HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

US help.

Like Tree359Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #4636
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi. If I have ard 3 weeks to spend in USA in Dec, where would your recommend. First trip to USA and first long trip too.
Wanna experience cold? Do u drive?
Itís really a battle of the northeast vs Cali/Az
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #4637

Experience cold? Yes but not extreme as I do not have such gd winter wear. And I do not drive. I guess that itself is a great limitation. Oh yes, safety is important too.

Wanna experience cold? Do u drive?
It’s really a battle of the northeast vs Cali/Az
luckygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #4638

Hi all, I'm travelling alone to Seattle for a week in April for work, and extending 1 more week for leisure. This is my first time to US, and I want to make the most of it. Any recommendations where to go, other than exploring within Seattle?
Colleagues have been telling me to take a train to Vancouver or a short flight to Las Vegas.
I like scenery more than shopping, mountains more than buildings, and land more than sea. Driving ok but not preferred since I've never driven on the left before. I've been reading up on the past few pages of this thread and am leaning towards at least 2 nights in Seattle, Amtrak, then 3+ nights in Vancouver.

TIA!

Last edited by joshszz; 19-03-2019 at 11:14 PM..
joshszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #4639
Supremacy Member

Hi all, I'm travelling alone to Seattle for a week in April for work, and extending 1 more week for leisure. This is my first time to US, and I want to make the most of it. Any recommendations where to go, other than exploring within Seattle?
Colleagues have been telling me to take a train to Vancouver or a short flight to Las Vegas.
I like scenery more than shopping, mountains more than buildings, and land more than sea. Driving ok but not preferred since I've never driven on the left before. I've been reading up on the past few pages of this thread and am leaning towards at least 2 nights in Seattle, Amtrak, then 3+ nights in Vancouver.

TIA!
Oooh, so firstly, this is excellent info - we can give you some good recommendations. Vegas might actually be a really good idea, not for the nightlife, but because it's a great jumping-off point for some amazing scenery.

April is a great time to hit up some of the scenery too; it's still a bit too early to head up the mountains, but you can still hit some truly superb places, and the desert is a lot more manageable in April than it would be in June or July.

I'd say if you're willing to drive (and I promise you it's easy, Vegas isn't that hard to drive around and once you get on the interstate highways it's easy cruising. My parents are the wrong side of 70, and they're from Australia, and they were fine with it after half an hour):

* Spend a day in Vegas. Grab a bus tour out to Red Rock Canyon, and spend a half-day hiking out there to get used to the desert.

At this point, pick up a rental car, and you can choose: do you prefer mountains or deserts?

If you prefer mountains, head northeast on Interstate 15.
* You can drop in on the gorgeous Valley of Fire, and then keep going up to the cute little mountain town of Springdale, right at the foot of Zion National Park. Spend a couple days here and explore Zion.
* When you're done, head to the town of Page (which is a great jumping-off point for Antelope Canyon), then to Grand Canyon Village, then back to Vegas.
* If you can't get from Springdale to Page, because the roads are snowed in, ditch Page and head to the Grand Canyon via Vegas.

If you prefer deserts, head northwest on US highway 95:
* You can drop down into Death Valley, which is worth spending a night or two in;
* From there, you can drive out the west side of Death Valley and down to Barstow, on Interstate 15;
* At this point, if you have time, you can take a detour south to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park, or head back to Vegas via Mojave National Preserve.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #4640

Thank you so much! All great recommendations.. I'm gonna follow the mountains route. Made my bookings today.
Shiny Things likes this.
joshszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #4641
Arch-Supremacy Member

TIA!
Since u already booked enjoy USA!

Other options is head to Canadian Rockies but April tricky. For those going in May thatís a better option
http://banffandbeyond.com/pros-and-cons-of-banff-and-jasper-national-parks-in-the-shouder-season-of-april-and-may/
Old 20-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #4642
Arch-Supremacy Member

Experience cold? Yes but not extreme as I do not have such gd winter wear. And I do not drive. I guess that itself is a great limitation. Oh yes, safety is important too.
Cali, AZ, UT u will need to drive else u rely on Uber. Places of interest may need to do tour. Is that your thing?

If u want to take train and bus then stick to northeast and buy some winter clothing. Now is a good time to shop online and buy off season stuff cheap. Winter in dec is mild by Midwest standard, extreme comes in Jan/February

New York City, DC, Boston, philly and Montreal, old Quebec City can be done easily without a car. Done it myself when I was a student

Last edited by patryn33; 22-03-2019 at 03:31 AM..
Old 21-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #4643
Supremacy Member

Hi. If I have ard 3 weeks to spend in USA in Dec, where would your recommend. First trip to USA and first long trip too.
In December, definitely the West or the South (the midwest and northeast will suuuucccckkk).

Hawaii's a great starting point, and you've got domestic flights from there to Los Angeles (sucks, don't bother) or San Francisco (totally great, do it). You can use SF as a base to see Yosemite, and from there you can drive down to Joshua Tree, Pinnacles, and a bunch of other national parks on your way to Vegas.

Las Vegas itself is a great jumping-off point for the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park, as well as Death Valley (which should be good that time of year).

If you don't want to drive, you can fly, but you'll be ruling yourself out of a lot of great scenery.

Florida's also an option, but it's going to be a long schlep from Singapore. If you do that, then do Orlando if you must, but spend a few days in Miami and the Keys as well.
Old 22-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #4644
Master Member

I am planning for a NYC trip in end Nov to early Dec, i have about 14 days. How should I plan my road trip and is there any must go attractions in the area? Is 14 days too long to stay in NYC? I am considering to go to Washington, Miami beaches, Orlando, probably Canada for Niagara falls?
ralphlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #4645

Iím heading solo to nyc,dc,philly,boston first wk April for 2 weeks. Gonna Amtrak between them and take JetBlue from Boston to philly. Tshirt+fleece+windbreaker enough for the weather?
claudiusje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #4646
Master Member

Iím heading solo to nyc,dc,philly,boston first wk April for 2 weeks. Gonna Amtrak between them and take JetBlue from Boston to philly. Tshirt+fleece+windbreaker enough for the weather?
I had to use my down jacket when I was there in May. In April, the temperature is in the 10s įC. It depends on your cold tolerance. That's for NYC and DC. Boston was also cold in the morning (needed my down) when I was there in June. The year before, in April, there was snow in DC. It was still pretty cold in April in the year I went, and I postponed my trip to May and it was still cold!

Last edited by g_t2006; 22-03-2019 at 07:19 PM..
g_t2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 04:31 AM   #4647
Arch-Supremacy Member

Itís enough for me, you may have to check if it gets rainy. Spring showers.
This year feels warmer than last yr for me
Old 23-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #4648

Gonna be in New York/DC/Phi/Boston from late June to Mid July. How's the weather? Is it the same as Singapore?
MrConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #4649
Arch-Supremacy Member

Gonna be in New York/DC/Phi/Boston from late June to Mid July. How's the weather? Is it the same as Singapore?
Why the sad face? Itís pretty much same.
Too cold bad, same hot bad... rainy bad
Old 25-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #4650
Supremacy Member

I am planning for a NYC trip in end Nov to early Dec, i have about 14 days. How should I plan my road trip and is there any must go attractions in the area? Is 14 days too long to stay in NYC?
Yes. Oh god yes. I think four days is about right in NYC unless youíre a massive museum junkie.

I am considering to go to Washington, Miami beaches, Orlando, probably Canada for Niagara falls?
OK, thoughts...
1) Niagara Falls is a (long) day trip from NYC. You should do it that way.
2) Washington is worth a couple days at least, and you can catch the train from NYC to DC.
3) Then fly to Orlando
4) Then fly to Miami

Iíd personally skip Orlando unless youíre REALLY desperate to go to Disneyworld. Miamiís a lot more interesting (the Cuban district around Calle Ocho is a whole dayís worth by itself; I highly recommend one of the food-based walking tours), and you can drive from Miami down to Key West over the Overseas Highway, which is one of the top three or four driving roads in the USA.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.