US help.

Like Tree340Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #4426
Supremacy Member

any recommendation for a place 1 person can stay for 3 nights in SF
im just gonna walk around shop eat, alcatraz, thats all
wait to receive my online shoppping LOL
Any of the hotels around Union Square should be fine, though some of them are a little bit bland and corporate. What's your budget and your dates? I can have a hunt and recommend some; there's everything around there from little places to the St Regis.

The best place, in my opinion, to stay in San Francisco is North Beach, it's close to Fisherman's Wharf, about a 15 min walk, and you can always get an Uber into Union Square.
Mmm... I'd disagree with this, just because North Beach is a pain in the ass to get to and from. Uber's going to take ages, and it's going to be horrifically expensive from the airport; my recommendation would be to stay in Union Square or the financial district, take BART to/from the airport, and just use Uber or walk when you want to get to North Beach for some kickass cioppino.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #4427

Any recommendations for New York? Am going there for 2019 count down. Help please.
berry&lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #4428

Any recommendations for New York? Am going there for 2019 count down. Help please.
In terms of hotels to stay in? Countdown is normally the busiest time of the year, as people are staying for both Christmas and new years. Last year, people a started queuing as early as 5am on Dec 31.

I was in New York over Christmas, and it was super busy, I can only imagine how busy new years would get.

I stayed in an Airbnb in Hell's Kitchen. It was 2 blocks from times Square. But there is more to New York City other than times Square.

If it is your first time in New York, then I'd recommend staying somewhere near times Square, on Manhattan Island. Get used to the surrounds, and you can check out the zoo while you're there.
Parmesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #4429

In terms of hotels to stay in? Countdown is normally the busiest time of the year, as people are staying for both Christmas and new years. Last year, people a started queuing as early as 5am on Dec 31.

I was in New York over Christmas, and it was super busy, I can only imagine how busy new years would get.

I stayed in an Airbnb in Hell's Kitchen. It was 2 blocks from times Square. But there is more to New York City other than times Square.

If it is your first time in New York, then I'd recommend staying somewhere near times Square, on Manhattan Island. Get used to the surrounds, and you can check out the zoo while you're there.
Thank you for your input Parmesean.

Yup, will be going there for the first time. Me and my friend will be checking out the Airbnb. And is there any nice food or restaurant that we can check out on?
Old 17-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #4430
Master Member

2 June to 6 June
Any of the hotels around Union Square should be fine, though some of them are a little bit bland and corporate. What's your budget and your dates? I can have a hunt and recommend some; there's everything around there from little places to the St Regis.

Mmm... I'd disagree with this, just because North Beach is a pain in the ass to get to and from. Uber's going to take ages, and it's going to be horrifically expensive from the airport; my recommendation would be to stay in Union Square or the financial district, take BART to/from the airport, and just use Uber or walk when you want to get to North Beach for some kickass cioppino.
Shinythings!!!

Actually I sort of decided to be near powel street station/ bloomingdale ... There's a gym I wanna go near there

But I am also itchy to try Clift .. maybe for 1 nigght only hahaha

Sent from Sony G8142 using GAGT
vofzxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #4431

Hi, I have around 4-5 days start and end Seattle in Aug. Thinking of getting a car to go around including a day hike at Mt Helen (already got the permit). Any interesting stops between Seattle, Portland and Mt Helen? Thanks.
belgarathc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #4432

Hi, I have around 4-5 days start and end Seattle in Aug. Thinking of getting a car to go around including a day hike at Mt Helen (already got the permit). Any interesting stops between Seattle, Portland and Mt Helen? Thanks.
If you are planning on staying in Seattle, I fully recommend the 11th Ave Inn. Stayed there in January, and it was the most amazing place you can stay in Seattle. It's a 5 min walk from the Capitol Hill Link Station, super convenient to get to, especially from Sea-Tac Airport. Breakfast is included in the cost, but the inn is always fully booked, so it is advisable to book in advance.

As for stops in Seattle, you should definitely check out the first Starbucks store at Pike Place, the pike place market, nearby the Starbucks store.If you get the chance, you might want to check out Orca Watching, as well as the Seattle Underground Tour.

Last edited by Parmesean; 18-04-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Old 18-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #4433

Thank you for your input Parmesean.

Yup, will be going there for the first time. Me and my friend will be checking out the Airbnb. And is there any nice food or restaurant that we can check out on?
If you are going to New York, you should definitely check out the Big Bus Tours there. Fully recommend it. Get the deluxe pass, and for 2 days, you can take the downtown, uptown and midtown tour, as well as get a pass to the Empire State Building, and a ferry tour around Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I believe it was $89, but super worth it in my opinion.

In terms on breakfast, there is a breakfast buffet place, Sbarros, on Broadway, super close to Times Square, really worth it, I believe it was $10 for all you can eat, with a selection of bacon, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, there was even cereal and fruit.

For other meals, check out Halal Guys, the New York Sausage from the street carts, Katz's Delicatessen .

A word of caution, if you plan to have a meal at a restaurant, head up to Harlem, don't go to any of the restaurants in Times Square as they force a 20% gratuity on your check.

Also, something you might want to look into is the subway tourist pass, you can get one from subway counters, just ask for the 1 week pass, it's super worth it as it is unlimited travel for $16.
berry&lemon likes this.
Old 18-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #4434

I like North Beach, and I do agree that it is a little far from the airport, but I was staying with a friend in her apartment, so......
Old 18-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #4435

Thanks Parmesean. Will look into your suggestions. Didn't know the first Starbucks store is from Seattle. I was checking car rental in Seattle at Expedia and the prices start from $11 per day. Is there some catch or is it really so cheap in US mainland? Comparatively, Alaska car rental is at least $70-80 per day.
belgarathc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #4436

If you are going to New York, you should definitely check out the Big Bus Tours there. Fully recommend it. Get the deluxe pass, and for 2 days, you can take the downtown, uptown and midtown tour, as well as get a pass to the Empire State Building, and a ferry tour around Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I believe it was $89, but super worth it in my opinion.

In terms on breakfast, there is a breakfast buffet place, Sbarros, on Broadway, super close to Times Square, really worth it, I believe it was $10 for all you can eat, with a selection of bacon, pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, there was even cereal and fruit.

For other meals, check out Halal Guys, the New York Sausage from the street carts, Katz's Delicatessen .

A word of caution, if you plan to have a meal at a restaurant, head up to Harlem, don't go to any of the restaurants in Times Square as they force a 20% gratuity on your check.

Also, something you might want to look into is the subway tourist pass, you can get one from subway counters, just ask for the 1 week pass, it's super worth it as it is unlimited travel for $16.

Woohoo... THANK YOU!!!!
Old 18-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #4437
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks Parmesean. Will look into your suggestions. Didn't know the first Starbucks store is from Seattle. I was checking car rental in Seattle at Expedia and the prices start from $11 per day. Is there some catch or is it really so cheap in US mainland? Comparatively, Alaska car rental is at least $70-80 per day.
U will find the 1st Starbuck there, fans can get some merchandise. Coffee nothing unique as they no longer roast coffee there.
10-15mins walk U find the 1st Starbucks highend Cafe, there they roast beans.
if U coffee lover.. skip that walk to Slumptown or victrola

at pike U can go for beecher cheese. Tacoma u can get some ROCA chocolates cheap (Brown & Haley factory there). I love the Fran's chocolates.
I used to go down to Seattle once a mth last year. where are u seeing $11? usually its ~us#30 a day. yes it is still cheaper than Alaska. U have to check if Alaska includes insurance. I cannot tell the sources U referring to.
patryn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #4438

I'm heading to NY in August and here is a brief outline of my itinerary

Fly into NY - stay for a few days (5 days)/ leave our luggage with our friend who is living there
Head to DC but stop at Philadelphia for a day trip on our way to DC
DC - 3 days
Return to NY - 3 days
Head up to Boston - 2 days
Boston to Toronto for Niagara Falls (i heard the view from Canada side is nicer)
Toronto back to Sin

Does anybody know if the station at Philadelphia have lockers to store our overnight bags? What is the best way to travel from one city to another. i am looking at the Amtrak trains - is it better to buy single ticket or buy a multi-ride tickets (caveat being can't be used for some routes)
rnanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #4439

I'm heading to NY in August and here is a brief outline of my itinerary

Fly into NY - stay for a few days (5 days)/ leave our luggage with our friend who is living there
Head to DC but stop at Philadelphia for a day trip on our way to DC
DC - 3 days
Return to NY - 3 days
Head up to Boston - 2 days
Boston to Toronto for Niagara Falls (i heard the view from Canada side is nicer)
Toronto back to Sin

Does anybody know if the station at Philadelphia have lockers to store our overnight bags? What is the best way to travel from one city to another. i am looking at the Amtrak trains - is it better to buy single ticket or buy a multi-ride tickets (caveat being can't be used for some routes)
One thing you have to take note is that Amtrak trains, although they allow you to take a bunch of luggage, I believe the limit is 2x70lbs bags, they take forever. This is due to Amtrak trains stopping at a single stop for an hour. You might want to consider flying, or taking a greyhound bus.
Old 22-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #4440

Hi i would like to check if anyone knows if airlines are strict on luggage dimensions? I’m looking to purchase a 28 inch luggage but seems like all airlines have the same 62 inch total or 158 Cm rule. An average 28 inch is already about 166 cm.

I have never had issues with luggage but since I will be getting a new one I just wanted to be sure. And usually all my domestic flights are booked on the same delta ticket, not this time.
neyimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.