HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vietnam

Like Tree828Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #13471
Arch-Supremacy Member

Had this for dinner and though it stinks real bad but tasty with the food.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT
song dahs! very stanky and definitely an acquired taste so even some locals cannot stand it. but i have grown to like it

Pizza 4Ps had a limited time special bun dau mam tom pizza late last year which was fantastic, dont know if its still available
Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #13472
Master Member

planning to go vietnam this year. it will be be my first time there.

dunno where to start researching, so any recommendation to get me started? like which city to visit, when to visit, what to be careful of and what are the must-try?

we look forward to things like local delicacies, sceneries and local markets

NOT so much into upscale shopping malls, museums, temples
Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #13473
High Supremacy Member

You plannkng to go which city?
Hanoi? Danang? Ho chi Minh?

How many days?
You wanna backpack or stay normal hotels?

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #13474
Master Member

You plannkng to go which city?
Hanoi? Danang? Ho chi Minh?

How many days?
You wanna backpack or stay normal hotels?

was hoping for recommendation on the city.

Maybe for 7 days and normal hotels.
Old 13-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #13475
High Supremacy Member

was hoping for recommendation on the city.

Maybe for 7 days and normal hotels.
You can try Hue - Danang - Hoi An

Feb to April best period to visit

TabascoSauce likes this.
Old 13-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #13476

Its worst than our 虾酱....

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT
the taste still quite acceptable to me...

in fact some fish sauce taste even worse. just yesterday i at home, had a bit of fish sauce drip on table, after that use cloth wipe already the whole table smell like fish sauce. sibeh gao lat.
Old 13-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #13477

I had this during my trip.

Quite a unique experience and it was my first time having Dill. Worth to try once and the restaurant had a fair mix of foreigners and locals.
it's not cheap though... haha

but the fish they use is really quite good. nice to go with beer on a cold day.
Old 13-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #13478

planning to go vietnam this year. it will be be my first time there.

dunno where to start researching, so any recommendation to get me started? like which city to visit, when to visit, what to be careful of and what are the must-try?

we look forward to things like local delicacies, sceneries and local markets

NOT so much into upscale shopping malls, museums, temples
If u like cities, can start with HCM, but you probably just need 3 days or 5 days at most for a very relaxed schedule. Unless you adventurous enough to spice it up by going nearby cities such as Vung Tau (3 hours) or Da Lat (6-8 hours). Vung Tau is more like beach kind, Da Lat is more like Malaysia's Cameron Highlands.

If you fond of cultural or historical stuff, you can choose to go Hanoi and mix it up with some hiking adventure at Sapa.

Danang, Hoi An, Hue combo is a good mix i guess, I can't say much cos I haven't been there myself. So I think for that many days, it's best to go with Henabi's recommendation.

What you should really be careful of: pickpockets and snatch thieves. Don't use your phone while walking. If you need to, stop and use it at a corner where you're covered. Another thing is, don't board random cars at airport that offer to bring you to your destination. Get Vinasun/Mailinh or call Grabcar. Those random cars may offer you a cheap price, but especially if you are unfamiliar with the currency notes, they will take advantage and snatch the money out of your wallet and take whatever amount and say it's enough for the car ride.

For must-trys, I'm sure you can search online (example Mark Wiens or Best Ever Food Review Show) to get started on the food that Vietnam has to offer. Too many types of food to go through everything...haha.
TabascoSauce likes this.
Old 13-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #13479
Supremacy Member

HDL opening soon at D7 crescent mall.

Sent from Food, Travel, Sleep And Repeat using GAGT
fortunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #13480
Master Member

If u like cities, can start with HCM, but you probably just need 3 days or 5 days at most for a very relaxed schedule. Unless you adventurous enough to spice it up by going nearby cities such as Vung Tau (3 hours) or Da Lat (6-8 hours). Vung Tau is more like beach kind, Da Lat is more like Malaysia's Cameron Highlands.

If you fond of cultural or historical stuff, you can choose to go Hanoi and mix it up with some hiking adventure at Sapa.

Danang, Hoi An, Hue combo is a good mix i guess, I can't say much cos I haven't been there myself. So I think for that many days, it's best to go with Henabi's recommendation.

What you should really be careful of: pickpockets and snatch thieves. Don't use your phone while walking. If you need to, stop and use it at a corner where you're covered. Another thing is, don't board random cars at airport that offer to bring you to your destination. Get Vinasun/Mailinh or call Grabcar. Those random cars may offer you a cheap price, but especially if you are unfamiliar with the currency notes, they will take advantage and snatch the money out of your wallet and take whatever amount and say it's enough for the car ride.

For must-trys, I'm sure you can search online (example Mark Wiens or Best Ever Food Review Show) to get started on the food that Vietnam has to offer. Too many types of food to go through everything...haha.
thanks for the suggestions and advises. Henabi too
Old 14-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #13481
High Supremacy Member

Another suggestion for airport transfer to hotel, is to get it from the airport arrival halls.

For Hcmc, usually I get SongViet. To District 1, it is around 200K vnd ($12 sgd) as the airport is very near to the city. You wanna use Grab also can, it is usually between 100k to 130K (depend on surge)
I think fortune can advise on the Airport buses from Hcmc airport, I nv taken those before

For Hanoi... the airport is almost 1 hour away from the city, I wont recommend airport transfer, cuz it's extremely ex. Around 600K vnd.
You can consider Grab or the Airport TAXI. Which should be 250K to 300K

For Danang... Usually I use Grab or the VINASUN taxi app

Old 14-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #13482
Arch-Supremacy Member

HDL opening soon at D7 crescent mall.

Sent from Food, Travel, Sleep And Repeat using GAGT
Wa nice, my favourite mall, time to go
Old 14-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #13483
Arch-Supremacy Member

Another suggestion for airport transfer to hotel, is to get it from the airport arrival halls.

For Hcmc, usually I get SongViet. To District 1, it is around 200K vnd ($12 sgd) as the airport is very near to the city. You wanna use Grab also can, it is usually between 100k to 130K (depend on surge)
I think fortune can advise on the Airport buses from Hcmc airport, I nv taken those before

For Hanoi... the airport is almost 1 hour away from the city, I wont recommend airport transfer, cuz it's extremely ex. Around 600K vnd.
You can consider Grab or the Airport TAXI. Which should be 250K to 300K

For Danang... Usually I use Grab or the VINASUN taxi app

One problem with grab from Hanoi airport is that the car that comes is different from the car assigned in grab. In fact grab will have the pop up alert say don’t take if number plate is diff.

The driver will come up with some cock excuse, but I always just take it anyway.

How do u guys deal with it?
Old 14-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #13484
High Supremacy Member

I will just cancel and give the reason that it is wrong car plate number

Old 14-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #13485
Master Member

Just changed VND from Arcade at Raffles Place and the person gave me all in 500k notes. As there was a queue behind I didn't really ask if I could change to smaller notes.

Is is possible to ask for currency exchangers to help me break into smaller notes? Or is it better to do it in Vietnam. I scared 500k notes the Vietnamese annoyed haha.
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.