top rated hotels. Otherwise, itís really no trouble finding another place if youíre traveling light.
In my opinion, solo travel is more flexible in last min planning / change of plan and room booking. The only thing I don't like is if you last min extend/change, sometime hostel has no more places/fully booked, and you need to find another place which is further away from the ideal location (close to public transport/convenient store/eatery)...finding a place to stay of course is no problem but finding the ideal location and sometime within the budget is another thing...

For me i will try to stay in hostel near public transport.
Ahh thanks guys, it seems my fear is relatively irrational afterall. Thanks!
Old 26-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #3201

If you have access to the internet (data SIM card) to book hotels, you don't have to worry as long as it is not a peak period or special events. Booking sites like Agoda.com and Airbnb basically puts thousands of rooms at your disposal.

At worse, last minute rooms may not be as nice or may be more expensive, but you should still be able to get a room. Just increase your budget. If you kiasu, book 1 or 2 days before hand, and do your search after checkout time when more rooms are available.

Ahh thanks guys, it seems my fear is relatively irrational afterall. Thanks!
butterbarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #3202
Arch-Supremacy Member

Does anybody know whether mid April 15 to 25 will be super crowded compared to mid November in Osaka-Tokyo?
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #3203

If you have access to the internet (data SIM card) to book hotels, you don't have to worry as long as it is not a peak period or special events. Booking sites like Agoda.com and Airbnb basically puts thousands of rooms at your disposal.

At worse, last minute rooms may not be as nice or may be more expensive, but you should still be able to get a room. Just increase your budget. If you kiasu, book 1 or 2 days before hand, and do your search after checkout time when more rooms are available.
Yea that's a good point. Still was curious how easy (or not) it was for solo backpackers to extend their dorm stays while visiting. Thanks again for your inputs!
Old 29-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #3204

This really easy to test. Just goto Agoda or any hotel booking site/app, and do a search for the hotels in your favorite city for the same day or next day, and see how many results you get.

This will tell you how hard or easy it is to get a room at the last minute. With everything on the web, you don't have to wait till you get to the city to test out your idea. You can do it from your armchair.

I've been doing last minute booking for the past few years, and rarely had an issue. The only time I had a problem was when I was in Ipoh and booked a room rather late, around 8pm for the same night, and I could only find a crappy hotel. Apparently, hotels are in short supply in Ipoh, but I could have avoided this by booking a few hours earlier. Even so, I still got a room. But no other places had this issue, so far.

Yea that's a good point. Still was curious how easy (or not) it was for solo backpackers to extend their dorm stays while visiting. Thanks again for your inputs!

Last edited by butterbarter; 29-10-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 30-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #3205

Just went to Cambodia alone for a few days - enjoyed the peace :-)
Old 30-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #3206
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just went to Cambodia alone for a few days - enjoyed the peace :-)
can i join in next time
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #3207
Master Member

looking into going solo to Jogjakarta in the final week of the year.
lowzeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #3208
Arch-Supremacy Member

omg this thread still going strong.... 😱
ShinigamiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #3209
Master Member

looking into going solo to Jogjakarta in the final week of the year.
Just booked the air ticket to go there. Solo trip #9 since 2014.
lowzeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #3210

For Jogja, I recommend going to see the Borobudur sunrise. Don't take the cheap tours - those bring you to a nearby park to watch sunrise over Borobudur from a distance.

Make sure you specify you want to see the sunrise INSIDE Borobudur. If you can't find a tour, you can arrange a private taxi or shuttle to send you there in the morning, but it will cost you more.

Some people stay in the Manohara hotel, at the entrance of Borobudur. But the hotel is now closed for renovations, so this is not an option.

Also, I recommend you go to Prambanan (can catch public bus from Jogja), which has Hindu temples similar to Angkor Wat. Awesome too. Catch the nearby opera. Great experience.

Just booked the air ticket to go there. Solo trip #9 since 2014.

Last edited by butterbarter; 21-11-2018 at 12:06 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.