Vietnam

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
i hope it will be cold in hanoi cause i prefer cold

yes i will be going up to sapa and fansipan and rong may glass bridge , what is the main transportation to get around in sapa? do grab service avaliable there?

so when i go fansipan in the coming sunday, the ground will be white with snow?

i will also be going halong bay cruise night and ninh binh day trip
Fansipan will be like cold palace. As Fansipan has many staircases to climb, be careful as it may be slippery. Cold is one thing, it is super windy at Fansipan and Halong Bay, i wouldn’t want to visit these places at this time of the Year.

get SIM card with VN number, that‘s the one with calls. Then install mai linh and vinasun apps. If grab and GoJek do not work, these 2 will.

Last edited:

Kunkka

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i hope it will be cold in hanoi cause i prefer cold

yes i will be going up to sapa and fansipan and rong may glass bridge , what is the main transportation to get around in sapa? do grab service avaliable there?

so when i go fansipan in the coming sunday, the ground will be white with snow?

i will also be going halong bay cruise night and ninh binh day trip
i did ninh binh day trip and halong cruise. recommend spending at least 3 days at ha long so u can go further out less crowded part of the bay

cryn79

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just came back from Danang and Hoi an today.
Thanks to all for sharing the tips, I did manage to enjoy my 1st trip there.
Summary:

Exchange rates
Yesterday, I went to Han market, the 4 gold smith shops I went to, were giving VND 17,030 or VND 17,040 ( Min SGD$100).

General Weather the last 4 days
Morning- cloudy / Afternoon - rain on and off / night- probably ard 9pm onwards start to rain.
530pm onwards- It starts to become very dark, the building neon lights would be illuminated.
The wind would start to become bitterly cold, you can see the locals wearing their winter wear as well.

Grab from hotel to Airport
After dropping me off at the departure hall, the driver had requested me to pay him VND 15K ( cash ) for the airport entrance fee. I thought the entrance fee is part of the grab fare. As I was in a rush, I just paid him the VND 15k.
Can I check did anyone experience the same? Thanks!

In addition, when I took a Grab from the airport to my hotel, the driver did not request me to pay the VND 15K. During the trip out of the airport, I did see the driver pay some money to a person at the airport car park exit.

Last edited:

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a 4GB/ day viettel data and call SIM card valid till 23 Jan, anyone wants to take over for $6? I can mail to you or meet at serangoon mrt.

Super fast and wide coverage
Card still available, anyone interested can pm me

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just came back from Danang and Hoi an today.
Thanks to all for sharing the tips, I did manage to enjoy my 1st trip there.
Summary:

Exchange rates
Yesterday, I went to Han market, the 4 gold smith shops I went to, were giving VND 17,030 or VND 17,040 ( Min SGD$100).

General Weather the last 4 days
Morning- cloudy / Afternoon - rain on and off / night- probably ard 9pm onwards start to rain.
530pm onwards- It starts to become very dark, the building neon lights would be illuminated.
The wind would start to become bitterly cold, you can see the locals wearing their winter wear as well.

Grab from hotel to Airport
After dropping me off at the departure hall, the driver had requested me to pay him VND 15K ( cash ) for the airport entrance fee. I thought the entrance fee is part of the grab fare. As I was in a rush, I just paid him the VND 15k.
Can I check did anyone experience the same? Thanks!

In addition, when I took a Grab from the airport to my hotel, the driver did not request me to pay the VND 15K. During the trip out of the airport, I did see the driver pay some money to a person at the airport car park exit.
No such thing as additional airport entrance fee.since you use grab, you can report him or airport security. This is common , parking fee, waiting fee etc. depends on whether you received good service, if driver helped you to carry luggage, take it as tip. I had tipped airport transfer driver up to 50k vnd before for waiting an hour due to flight delay. 15k less than sgd1.
in fact, for my last trip, I tipped the private tour driver 200k vnd for doubling up as the photographer for my family. That is about sgd11 for 5 hrs work or 18% of the price of the tour.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/d...g-off-japanese-tourists-in-hanoi-4555396.html

Last edited:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
What would be the recommended things to do in Hue? Seems like an old city with not much attraction except the Citidel
Quite but not fully correct. The imperial city is a replica of the one in Beijing. If you like palaces and tombs, Hue is for you. I enjoyed the food too. Hue is a lot quieter than HCM City or Hanoi.

cryn79

Reaction score
No such thing as additional airport entrance fee.since you use grab, you can report him or airport security. This is common , parking fee, waiting fee etc. depends on whether you received good service, if driver helped you to carry luggage, take it as tip. I had tipped airport transfer driver up to 50k vnd before for waiting an hour due to flight delay. 15k less than sgd1.
in fact, for my last trip, I tipped the private tour driver 200k vnd for doubling up as the photographer for my family. That is about sgd11 for 5 hrs work or 18% of the price of the tour.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/d...g-off-japanese-tourists-in-hanoi-4555396.html
Hi Paladin,
Thnks for yr opinion and experience.
I shall let it pass then. Thanks!

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as passing the Airport entrance fee to passengers. The driver sibei hiong.

if like that… grab driver sibei ho tan…
Send passenger to airport departure 15K…
Pick up another passenger at arrival 15K
Total 30K liao

if repeat this 2-3 times a day. wallet thick thick liao

camotorpedo

Reaction score
Hi, can someone advise what is the procedure to get a Grabcar at Ho Chi Minh City airport? I was reading that grabcar can no longer come to the terminal arrival and we need to walk to carpark to board?

Innocuous*

Reaction score
Hi, can someone advise what is the procedure to get a Grabcar at Ho Chi Minh City airport? I was reading that grabcar can no longer come to the terminal arrival and we need to walk to carpark to board?
I set my pick up location at the arrival side of the terminal and was approached by the grab driver to bring me to the carpark. I took my photo (with mask on) and sent it to the driver via Grab messaging. It worked for me at both Tan Son Nhat Airport and Phu Quoc Airport last month.

kiryu86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fansipan will be like cold palace. As Fansipan has many staircases to climb, be careful as it may be slippery. Cold is one thing, it is super windy at Fansipan and Halong Bay, i wouldn’t want to visit these places at this time of the Year.

get SIM card with VN number, that‘s the one with calls. Then install mai linh and vinasun apps. If grab and GoJek do not work, these 2 will.
oh no, but i got my data sim month ago from ICC, no phone number. can i still use the app?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.