HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US help.

Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #3136

Am going NY next sat.

Any things to take note? I will spend 7 days there then go to DC for 3 days.

I understand that it is very cold there now.. still worth it to go to the outlets? I mean are they on winter wear?

Can someone intro me a nice travel blog for a couple to tour NYDC? we staying @ madison sq the holiday inn

For DC, staying at Hyatt and W hotel.

Overspent on air tix and hotel. LOL. because wife bday... ya, plesae intro me. i brought 2.5k USD for shopping and rest use card -----> should use card or cash better?

Any must buys?

She likes history, nature
I like theme park.

Regards,

Siyu
I believe I previously shared my NY + DC itinerary with you.

It's spring time already so Woodbury Outlets should have clothes that fits the Singapore weather. Anyway, t shirts and jeans are there all year round and so are shoes! Please book the bus to Woodbury in advance and check if they make a stop near your hotel. Otherwise you have to make your way to Port Authority Bus Terminal to catch the bus.

Outlets clothes are generally of a lower quality, so if you don't mind spending a little more you can shop at 5th Avenue. No taxes on clothing and shoes under $110

I see that you are staying near Madison Square Garden which is just two blocks south. Your hotel is within walking distance from Penn Station (which is under Madison Square Garden) between 29th and 30th Street. You may consider taking the LIRR for JFK instead of cab to save some money.

NYC is a destination to shop, dine, watch musicals and visit museums. There isn't much natural scenery (unless you are talking about central park!) or theme parks on the east coast. You need to plan a trip to the west coast or Orlando for these.

The natural history in NYC and DC are both excellent and beats our science centre hands down. Just to let you know that the one in DC is free though, as are the other Smithsonian Musuems in DC. I highly recommend the Smithsonian Air And Space Museum though because you can see the Space related exhibition and it's free! I have not been to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in NYC though so I cannot comment.

I beg to differ with Shiny Things with regards to using credit card...the exchange rate is worse than using cash that you changed at the money changer. The difference can be as much as SGD0.10 for every USD you spend. Limit the amount of cash in your wallet to $300 per day just in case

Enjoy your trip in the city that never sleeps!
paul02 likes this.

Last edited by mroneder; 05-04-2016 at 10:15 AM..
mroneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #3137
Arch-Supremacy Member

bring cash just be careful and don't walk in shady area asking for trouble. its the same deal as going to Malaysia or Thailand. even in Singapore bring thousands of dollars and be at wrong place maybe asking for trouble money or no money if kena those desperate.

I have seen ppl carry alot of money.. esp those PRC and Indo, the African American too. with a little care and be aware of your surrounds one will be alright.

no theme parks in NYC.
but into rides can go
http://lunaparknyc.com/
https://www.darienlake.com/

Last edited by patryn33; 05-04-2016 at 12:09 PM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #3138
Supremacy Member

Hi I'm interested to go US, but really unsure which part of US should I go.
I'm going with my wife and 5 year old son. More into sightseeing, visiting historian places to take photos, shopping and some theme parks and activities for my son. Preferably less walking, so renting a car will be good.

Pls advice which part of US fits into my requirement? Going for around 1 week. If can, recommend which Arline to take too thabks
bendi85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #3139
Arch-Supremacy Member

1 week? U may felt you had spend more time on the plane!
Most ppl go for 2 week. 1 week feel like biz trip. I just went to Miami for 1 day. 1130am arrive and took off at 7pm same day
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #3140
Master Member

Hi I'm interested to go US, but really unsure which part of US should I go.
I'm going with my wife and 5 year old son. More into sightseeing, visiting historian places to take photos, shopping and some theme parks and activities for my son. Preferably less walking, so renting a car will be good.

Pls advice which part of US fits into my requirement? Going for around 1 week. If can, recommend which Arline to take too thabks
One way time to fly to US will be minimum 18 hours and that's flight time only. Count that real time with connection is 24h.

If you have 7 days, you will spend minimum 2 days just on flying and expect to pay for that flights minimum $5000 for three people - that's in Economy, without using points/miles.

So, in other words you will be paying $1000/day to be in US just on flights, without any lodging, car, entertainment/shopping etc.

Add on this that it will be 8-12h time difference, resulting jetlag which would cause you to have at least one day to adjust. At the end - going to US for 4 days with 5 old kid does not make any financial\economical sense. Everybody will be tired at the end, you won't get any satisfaction while spending good amount of money which will at the end cause bitterness and resentment.

If you want to enjoy and see US, put at least 2 weeks, not counting travel time.
Shiny Things likes this.
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #3141
Supremacy Member

One way time to fly to US will be minimum 18 hours and that's flight time only. Count that real time with connection is 24h.

If you have 7 days, you will spend minimum 2 days just on flying and expect to pay for that flights minimum $5000 for three people - that's in Economy, without using points/miles.

So, in other words you will be paying $1000/day to be in US just on flights, without any lodging, car, entertainment/shopping etc.

Add on this that it will be 8-12h time difference, resulting jetlag which would cause you to have at least one day to adjust. At the end - going to US for 4 days with 5 old kid does not make any financial\economical sense. Everybody will be tired at the end, you won't get any satisfaction while spending good amount of money which will at the end cause bitterness and resentment.

If you want to enjoy and see US, put at least 2 weeks, not counting travel time.
Oh haha..ok thanks. Cos I just went Japan 1 week so thought is sufficient for US too.
Anyway I'm looking at New York, any views whether it fits my requirement?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #3142
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh haha..ok thanks. Cos I just went Japan 1 week so thought is sufficient for US too.
The West Coast will be better for you and your kid. Disneyland, plenty of nature and shopping malls. A self drive is recommend to cover cities like LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yosemite etc.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #3143
Master Member

You think 1 week to see Japan is enough? Man... sometimes I envy the simplicity of some conclusions. Personally I wait until I have enough time/funds to spend 45 days in Japan exploring it via train.

To see US one must travel. Better by car, to experience it. But take a look at the map to understand distances you are going to be deal with.

The best US offers is nature and 80% of natural wonders are west of Continental Divide. I might be biased here, but it is till my opinion.

At the same time, most urban life, shopping and attractions are located on East side. However I still fail to understand people who from Singapore (or Tokyo, or Hong Kong) go to US and spend two weeks in New York. With the same success they could stay home.

Last edited by invisible999; 05-04-2016 at 04:24 PM..
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #3144
Supremacy Member

The West Coast will be better for you and your kid. Disneyland, plenty of nature and shopping malls. A self drive is recommend to cover cities like LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yosemite etc.
Ah ok...will look into it . Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #3145

Just putting out there...
Anyone got lobang for Hamilton tickets in July?
Without paying an arm or leg and kidneys...
2 weeks in NY is too long?
There so many things to explore in NY right?
Is Brooklyn a safe and fun place to stay especially Williamsburg side or Bushwick?
Cheers all.
seth07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #3146
Arch-Supremacy Member

Japan? U gone to Osaka, kyotoa, Tokyo, Fuji, hakone, Sapporo etc and u are done with Japan. U seen it all? It's sufficient?

Well ppl define sufficient differently, some do amazing race and felt it's all cool
Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #3147
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just putting out there...
Anyone got lobang for Hamilton tickets in July?
Without paying an arm or leg and kidneys...
2 weeks in NY is too long?
There so many things to explore in NY right?
Is Brooklyn a safe and fun place to stay especially Williamsburg side or Bushwick?
Cheers all.
New York? Yes big state. Finger lakes, niagara etc
NYC is a city, if you city lover not long

Last edited by patryn33; 05-04-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Old 06-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #3148

Hi bros, will be heading to CT for a week. thinking of heading NY for a day. likely to take the amtrack. hope to get some suggestions on what to do in 1 day. thanks.
KuKuBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #3149

Totally. The one thing to be careful of is that the road over the back of Yosemite to Death Valley isn't open all year - it can be closed as late as the first week of June. If it's closed, you're going to have to take the long way 'round through Bakersfield.

3 nights in Vegas is fine, but you wouldn't want to do more than that. Yes, the traffic in LA is terrible, and all the museums are over on the other side of the city from Anaheim - driving from Disneyland to LACMA is roughly the equivalent of driving from Changi to Woodlands via Jurong. Keep that in mind when you're planning your LA travels.

What are your dates? In Vegas you'll be able to do that easily, especially midweek - midweek you might even be able to get something fancy like the Vdara for that price, on weekends you'll want to look at the Monte Carlo or the Mandalay Bay.

In SF, yeah, you're going to have trouble. Let me know your dates and I'll have a look.

I was there last week: Monday was single-digits and chilly, Thursday was nearly 20 degrees Celsius and disgustingly humid, Saturday night and Sunday morning was a full-on blizzard. (I spent an hour on Sunday morning queuing for rush tickets to School of Rock, which incidentally is brilliant, and nearly froze even though I was wearing a shirt, a sweater and a heavy jacket.)

You're gonna need to pack for winter and summer, sorry to say.

You've missed a brilliant opportunity to rack up some hotel points - you're staying across three different chains there.

Well, theme parks on the east coast: you're pretty boned, especially this time of year. Your missus will have better luck; the east coast is full of historical sites, and nature (though you won't get a lot of nature in the middle of NY and DC, aside from Central Park).

Wow, don't take thousands of dollars in cash - carrying that much cash makes you a great target for muggers. Use a credit card instead.

Siyu, that goes for you too:

Always, always use a credit card. Taking thousands of dollars of cash is just dumb.
Change at People's Park. I changed mine at 0.5% commission a fortnight ago
bring cash just be careful and don't walk in shady area asking for trouble. its the same deal as going to Malaysia or Thailand. even in Singapore bring thousands of dollars and be at wrong place maybe asking for trouble money or no money if kena those desperate.

I have seen ppl carry alot of money.. esp those PRC and Indo, the African American too. with a little care and be aware of your surrounds one will be alright.

no theme parks in NYC.
but into rides can go
http://lunaparknyc.com/
https://www.darienlake.com/
Thanks bros for the tips on changing and keeping your usd safe. Just to share my friend also suggested opening a usd acc with a bank and directly deposit your usd into it, I heard that citi atm are quite common over in the us, is it true? Plus is there like transaction fee involved? since its already converted to usd initially

WantedRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #3150
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks bros for the tips on changing and keeping your usd safe. Just to share my friend also suggested opening a usd acc with a bank and directly deposit your usd into it, I heard that citi atm are quite common over in the us, is it true? Plus is there like transaction fee involved? since its already converted to usd initially
On citi bank atm not hard to search it on their atm locator site
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.