HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vietnam

Like Tree790Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #11701

Viettel also had the most coverage in Vietnam

If you are going to multiple countries within a month...then getting the data passport is better

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
Ya I think so too. $27 to cover 3 days Batam, 3 days Malaysia and 7 days Vietnam more worth it (although I do have a permanent 500MB per month data plan for Malaysia).
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #11702
Master Member

Any food recommendations for Hanoi? I have 2 evenings there. Checked out Mdm Khoa after watching Gordon Ramsay but the reviews are disappointing.
Hanoi food culture
saffronsatire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #11703

Any food recommendations for Hanoi? I have 2 evenings there. Checked out Mdm Khoa after watching Gordon Ramsay but the reviews are disappointing.
Want something awsome, try " Bun Dau Mam Tom" - “smell like hell, taste like heaven” .
oniranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #11704

At TSN Airport, if take grab is about 100k, better to take at departure there than the arrival as some time too crowded there.
kenwong111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #11705

just change 1k of VND,
17100, a lot of zero, very confusing
Old 22-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #11706
High Supremacy Member

Drop the last three zeros and it will make your life alot easier hahaha

So in Vietnam.
59000 = 59
2547000 = 2547

kurtgoh likes this.
Henabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #11707
Master Member

You can use traveller's cheatsheet from oanda to help you
saffronsatire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #11708

Hi all, can you recommend a reputable motorcycle rental in HCM City please?

preferably one with well maintained bikes and don't need to retain our passport... don't need anything fanciful, just a small bike for commuting around the city.

Thanks in advance
camotorpedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #11709
High Supremacy Member

preferably one with well maintained bikes and don't need to retain our passport... don't need anything fanciful, just a small bike for commuting around the city.

Thanks in advance
Put high cash deposit. Usually around 100-200USD

These companies also need some form of insurance or security as well. In case the user don't return or lost

Sadly, these were all due to past irresponsible tourists who rent bike. Refuse to neither put down cash security nor put down passport.

Last edited by Henabi; 23-03-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Old 25-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #11710

Thanks in advance
It's a standard practice to put your passport as a collateral. Unless you are very familiar with the person who rent to you. Saw some fb posts, those ang mo rent and lost the bike due to theft, but refused to compensate. Instead, they ran away and go to another shop to rent. Then the same theft thing repeats.

You can ask your hotel if they can rent you. Usually they have spare bikes for rent.
grapewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #11711
High Supremacy Member

Not all hotels rent bikes. You need to check first.

So far in hcmc, I only know Cong Hoa minh tam hotel rent out bikes because they have a sizeable bike carpark at the back of the hotel.

In Vietnam, car theft and bike theft is very rampant even in big cities like HCMC and hanoi...

Pros just need as little as 5 to 10 secs to steal a regular bike or scooter like Honda or yamaha

If wanna rent bike or car in vietnam, always
1) park in proper car parks
2) park in places with parking valet services + security
Some of Those parking places with parking valet and security will purposely mark your car/bike with white chalk and then give you a number card. Don't lose that number card.
If you lose it, the security has the right not to let you take the car/bike away.

If you need to park temporarily at the roadside
1) always have someone on the vehicle
2) make sure it is within your sight and within reachable distance
3) purposely park your bike into tight spaces so that it's difficult for thieves to move your bike out and ride away

And rent an additional heavy duty cable lock to lock your bike overnight

Last edited by Henabi; 25-03-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Old 25-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #11712
Honorary Member

Just in case, my coy mobility team says its good to leave behind your name card, hotel name card etc in the trunk of your car or inside. Just in case u lose ur card. This is how u should do in your hotel or. Luggage if theres dispute.

But park at proper places lah.
Beta_Tester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #11713

It's a standard practice to put your passport as a collateral. Unless you are very familiar with the person who rent to you. Saw some fb posts, those ang mo rent and lost the bike due to theft, but refused to compensate. Instead, they ran away and go to another shop to rent. Then the same theft thing repeats.

You can ask your hotel if they can rent you. Usually they have spare bikes for rent.
Not all hotels rent bikes. You need to check first.

So far in hcmc, I only know Cong Hoa minh tam hotel rent out bikes because they have a sizeable bike carpark at the back of the hotel.

In Vietnam, car theft and bike theft is very rampant even in big cities like HCMC and hanoi...

Pros just need as little as 5 to 10 secs to steal a regular bike or scooter like Honda or yamaha

If wanna rent bike or car in vietnam, always
1) park in proper car parks
2) park in places with parking valet services + security
Some of Those parking places with parking valet and security will purposely mark your car/bike with white chalk and then give you a number card. Don't lose that number card.
If you lose it, the security has the right not to let you take the car/bike away.

If you need to park temporarily at the roadside
1) always have someone on the vehicle
2) make sure it is within your sight and within reachable distance
3) purposely park your bike into tight spaces so that it's difficult for thieves to move your bike out and ride away

And rent an additional heavy duty cable lock to lock your bike overnight

Thanks for the advice - noted and appreciate the security precautions

Would anyone have a recommended bike rental shop to suggest?
If leaving my passport as a collateral is the norm then I rather leave it with a reliable shop. Hopefully someone here has prior experience and can recommend a good one. Thanks
camotorpedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #11714

may i ask,
for klook tour, should i do it now or when i reach HCMC?

first time using this klook..
Old 25-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #11715
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice - noted and appreciate the security precautions

Would anyone have a recommended bike rental shop to suggest?
If leaving my passport as a collateral is the norm then I rather leave it with a reliable shop. Hopefully someone here has prior experience and can recommend a good one. Thanks
try to nego with them to leave cash deposit instead.

As you know, we are foreigners, Passport is like our ID abroad. And its crucial whenever you get stopped by the Vietnam Police.
in Many SEA countries, the local police people are still VERY traditional or "old school".

in their eyes, we are like Pots of Moving Gold Bars.... can chop chop chop for kopi money.

Make sure you have your Bike license as well and international motorbike insurance policy.

The last thing you want during your holiday is to waste 1-2 days in the local Police station

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/viet...-city-vietnam/
Go through the above list and choose one which you are most comfortable with

Last edited by Henabi; 25-03-2019 at 12:32 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.