HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vietnam

Like Tree828Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #13561

I also have rumors that some northern Vietnam smaller towns and villages which are along the Vn-china borders become mini China quarantine areas...

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT
idk if it is true or just fear spreading. but i did see a video of tons of people stuck at the border and cannot enter vn.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #13562
Supremacy Member

Don't bring ur virus to vietnam...
Dont need me brong ah tiong already bring

cannot like that say leh.. obviously his wife is vietnamese...
My family are there not just my wife
Old 11-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #13563
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll be heading over to hcm this wkend -

1. Haven't booked a hotel yet, I'm looking at between D1 to D3. Most likely I'll go there and look see in person b4 I settle on a hotel, what's the rough market rate for a decent hotel (inclusive of WiFi, a decent hotel breakfast is a bonus lol)

2. Can I pay everything by viet dong? Inclusive of hotel stay? Is sgd250 daily enough for R and R + Hotel charges? I won't be going for happy endings so I won't be spending on it. Most likely I'm just spending on transport / grab, makan, drinks etc.

3. Haven't exchange currency yet, best / recommended places to change? I randomly went into a fx shop in lucky plaza tdy - Sgd100 - 16,200vd

Sent from A New Hope using GAGT
Yuripa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #13564

1. Haven't booked a hotel yet, I'm looking at between D1 to D3. Most likely I'll go there and look see in person b4 I settle on a hotel, what's the rough market rate for a decent hotel (inclusive of WiFi, a decent hotel breakfast is a bonus lol)

2. Can I pay everything by viet dong? Inclusive of hotel stay? Is sgd250 daily enough for R and R + Hotel charges? I won't be going for happy endings so I won't be spending on it. Most likely I'm just spending on transport / grab, makan, drinks etc.

3. Haven't exchange currency yet, best / recommended places to change? I randomly went into a fx shop in lucky plaza tdy - Sgd100 - 16,200vd

I'm also heading there this weekend. To answer your queries,

1. I stay in cheap guest house in backpackers street. Costs 400k vnd. A decent hotel should cost 700 or 800k vnd.
2. Pay everything by vnd. $150 sgd per day will be more than enough. Mostly spend on hotel.
3. Change a bit at hcm airport and change the rest in D1 gold shop for best rate.
grapewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #13565

1. I don't know the prices, but some hotels that are decent from what i know are: Bay Hotel, A&EM, Asian Ruby, Silverland. You can check out the prices online.

2. Yes you can pay everything by VND no problem, 250SGD seems like a lot but it really depend on what hotel you staying since it is the bulk of the cost. Ofc also depends on what is ur makan and drinks budget. Why not you book hotel and pay online? Seems like the better option rather than carrying more cash. In that case then you just need around 50SGD/day IMO. More if you are splurging. I'll advise budgeting 50SGD/day and bring more SGD just in case.

3. Rates are pretty bad now. Even for online transfer services where the rates are near FX are like 1:16,700 now. Usual rates can be like 16,900-17,100. Not sure where to change in Singapore but in HCM usually people go near Ben Thanh gold shops or the currency exchange I shared before:

Old 12-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #13566

1. I stay in cheap guest house in backpackers street. Costs 400k vnd. A decent hotel should cost 700 or 800k vnd.
2. Pay everything by vnd. $150 sgd per day will be more than enough. Mostly spend on hotel.
3. Change a bit at hcm airport and change the rest in D1 gold shop for best rate.
the last time I wanted to change at airport the rates were so bad though, like 16,000? I immediately just walked off. But I have heard other people changing at airport with decent rates so I'm not too sure. I approached the one right after chop passport.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #13567

the last time I wanted to change at airport the rates were so bad though, like 16,000? I immediately just walked off. But I have heard other people changing at airport with decent rates so I'm not too sure. I approached the one right after chop passport.
You can always bargain with them. But i don't remember that low rates. Anyway don't change too much there. Also watch out for their fast fingers.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #13568
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. I don't know the prices, but some hotels that are decent from what i know are: Bay Hotel, A&EM, Asian Ruby, Silverland. You can check out the prices online.

2. Yes you can pay everything by VND no problem, 250SGD seems like a lot but it really depend on what hotel you staying since it is the bulk of the cost. Ofc also depends on what is ur makan and drinks budget. Why not you book hotel and pay online? Seems like the better option rather than carrying more cash. In that case then you just need around 50SGD/day IMO. More if you are splurging. I'll advise budgeting 50SGD/day and bring more SGD just in case.

3. Rates are pretty bad now. Even for online transfer services where the rates are near FX are like 1:16,700 now. Usual rates can be like 16,900-17,100. Not sure where to change in Singapore but in HCM usually people go near Ben Thanh gold shops or the currency exchange I shared before:

Wah, thank you guys for the pointers..!

Most likely, I change just a bit in Sg and change again when I'm there.

Really appreciate all your replies

Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #13569

Wah, thank you guys for the pointers..!

Most likely, I change just a bit in Sg and change again when I'm there.

Really appreciate all your replies

No problem. Word of caution, don't use your phone by the road. And don't let anyone touch your pile of vnd notes. Vnd notes have lots of zeros, don't get confused.
Old 13-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #13570

No problem. Word of caution, don't use your phone by the road. And don't let anyone touch your pile of vnd notes. Vnd notes have lots of zeros, don't get confused.
Yes... Very appropriate advice. Many phones got snatched when using while walking along the road.

And also the people approaching at the airport asking if you need transport, DO NOT board any of them. When bringing you to your destination, they will snatch your money especially if they can tell you are a first timer to Vietnam and not very familiar with their currency notes. Always just choose Vinasun and Mailinh taxi. Out of airport got a small charge of 10k VND I think.

I remember there was once I was smoking at the arrival area while I saw these people approaching others and I just stared at one of these guys. He slowly started getting suspicious, maybe thought I was an plainclothes officer or something. After that he wandered near me, and mumbled asking if I need a taxi in Vietnamese and I just subtly shook my head. Quite funny. He was being rather wary and kept looking at me the whole time.
Old 13-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #13571

Second above post. The law is very harsh on major crime but there is still petty crime going around like snatch theft and scams (eg sleight of hand, overcharging).
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #13572
Arch-Supremacy Member

1 more noob question - For my mobile phone charger..

Is it the same as Singapore?

As in - is the wall socket in HCMC 3-pin plug too?

Do I need to bring any convertor of sorts?

Old 13-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #13573
High Supremacy Member

1 more noob question - For my mobile phone charger..

Is it the same as Singapore?

As in - is the wall socket in HCMC 3-pin plug too?

Do I need to bring any convertor of sorts?

Henabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #13574
Arch-Supremacy Member

Heng I asked.

Managed to get them.

Thx again!!

Old 14-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #13575
Master Member

actually u could just simply google
https://blog.inspitrip.com/1760/vietnam-power-plug-and-voltage/
Heng I asked.

Managed to get them.

Thx again!!

rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.