HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For those who love to travel alone

Like Tree367Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #31

I did that when I was touring Central England...but hate it when I need to bother people to help me with photo, most of the time those shots taken are far from my expectation. Maybe should invest in a tripod of so...
bkmailsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #32

haha I took a longggg time to get to Hakone due to getting lost... By the time I reached the sky was getting dark and I did not know what time the last bus was so I quickly took a few pics and made my way down. It was so deserted and not a single pax at the bus stop. Can't imagine missing the last bus and having to stay at one of the costly hotels at Hakone
Well, there are not-so-costly hotels too u know...

Travelling solo certainly has its fun and challenges. But so does travelling in a small group. Sometimes good to do both!

I started 2 years ago and have been travelling alone every once in a while. I feel that each time just gets better. 1 con of travelling alone is that there are no one to take photos for you and i don't really like to ask a passerby to do it as it's quite Awkward ~ :p
I did that when I was touring Central England...but hate it when I need to bother people to help me with photo, most of the time those shots taken are far from my expectation. Maybe should invest in a tripod of so...
Yup, there are pretty light tripods around, and better still, get one of those gorillapod or ultrapod - very useful!!
wuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #33

The one time that I realised I may have pushed my luck too far is my trip to Morocco. Poland is a close second. In both cases the "lost" feeling struck. Hahahaha...
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #34

I hate to travel in a large group because hard to make everyone happy. End up paying so much for a trip just to accommodate others. Nowadays, I either travel alone or limit the traveling group to no more than 3.

no problem. can always split into small grps of 2 or 3 mah.
apengrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

lone traveller here as well.. lol. heading to turkey and iran this summer.
goh6570 likes this.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #36

Solo packer here as well. Headed to Brazil this june. Don't think I can ever survive travelling with a partner now. Love the freedom(and the lack of people grumbling at me for being me).

Take these 3 things, 1 bag, travel insurance and an EVIL camera(imho).

On a side note long zhong gong hei!
goh6570 likes this.
footse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #37
Master Member

since there are so many lone travellers, why not any of the female here organise a trip out of singapore togeher with me?
im dying to to explore places out of singapore.

if i myself decides to travel alone, only dare to try asia/australia for now.
Taengoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #38

If they do, then they will no longer be lone travellers anymore, right ? Which defeats the entire purpose of this thread.

since there are so many lone travellers, why not any of the female here organise a trip out of singapore togeher with me?
butterbarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Master Member

recently discovered the joy of travelling alone. although there are times where i do wish i could share my joy or magnificent views with some people in my life, or just to chat with them.

i do like the freedom that i get when i travel alone: go anywhere, do whatever i want and all.

im still a little more guarded since i am a female and im perhaps still not that street savvy as others in countries less safe than singapore. trying to get my game face (i dont know where i am headed but i fake it till i make it!) on and see the world still. glad to see that there are others who likes to do the same.

just wondering how do u guys cope in a country where their main language is not english and how do u get around/communicate?
goh6570 likes this.
Old 31-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #40
Master Member

recently discovered the joy of travelling alone. although there are times where i do wish i could share my joy or magnificent views with some people in my life, or just to chat with them.

i do like the freedom that i get when i travel alone: go anywhere, do whatever i want and all.

im still a little more guarded since i am a female and im perhaps still not that street savvy as others in countries less safe than singapore. trying to get my game face (i dont know where i am headed but i fake it till i make it!) on and see the world still. glad to see that there are others who likes to do the same.

just wondering how do u guys cope in a country where their main language is not english and how do u get around/communicate?
1. I learn a few phrases here and there b4 flying over. Usually I try to rem it in the plane. lolz.

2. Take pic of food/ loo etc in case is totally cant communicate

3. Download a English/ xxx translation app. Then i show it to the people

4. If you garang like me, i will try to learn a few words everyday and try to use it everyday till i rem. If dont know how to pronoun, ask a local over there to help you out. ie while waiting for train, "catch" a local to teach you.. haha

PS: I have STM, i will almost surely forget whatever i have learn when i'm back in SG
goh6570 likes this.
weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi peeps. I am glad I am actually not alone.
I went Bangkok for a rock concert last year November. It was actually quite enjoyable because I do not need to wait for others or keep others waiting, I literally wake whatever time I want, stop where I feel like to, eat wherever I want. But i guess the biggest downside is that I don't get to eat a variety of food...

Anyway, I am planning a short 3days to Hanoi, then 3days to siem reap. Any recommendations for travel itinerary, advice what to watch out for, etc etc.
macaronmacaron likes this.
kazuki666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #42

Notice how the natives approach you less when you are traveling with partners? I certainly devote more attention to native culture and people more when I travel by myself.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #43

if i myself decides to travel alone, only dare to try asia/australia for now.
why asia/australia only?
YuzuJuiceDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #44

1. I learn a few phrases here and there b4 flying over. Usually I try to rem it in the plane. lolz.

2. Take pic of food/ loo etc in case is totally cant communicate

3. Download a English/ xxx translation app. Then i show it to the people

4. If you garang like me, i will try to learn a few words everyday and try to use it everyday till i rem. If dont know how to pronoun, ask a local over there to help you out. ie while waiting for train, "catch" a local to teach you.. haha

PS: I have STM, i will almost surely forget whatever i have learn when i'm back in SG
Same here.... v poor memory, so forget most stuff after a while!!

But good advice above, and to add to that, there's always body/sign language and mime, although do note that some countries may have different meanings for similar body/sign language!! :p
wuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #45
Master Member

why asia/australia only?
feel safer. .and more travel info! how about u?
Taengoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.