HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vietnam

Like Tree828Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #12961

btw, when in vietnam, i actually carry a smartwatch with google maps to navigate to anywhere i wanna go on a bike.

it has been pretty handy..
I ride a bike to explore the city too.. to help in navigating i used my phone and switch on the Waze or Google map, use with my bluetooth earphones and let the voice navigation leads me to my destination. Sometimes may get confused by the directions, especially at round abouts. But generally still okay for riding on motor bike.
grapewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #12962
Zhi

Remember not to exchange dong at Changi airport. Better rates are available at HCM!!

E.g Exchange for SGD100, and you get around 1.5 million. You lose SGD10 at Singapore Changi Airport! In Vietnam, you can get 1.6 at least.

https://portal.vietcombank.com.vn/en...hannel=default

https://www.bidv.com.vn/en/ty-gia-ngoai-te

https://www.techcombank.com.vn/tools...reign-exchange

Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #12963
Master Member

you can't compare with local bank lah, compare with money changer which you could get 1.65
E.g Exchange for SGD100, and you get around 1.5 million. You lose SGD10 at Singapore Changi Airport! In Vietnam, you can get 1.6 at least.

rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #12964
High Supremacy Member

Wanna ask on Vietjet payment. I know that paying with Master/Visa/AMEX will incur a $14 charge. I noticed there is an option of paying through booking office. Under their service tab, i found a Singapore Booking Agent. Are both the same whereby i can pay thru them for the same ticket fee and without any booking fee?

If not, is there any way to bypass this additional fee?
Old 30-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #12965

but i feel that still better not to dependent on gadgets too much, especially around city or daily routes. so you can memorized the routes you often take.

i think ticwatch can be charged by powerbank?
for new routes especially, surely need the maps otherwise you will keep stopping to check maps anyway. at least for me.

for typical routes like d7 to d1 no need gps i also ok le, even though i used it at the beginning.

and yes should be able to charge by powerbank. usb port to the watch, but is magnetized connection to watch (not secure) so if you charge by powerbank and carry around, may not charge properly.
Old 30-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #12966

I ride a bike to explore the city too.. to help in navigating i used my phone and switch on the Waze or Google map, use with my bluetooth earphones and let the voice navigation leads me to my destination. Sometimes may get confused by the directions, especially at round abouts. But generally still okay for riding on motor bike.
yeah, my friend told me he does that too.

even with smartwatch, i don't look literally at the maps, but more of the notification tab where it counts down the metres to turn. so i face the same problem as you at roundabouts. sometimes count liao still end up wrong one.

btw i would think google maps in vietnam quite ok/reliable for city areas but not so much for other areas. bad experience when using google maps and riding when i was in dalat. really bring me to completely wrong place a few times.
Old 30-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #12967

wah piang these days still got people (especially us kiasu sinkies) change money at airport one meh? we all know these bank rates damn bad one leh. have to go money changers mah. if you were to compare local singapore money changer vs vietnam money changer, i don't think the rates differ that much.
Old 30-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #12968
High Supremacy Member

yeah, my friend told me he does that too.

even with smartwatch, i don't look literally at the maps, but more of the notification tab where it counts down the metres to turn. so i face the same problem as you at roundabouts. sometimes count liao still end up wrong one.

btw i would think google maps in vietnam quite ok/reliable for city areas but not so much for other areas. bad experience when using google maps and riding when i was in dalat. really bring me to completely wrong place a few times.
Da lat has too many "off roads"

Still can ride but need to use "agar-rey-sion"

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #12969

Da lat has too many "off roads"

Still can ride but need to use "agar-rey-sion"

google maps made me trespass a restricted area in dalat lol
Old 30-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #12970
Supremacy Member

Wanna ask on Vietjet payment. I know that paying with Master/Visa/AMEX will incur a $14 charge. I noticed there is an option of paying through booking office. Under their service tab, i found a Singapore Booking Agent. Are both the same whereby i can pay thru them for the same ticket fee and without any booking fee?

If not, is there any way to bypass this additional fee?
Not sure about the payment.
But my piece of advise, not to take vietjet.
Vietjet are infested with those kampong aunty in tour groups. is noisy.
Old 30-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #12971

I agree. Try not to take Viet jet. I took only once and already put off. The terminal 4 at changi for Viet jet is strict on the hand luggage weight and the check itself. Then the flight is delayed by 2 hours, which i believed is the slow take off from vietnam side. You know how bo chup they are on punctuality. Then at hcm airport, no aero bridge. Still have to get down and take a bus to the terminal. The worst is on my return flight, the system allowed me to do online check in and even issued me a seat, only to deny me at the immigration that this is not check in! Wtf!
grapewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #12972
High Supremacy Member

Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #12973
High Supremacy Member

Even from SG-Hanoi and vice versa? But no other airlines are close to vietjet at $227 w/o luggage le. Asking for a fren who missed the sale i got but wanna join me.

I agree. Try not to take Viet jet. I took only once and already put off. The terminal 4 at changi for Viet jet is strict on the hand luggage weight and the check itself. Then the flight is delayed by 2 hours, which i believed is the slow take off from vietnam side. You know how bo chup they are on punctuality. Then at hcm airport, no aero bridge. Still have to get down and take a bus to the terminal. The worst is on my return flight, the system allowed me to do online check in and even issued me a seat, only to deny me at the immigration that this is not check in! Wtf!
Wow, that is bad. Since im taking SIA, i was thinking of letting my fren check in his small lugagge with me for to and fro. But im not sure of flight conditions at hanoi airport side though.
Old 30-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #12974
Master Member

1st travelling solo to HCM next month. Is it raining season there? Travelling on 2nd week of Oct. anything to eat and buy? How much normally u all spend a day there for foods and transport? Can I use Grab with SG acc?

Last edited by IronMan123; 30-09-2019 at 02:14 PM..
IronMan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #12975

i agree too. my first time taking vietjet from hcm to hanoi and straight away receive email to tell me my flight delayed few hours. i was gonna meet my parents there (they fly from singapore) and end up they had to wait for me a long time.

seems to me they don't care about flight punctuality at all.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.