HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For those who love to travel alone

Like Tree370Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #781
High Supremacy Member

can i ask, how does one travel alone?

ok stupid qn but i always wanted to go on vacation alone but always have too many things on my mind i.e contingency plans, all the what-if etc..

there are so many places i wanna go but not sure how to start..

would like to visit:

tokyo/osaka, japan for cherry blossom
seoul, korea for panmunjeom dmz tour
europe for aurora borealis
melbourne, australia for great ocean road
tasmania, australia for aurora australis and the really laid back lifestyle
perth, australia to just revisit some places

etc..

always waiting for friend but in the end all cmi, plans cancelled... sian... my goal for all trips is just to make nice photos, really slow down and relax..
i always end up booking the trip before anyone confirms because waiting for frens to confirm is a huge pain ...den just wait for people to go along.

at most if nobody just walk abt myself...
~大.芒.果~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #782

ok stupid qn but i always wanted to go on vacation alone but always have too many things on my mind i.e contingency plans, all the what-if etc..

Choose a safer and tourist friendly nearby place like HK or Taiwan if you're worried. Australia is generally safe, so is Seoul or Tokyo.

Register with the Singapore embassy and do your research about the locations. Choose accommodations with good reviews, and visit attractions that are less remote.

Let someone know your itinerary in case they need to track you. If you're worried, activate your global roaming or get a local SIM card there.

Lastly, just enjoy the spontaneity if anything unexpected crops up!
WadsUpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #783
Arch-Supremacy Member

would like to visit:

tokyo/osaka, japan for cherry blossom
seoul, korea for panmunjeom dmz tour
europe for aurora borealis
melbourne, australia for great ocean road
tasmania, australia for aurora australis and the really laid back lifestyle
perth, australia to just revisit some places

etc..

always waiting for friend but in the end all cmi, plans cancelled... sian... my goal for all trips is just to make nice photos, really slow down and relax..
I guess it's all about courage.

To make a move. To execute the first step and then work from that. You should start with whatever you think is right/attractive to YOU. Planning to travel alone means doing what you would like to do. Keep that in mind.

It's good that you have contingency plans as it may come in handy (so is an extra wad of cash ).

I guess in Singapore, it's rare to have friends traveling with us, hence traveling alone is the best way to do what you want to do. More freedom too.

I've yet to travel (alone), but I plan to this coming August.

Good luck
Old 25-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #784
Honorary Member

thanks all... maybe can start with japan, forgo the cherry blossom and just go look see first.. but hor i got big problem with packing my photography gear..
Old 25-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #785

i always end up booking the trip before anyone confirms because waiting for frens to confirm is a huge pain ...den just wait for people to go along.

at most if nobody just walk abt myself...
True. Most prob will be going to Tokyo next week on impulse!
With friends I can never do this and most prob whole life never travel anywhere! Few months back friends were thinking of going for a trip but as expected they back out lol. In a way pity them la cos with their hesitant character they will never get to see many beautiful places in the world
xwei_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #786
High Supremacy Member

thanks all... maybe can start with japan, forgo the cherry blossom and just go look see first.. but hor i got big problem with packing my photography gear..
I've seen people carry full backpacks worth of photography equipment

True. Most prob will be going to Tokyo next week on impulse!
With friends I can never do this and most prob whole life never travel anywhere! Few months back friends were thinking of going for a trip but as expected they back out lol. In a way pity them la cos with their hesitant character they will never get to see many beautiful places in the world
Yah, very annoying...everytime frens say wanna go overseas, say say say, end up never go one

I always end up booking first, then some of them will finally decide to book . Can backfire sometimes though
~大.芒.果~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #787

Choose a safer and tourist friendly nearby place like HK or Taiwan if you're worried. Australia is generally safe, so is Seoul or Tokyo.

Register with the Singapore embassy and do your research about the locations. Choose accommodations with good reviews, and visit attractions that are less remote.

Let someone know your itinerary in case they need to track you. If you're worried, activate your global roaming or get a local SIM card there.

My first 3 solo trips were japan hahahah
Next I went Taiwan then Korea then hong kong then ventured to Australia!

Last edited by xwei_00; 25-03-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Old 25-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #788

I lost my JR pass in Osaka and was seriously broke! Luckily coming back in 2 days lolz
Old 25-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #789

Yah, very annoying...everytime frens say wanna go overseas, say say say, end up never go one

I always end up booking first, then some of them will finally decide to book . Can backfire sometimes though
U never try before already at the travel agency gonna make payment and someone says STOP! Drags us out and says she needs to reconsider the trip :/ that was that pushed me to go for my first solo trip.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #790

U never try before already at the travel agency gonna make payment and someone says STOP! Drags us out and says she needs to reconsider the trip :/ that was the push for me to go for my first solo trip
Old 26-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #791
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi, anyone in singapore did an overland trip from singapore to london before? planning to do one soon.

most of the trip will be by train except in cambodia as there is no connecting train. through russia will be through the infamous trans-siberian
I did overland from China to Germany. Wanted to start from Vietnam but had time constraint. And also I was in Hanoi (to start the journey) just a few months before I went on the trans siberia. Just didn't fancy going to Vietnam again. Don't really like Vietnam.

Last edited by dilphinus; 26-03-2014 at 04:14 AM..
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #792
High Supremacy Member

I did overland from China to Germany. Wanted to start from Vietnam but had time constraint. And also I was in Hanoi (to start the journey) just a few months before I went on the trans siberia. Just didn't fancy going to Vietnam again. Don't really like Vietnam.
But Vietnam foods are nice right? No?
a&w_rootbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #793
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm not a fan of vietnamese food. And I don't take coffee either. I've been to Vietnam a few times. Not somewhere I would wanna go for another holiday. Except maybe for the HCM trail.
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #794
Arch-Supremacy Member

I flown solo twice this year to meet either gf or friends later. I also go by the theory, got cheap tickets whack first. That's what I did for my recent Tokyo trip. Booked back in Oct and was originally planning to go alone. But another friend said he don't mind coming along in Jan. And last guy confirmed in Feb. So from solo become three but they were my best friends so I didn't mind at all.
xtwis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #795

Yes it often is. However, the hygiene level is suspect at some of the cheaper places.

If you eat at those tiny shops/stalls by the road, make sure you eat food that is thoroughly cooked on the spot. Do not eat sandwiches or things that have been left out in the hot humid weather. Common sense tells you these are not safe. Do not eat anything with ice unless you are in a high end restaurant.

If you eat in a budget restaurant, look carefully at it to ensure they are not dirty(dirt-stained windows, dead flies lying around, live flies buzzing around, dirty table clothes, etc)

Taste wise, some of the food is very tasty. They have fried noodles that is similar to our tze-char style of noodles. Very nice. Their chicken rice (com ga) is also awesome when freshly cooked. Of course their pho needs no intro, but the taste is slightly less salty than the localized version in Singapore.

When in Vietnam, as in any 3rd world country, you can treat yourself to a nice meal in a good restaurant for a reasonable price. It's about 20-40SGD per pax depending on city, which is expensive for Vietnam, but is only moderately priced for Singaporeans.

I've visited Vietnam many times, and have been to North, South and Central Vietnam. Once you get over the chaotic traffic and occasional crook, it's not a bad place to visit.
butterbarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.