HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US help.

Like Tree334Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

U are on H4?
wow, super long vacation... really make me curious what is his profession.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #32
Supremacy Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

Anyway, still deciding on whether to tour the east or west. More keen on the east side but I'm afraid when I go from 28-14apr(+- afew days), they wont have summer clothing in the stores?
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #33

U are on H4?
wow, super long vacation... really make me curious what is his profession.
yup...me on H4.
actually..his vacation periods are from mid Dec - end Feb and mid Jun - end Aug....and those are excluding his leave days. i'm sure you can guess what's the profession now...seeing that the periods coincide with the....SCHOOL VACATIONS! we'd usually go back to SGP during summer.
devilish_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #34

Anyway, still deciding on whether to tour the east or west. More keen on the east side but I'm afraid when I go from 28-14apr(+- afew days), they wont have summer clothing in the stores?
hmmm.....i think around mid-march you should start to see the spring fashion already. if you want very inexpensive summer clothing...you shld've visited in fall 'cos the prices are usually slashed like mad after the season.
Old 17-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

yup...me on H4.
actually..his vacation periods are from mid Dec - end Feb and mid Jun - end Aug....and those are excluding his leave days. i'm sure you can guess what's the profession now...seeing that the periods coincide with the....SCHOOL VACATIONS! we'd usually go back to SGP during summer.
sorry to digress TS
applying your greencard? with a Phd only 1 yr to get it approve!

@TS
spring clothing is still too warm for SG. just come out winter stuff are on sale!
Old 17-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #36

sorry to digress TS
applying your greencard? with a Phd only 1 yr to get it approve!
hmmmm....not so sure yet. i thot greencard takes more time? according to some other people, they've been telling us that it'd take at least 5+years? anyway....my spouse is a SPR....if get greencard...can still hold on to SPR? anyway...what are the benefits of getting a greencard? i haven't started reading up on the naturalization requirements/procedures.
Old 17-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #37

actually 'cos these days people tend to layer instead of put on SUPER thick winter clothings...you'd still be able to find regular tshirts/shirts/blouses/dresses and stuffs.

and anyway....SGP's malls/cinemas/lecture theatres are freezing cold these days....so you might find those lightweight hoodies, cardigans very useful back home.

and then of course you have the ALL SEASON items like bags, shoes and sunglasses......so i really don't think your shopping will be that badly affected by the season/weather.....be it on east or west coasts.
Old 17-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #38
Arch-Supremacy Member

hmmmm....not so sure yet. i thot greencard takes more time? according to some other people, they've been telling us that it'd take at least 5+years? anyway....my spouse is a SPR....if get greencard...can still hold on to SPR? anyway...what are the benefits of getting a greencard? i haven't started reading up on the naturalization requirements/procedures.
SPR - Singaporean PR?
U can hold on to SG PR even U get your greencard. it is not like U are becoming citizen.
US allow duo citizenship. SG do not allow duo citizenship.

who are the they?

depending on education level greencard can take very short time.
with a Phd (non PRC or Indian) usually takes 1yr+.
PRC or Indian takes longer still its like 2yrs.

those without US masters would required 5yrs of working experience and meet min salary requirement or bach and 10yrs of experience and min salary requirement. with that takes around 2yrs for non PRC or Indian. for them I heard ~5yrs.

others takes around 8-10yrs.

benefits of greencard, can claim social security when the time comes even U stay outside USA. can claim unemployment benefits if U are btw jobs. Can find job easily and demand higher $$, most companies today don't want to sponsor H1 so for one to find job most ppl ask for lesser money.
even on work VISA your spouse is paying social security tax and unemployment insurance. don't need VISA to come in and out of USA. H1 VISA only have 6yr limit.

issue is cost, paper work may cost US$4-5K but legal fees may cost US$4-20k depending on lawyer. company may get U to pay these fees.

Last edited by patryn33; 17-12-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Old 17-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

actually 'cos these days people tend to layer instead of put on SUPER thick winter clothings...you'd still be able to find regular tshirts/shirts/blouses/dresses and stuffs.

and anyway....SGP's malls/cinemas/lecture theatres are freezing cold these days....so you might find those lightweight hoodies, cardigans very useful back home.

and then of course you have the ALL SEASON items like bags, shoes and sunglasses......so i really don't think your shopping will be that badly affected by the season/weather.....be it on east or west coasts.
U are right, no one wear 1 layer. it would be super cold even it is super thick!
just that these regular stuff will not be on steep discount.

looking for US$30 timberland boots or < US$20 polo tee or shirts from RL will be hard.
don't mind paying more that would be fine.
Old 17-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #40

i think even at the regular outlet prices....might still be cheaper than in SGP....so most SGPoreans won't mind paying.

i don't shop much at the outlets...instead i shop a lot at TJMaxx and Marshall over my side....always can find cheap and good (branded) stuffs (i.e. clothings/shoes/bags/sunglasses/cooking utensils) regardless of season. and in my opinion....at much better prices than at the outlets.
Old 18-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #41

SPR - Singaporean PR?
U can hold on to SG PR even U get your greencard. it is not like U are becoming citizen.
US allow duo citizenship. SG do not allow duo citizenship.

who are the they?

depending on education level greencard can take very short time.
with a Phd (non PRC or Indian) usually takes 1yr+.
PRC or Indian takes longer still its like 2yrs.

those without US masters would required 5yrs of working experience and meet min salary requirement or bach and 10yrs of experience and min salary requirement. with that takes around 2yrs for non PRC or Indian. for them I heard ~5yrs.

others takes around 8-10yrs.

benefits of greencard, can claim social security when the time comes even U stay outside USA. can claim unemployment benefits if U are btw jobs. Can find job easily and demand higher $$, most companies today don't want to sponsor H1 so for one to find job most ppl ask for lesser money.
even on work VISA your spouse is paying social security tax and unemployment insurance. don't need VISA to come in and out of USA. H1 VISA only have 6yr limit.

issue is cost, paper work may cost US$4-5K but legal fees may cost US$4-20k depending on lawyer. company may get U to pay these fees.
thanks for all the info....very very very useful for us indeed! perhaps we really shld explore the option of getting a greencard if it's really so fast like what you've mentioned (we've been here for slightly over a year already).

right now, his employer is working on renewing his visa. they didn't mention that it could be easy for him to obtain a greencard. THEY = employer/colleagues (& indeed some of them are indian nationals). maybe they just want to avoid the hassles/costs for now....as renewing visa is prob easier and free for them.

that's actually quite alot of money to pay for a greencard based on your upper $ limit!!! is there an expiry too on the greencard?

yah...SPR is SGP PR.
Old 18-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #42
Supremacy Member

i think even at the regular outlet prices....might still be cheaper than in SGP....so most SGPoreans won't mind paying.

i don't shop much at the outlets...instead i shop a lot at TJMaxx and Marshall over my side....always can find cheap and good (branded) stuffs (i.e. clothings/shoes/bags/sunglasses/cooking utensils) regardless of season. and in my opinion....at much better prices than at the outlets.
Thanks Will find out more about those 2 stores after I do more detailed planning on the itinerary. (Those are in NY right?)

patryn33: Wah. $30 timberland boots. sounds good. those factory outlets will have this price o not? hehe.

Anyway I'll most likely be travelling from 29mar-14apr. Taking qatar airways possibly. Seems to be the cheapest at $1451. China Eastern is about $1301. But...I rather pay $150 more for better food, better service and a personal TV for IFE infront of you. Mmm.
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks Will find out more about those 2 stores after I do more detailed planning on the itinerary. (Those are in NY right?)

patryn33: Wah. $30 timberland boots. sounds good. those factory outlets will have this price o not? hehe.

Anyway I'll most likely be travelling from 29mar-14apr. Taking qatar airways possibly. Seems to be the cheapest at $1451. China Eastern is about $1301. But...I rather pay $150 more for better food, better service and a personal TV for IFE infront of you. Mmm.
those are outlet price when season is just over.
other wise outlet prices are usually ~US$50.

TJMaxx and Marshall in expensive residential area sells very good stuff.

Last edited by patryn33; 18-12-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Old 18-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks for all the info....very very very useful for us indeed! perhaps we really shld explore the option of getting a greencard if it's really so fast like what you've mentioned (we've been here for slightly over a year already).

right now, his employer is working on renewing his visa. they didn't mention that it could be easy for him to obtain a greencard. THEY = employer/colleagues (& indeed some of them are indian nationals). maybe they just want to avoid the hassles/costs for now....as renewing visa is prob easier and free for them.

that's actually quite alot of money to pay for a greencard based on your upper $ limit!!! is there an expiry too on the greencard?

yah...SPR is SGP PR.
renewing VISA?
H1B-1 VISA cannot apply for greencard, this VISA is for Singaporean can renew indefinately
only H1B is eligible and each VISA is for 3yrs, only can be renewed once.

renewal is cheaper, fees cost ~US$2.5k legal feels ~US$1-5K.

there is expiration on greencard, last for 5yrs and U have the option to become citizen. if u don't want to just keep it
Old 19-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #45

renewing VISA?
H1B-1 VISA cannot apply for greencard, this VISA is for Singaporean can renew indefinately
only H1B is eligible and each VISA is for 3yrs, only can be renewed once.

renewal is cheaper, fees cost ~US$2.5k legal feels ~US$1-5K.

there is expiration on greencard, last for 5yrs and U have the option to become citizen. if u don't want to just keep it
sorry to hijack the thread

my spouse is on H1B. his current one is only valid for 2.5yrs. employer is planning to renew it. employer is the state...so renewal is FOC.

i don't mind getting a greencard but i don't think i wanna become a citizen....yet.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.