HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US help.

Like Tree367Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #4591

And I'm an Aussie-born-and-bred citizen who lived in Singapore for a few years, then pulled the ejector seat and moved to the USA.
What makes you want to stick around a Singapore forum still!

For my itinerary, i made the pivotal decision to skip Yellowstone NP this time, and focus more on Glacier NP for a more relaxed vacation. The former doesn't have the cheap direct domestic flights which i was hoping for, unlike from Denver/Salt Lake City

1. Being that i the number of days i have is confirmed at 10, what other secondary must-do spots should i go as well? Or spend more days at GNP and enjoy the neighbouring towns?

2. Is there an airport on the eastern side of the park? Great Falls? i'd prefer not to drive through the park twice

Edit: Girlfriend would love Silverwood Theme Park!

Last edited by darklighter; 07-12-2018 at 05:41 PM..
darklighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #4592
Supremacy Member

What makes you want to stick around a Singapore forum still!
Mostly I hang out on Money Mind, but I like answering questions about the USA as well.

1. Being that i the number of days i have is confirmed at 10, what other secondary must-do spots should i go as well? Or spend more days at GNP and enjoy the neighbouring towns?
Spend some time in Seattle as well; itís great!

2. Is there an airport on the eastern side of the park? Great Falls? i'd prefer not to drive through the park twice
Alaska Airlines has reasonably-priced nonstops from GTF to Seattle.
darklighter likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #4593

Something like:
Day 1-3: Seattle
Day 4-6: fly to Jackson, rent a car, explore Grand Tetons National Park from Jackson;
Day 6-8: drive up to Yellowstone; explore Yellowstone National Park from a base in West Yellowstone or Gardiner (Gardiner would be my pick)
Day 8: drive the Beartooth Pass: Gardiner-Cooke City-Red Lodge
Day 9: drive to Billings, fly back to Seattle
No experiences with the rest but Jackson and Grand Tetons National Park are pretty good.

Usually we go to Factory Outlet to buy stuff as the main entertainment during business trip. But one of my trip is to the middle of no where in Wyoming (gas compression station). Two of us flew to Salt Lake City and US colleagues flew from Seattle to Salt Lake City. Then they drove us to the destination. We got half day before the real work so the US colleagues brought us to Jackson and then went to Grand Teton.

The drive from Salt Lake City to Wyoming was a nice experience as well. You may experience some discomfort because of altitude change. You do need to be an experienced driver and better to use a strong vehicle. Many containers are on the road so drive carefully.

Jackson is a nice place. Grand Teton is also pretty good. I guess two days will be really enough.

The experience to the gas compression station was even the first time for the two US colleagues from Seattle because you can not find the destination from Google map.

After the three day trip we went back to Salt Lake City but the comment from the young US engineer was “finally back to Civilisations”. He insisted to go to a French restaurant to celebrate.
Shiny Things likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-12-2018 at 09:52 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 10:47 PM   #4594
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, you can go through as a family, don't worry.

That said, immigration at LAX is a pain; LAX and Miami have been my worst immigration experiences in the States. If you ever have a choice, go in through SFO or Honolulu instead of LAX.
Just came back from US 2 weeks ago. Went in thru SFO. Wow, the immigration officer who is a latino girl is damn chio and friendly
aromilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #4595

Can anyone recommend a gd car rental with insurance included in LA as I donít think Avis dollar hertz include it ?

also do I need a car seat for child ages 6 yrs old in Los Angeles will be driving to San Diego etc ? Is it acceptable to bring those combi booster seat ? Or must be those full height child seat for 6 years to 7 years? Tks
bwaysaikryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #4596
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can anyone recommend a gd car rental with insurance included in LA as I donít think Avis dollar hertz include it ?

also do I need a car seat for child ages 6 yrs old in Los Angeles will be driving to San Diego etc ? Is it acceptable to bring those combi booster seat ? Or must be those full height child seat for 6 years to 7 years? Tks
I used Hertz. Includes insurances. In fact, all car rentals include basic insurance. U juz have to top up for zero excesses.
aromilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #4597

I used Hertz. Includes insurances. In fact, all car rentals include basic insurance. U juz have to top up for zero excesses.
Thanks then whatís the emphasis on some additional insurance most mention thatís a must? 0 excess type of insurance and 3rd party? Those are necessary Incase others knock u also so u donít have to pay a cent
bwaysaikryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #4598

Thanks then whatís the emphasis on some additional insurance most mention thatís a must? 0 excess type of insurance and 3rd party? Those are necessary Incase others knock u also so u donít have to pay a cent
They might offer an option for roadside assistance, eg, if you run a flat or if car just stops running, etc. Up to you if you think you know enough how to get help on your own.
hawkwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #4599
Arch-Supremacy Member

You can either take a 0 excess with the rental company, or buy a travel insurance that covers vehicle excess (normally 500-2k coverage). The advantage of 0 excess is that u don't have to file paperwork for claiming insurance
ceecookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #4600

West Coast '19

Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to the West Coast next year, from 19th to 27th October, for a Holiday and Pre-wedding photo shoot

Along the way, we would be visiting a friend in Houston, Texas.

I was just wondering what would be the best flight option/route in terms of time-savings.
We intend to arrive via SFO on 19th October (0925hrs) and leave either via LAX or IAH (Houston Airport) on the 27th October 2019 (night flight).

19-20 Oct: SFO (Drive)
21-23 Oct: LV (Drive)
24-25 Oct: LA (Drive)
26-27 Oct: Houston (Flight)

Given the above, leaving via LAX would mean taking return domestic flights from LV/LAX to IAH and leaving via IAH (Houston) would mean taking a one way flight to Houston from LV/LAX.

Layover time from Houston to SG is about 1.45hrs from SQ (Stop over at Manchester).

Thanks all!
Pseudomonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #4601
Supremacy Member

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to the West Coast next year, from 19th to 27th October, for a Holiday and Pre-wedding photo shoot

Along the way, we would be visiting a friend in Houston, Texas.

I was just wondering what would be the best flight option/route in terms of time-savings.
We intend to arrive via SFO on 19th October (0925hrs) and leave either via LAX or IAH (Houston Airport) on the 27th October 2019 (night flight).

19-20 Oct: SFO (Drive)
21-23 Oct: LV (Drive)
24-25 Oct: LA (Drive)
26-27 Oct: Houston (Flight)

Given the above, leaving via LAX would mean taking return domestic flights from LV/LAX to IAH and leaving via IAH (Houston) would mean taking a one way flight to Houston from LV/LAX.
Eight days is a VERY short trip; you're going to be spending most of your time travelling and recovering from jetlag.

My suggestion would be to ditch Vegas and LA. Just spend 4-5 days in SF, and 2-3 in Houston (there's really not a lot to do there). Fly in to SFO; fly to Houston; fly back home from IAH.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #4602

is taking Amtrak okay to explore states to states?

Cause both of us are have failing eyesight and concentration and likely to be a menace on the road.
iceblendedchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #4603

is taking Amtrak okay to explore states to states?

Cause both of us are have failing eyesight and concentration and likely to be a menace on the road.
Will have to mix part amtrak, part day tous, part subway/buses.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #4604

We will be driving from LA to Williams via route 66, any nice restaurant and places that is recommended? It will be a long hour drive but will still like to stopover to the town that should not be missed. Thanks.
cchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #4605

How’s the coverage in US on Starhub prepaid?

I used the prepaid from StarHub
cchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.