Who has been to South Africa?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Let me try to address several points here, feel free to ask if something is not clear:

Kruger
You basically need to determine if you want to stay inside the park, or outside the park. For inside the park/camp staying you need to decide where/which camp you stay, select appropriate lodging option and book your accommodation as early as possible on Kruger web site, because they run out quickly. You also need to take an account time when you arrive at Kruger. Now SQ lands at JNB at 6AM, so even if you drive from JNB, you should have no problem arriving at noon.

We stayed outside of the park for both costs and activities reasons. In addition to Kruger we went on number of other activities - microlight flight and driving up and down Panorama Route. If you are staying inside the park, while doing outside activities are possible, you wasting on paid park fees ($100 per day) and paying for the accommodation which is more expensive.

So you need to decide what would go in your ITIN and draw the plan accordingly - if you do only Kruger, than staying inside makes more sense and you should not be worried about entrance times, paying for day visit - all this is included and paid when you book your accommodation at Kruger website.

However, if you stay outside, you need to pay for your Day Visit on Kruger website and have that receipt and indemnify forms printed and filled. How much you will wait to get into the park entirely depends on time of the year (if it is school holidays - obviously more busy), time you arrive at the gate and the gate itself.

Generally, the following rule is true: if you are staying outside of the park, you need to arrive at the entrance gate 15 min before gate opens. That means, for example in summer time you need to be there at 5:15AM. So you need to plan to going to bed/wake up/driving accordingly.

We arrived at 6AM one day and there was 1.5h wait for those who did not bother to pay for their day visit in advance. Even with prepaid option which allowed us to skip the line entirely, it was still 15-30min wait until we allowed to enter. That's was at Crocodile Bridge, so other gates might have different situation.

As far as game drive goes - while you can see animals during while day, during hot time/summer best time is either early in the morning or early afternoon. So if you start your drive at 8AM you might get quite disappointed. And if you start 5AM, probably after your have your lunch, you will be tired to the point that want to go and rest. If you stay outside of the park, going in and out twice a day for drives I would not consider feasible. Staying inside the park gives you more options.

Here is my observations after day visits

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1939176-recommendation-kruger-np-day-visit.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Show..._timer_observations-Kruger_National_Park.html

Garden Route and logistics
You also need to take into account second part of the trip - how you get to the starting point of your Garden Route. That's why I picked up flights (note -separate tickets) MQP-JNB on Airlink and JNB-PLZ on Mango. We arrived at PLZ at 1PM which gate us plenty of time driving to Plettenberg Bay with stops and walks around.

You need to decide on your route. Will you do only the section I mentioned, or want to continue inlands as well? What are your interests and what you and family members want to see? Are your family members ok moving from place to place every 2 nights or they prefer to stay in one place several nights and go for trips and come back? This will determine where you are going to stay and for how long.

Here is my trip report post at FT. Does not have photos, but I tried to include as much links/information as it was possible/relevant:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tri...s-south-africa-kruger-garden-wine-routes.html

NOTE: if you are taking kid, make sure that you take with you original birth certificate for him/her otherwise you won't be allowed to board.

Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
About early start of game drives at Kruger. This photo was taken (with slight modifications/conversions) around 7AM close alongside S28/S137 road. So early start with game drives is essential

KR_girrafes.jpg

klavier

Reaction score
Thank you.
Since my plan is just to visit KNP, it would make more sense for me to find a suitable accommodation within the park for this trip to minimise waiting time. Total 4 x game drives would be sufficient for me.

Re Garden route, I would prefer to stay nearer to the coast and hopefully spend at least 2-3 nights at each accommodation, i.e. maximum 2 different accommodation during the 5-6 day drive. Will have to do more research on the exact towns to visit.

Trip will end at CPT. 4 nights here would be plenty I believe. Wife would definitely ask to do some shopping so hopefully there is still some interesting places for her favourite activity.

P.S. Thank you for telling me about the original birth certificate. I am not aware of this requirement.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Since my plan is just to visit KNP, it would make more sense for me to find a suitable accommodation within the park for this trip to minimise waiting time. Total 4 x game drives would be sufficient for me.

Start looking for accommodation from here:
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/tourism/tariffs.php

Complete list of all accomodiation
https://www.sanparks.org/docs/tourism_tariffs/tariff_2018_19.pdf?time=1547105287

Prepare that you will need to pay starting from $180 per night if you stay st Lower Sabie, Skukuza or Berg-en-Dal (would not recommend Crocodile Bridge because it is next to the entrance and always busy) and need to select bungalows/cottages which have >2 beds because they won't allow three of you to stay at 2 bed lodging.

Add on lodging prices park entry fees and conservations fees and you are looking for starting from $250-$300 per day on lodging and fees when you stay inside the park.

For game drives, in addition to the self drive I suggest to book one Sunset or Sunrise drive.

Re Garden route, I would prefer to stay nearer to the coast and hopefully spend at least 2-3 nights at each accommodation, i.e. maximum 2 different accommodation during the 5-6 day drive. Will have to do more research on the exact towns to visit.

Plett/Knysna are the real options then. If you decide to stay inlands, try Swellendam/Montagu - you can take river kayaking, river cruise and drive at mountain passes.

Trip will end at CPT. 4 nights here would be plenty I believe. Wife would definitely ask to do some shopping so hopefully there is still some interesting places for her favourite activity.
My wife found plenty of small shopping places at Plett and Simon's town.

For Cape Town, unless you want to stay at Camps Bay and other prestigious places, you might want to look at Hout Bay, Fishhoek or Simon's Town.

One note about Cape Peninsula (cape of good hope) park - you need to be at the park entrance no later than 9AM. Our hostess warned us about this - we saw that people who arrived there around noon had to wait in line 1.5-2h before even were allowed to enter to the park.

In general, for South Africa following rule applies - start your day early in the morning and finish/go to bed early (by 10PM max) as well.

P.S. Thank you for telling me about the original birth certificate. I am not aware of this requirement.
There are plenty of horror stories of families who were not allowed to board and have their vacation ruined.

In terms of planning I would suggest to create questionnaire with all possible questions coming to your (and family members) mind and have them answered by yourself or asking questions at TripAdvisor/Kruger forums. Also having a folder with different categories - documents, activities, lodging, etc helps in planning as well.

Last edited:

klavier

Reaction score
Thank you invisible999.
I am just fine tuning my rough plan and figuring out the best dates before I book my tickets. The website to book KNP accommodations seems rather unfriendly and it is difficult to figure out availability dates.
Looks like I might have to switch camp for the 3 nights at KNP as accommodation seems limited.. .

Will target to book my flight and KNP accommodations next Monday!

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Back from the trip! Here's my itinerary for reference..

Day 1-4 Zimbabwe and Zambia
Victoria Falls (Prefer ZBW side definitely)
Royal livingstone - see zebras and giraffes
Sunset Cruise
Cheetah Walk

Day 4-8 Safari
Sabi Sands (Elephant Plains) - did game drive, bush walk, campfire dinner
KNP (Skukuza & Lower Sabie) - did game drive, bush braai

Day 9-14 Cape Town
Day 9
Polkadraai Strawberry Farm
Uva Mira Mountain Vineyards
Gordon’s Bay

Day 10
Signal Hill Sunrise
Delaire Graff Estate
Table Mountain Cable Sunset (really, really, do it once you have the opportunity of good weather)

Day 11
Muizenberg Beach
Boulders Beach
Cape of Good Hope
Chapmans Peak Drive (recommended to do at sunset)

Day 12
Old biscuit Mill
Hout Bay Market
Hout Bay Harbour
Camps Bay Beach
Bo Kaap
V&A Waterfront

Day 13
Truth Coffee Roasting
Access Park
Foxcroft Restaurant
Groot Constantia
Canal Walk Mall

Day 14
Souvenir / rooibos tea shopping
Brunch at Hemelhuijs

Stayed at an airbnb at Rondebosch area. It's a condo unit beside the university, with electronic gate access and security guard. View of table mountain. Pretty decent place. and just 10-15mins drive to the city.

Last edited:

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Thank you invisible999.
I am just fine tuning my rough plan and figuring out the best dates before I book my tickets. The website to book KNP accommodations seems rather unfriendly and it is difficult to figure out availability dates.
Looks like I might have to switch camp for the 3 nights at KNP as accommodation seems limited.. .

Try searching 'by particular date' (and set the earliest day you will arrive) and you can see availability of all accoms from that date onwards for ~2weeks.

Availability tend to fluctuate drastically 1-5weeks before the actual day - not sure why, ppl make last min changes?? Understand from Sanpark forum that you'd probably be able to get the camp location or room type you want nearer to date.

I booked tent n hut initially (as everything else were sold out when I was making reservation 3 months prior to travel period). 2-3 weeks prior to travel date, I managed to change rest camps (did by phone call for this) and also upgrade the accom type (did through the website) many many times lol - as soon as a better accom type becomes avail, i change it. Managed to stay in the river view luxury bungalows in the end.

So, just keep monitoring the availability site if you can't get your ideal accom at this point of time.

Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

I would suggest to register on that website's forum section and ask your question there and read some sticky topics. People there are very friendly and willing to help.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Back from the trip! Here's my itinerary for reference..

Well done. My I ask impolite question - how much did it cost excluding flights to/from SA, what category of expenses were highests and how many people were travelling together?

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Well done. My I ask impolite question - how much did it cost excluding flights to/from SA, what category of expenses were highests and how many people were travelling together?

no worries. actually i had wanted to share details earlier on, but everyone's africa itinerary can be so different, thus i'm not sure if details of my trip will help or just become info overload..

it's 8k for 2pax, excluding all flights. our accom are quite budget/basic though..

2k for zimbabwe/zambia
5k for safari
1k+ for cape town

the main expenses (for 2 pax) are:
zbw/zambia - budget hotel (usd179/night) cheetah walk (USD240), sunset cruise (USD160), vic falls entrance fees from both sides (usd100) and lotsa tipping expected

safari - elephant plains (sgd1k+/night), rest camps (sgd300+/night incl conservation fees)

cape town - nothing in particular

Last edited:

tulipkiss

Reaction score
anyway, just my 2cents on the safaris.. personally, if i can only do 1 place, i would choose the private reserve (or rather, sabi sands elephant plains since that's the only accom i tried)

EP
to begin with, the room is much much better (more luxurious). i know i'm on a safari trip..but i'm just not used to sleeping together with many creepy crawlies, which was what happened in our rest camp accom.

the private reserve game drive group is much smaller and more intimate, everyone can hear the stories our ranger shared and interact with each other.

we stop for wine (sunset drive) and coffee+rusks (sunrise drive) when there're not much sightings which is a nice experience.

the rangers communicate with each other on 'rare' sightings like a leopard or its cubs, lioness, male lion etc and will ask the group if we are interested to 'queue' for it (and of cos we all want! and he brought us to it despite being near the end of drive.)

i know sighting boils down to luck, but i think a private reserve area is smaller and thus higher chance to find the rare wildlife that's in the area? and with the intercom system between the rangers, there're more updates n info shared - thus sighting seems more "guaranteed". of cos, that's if you're interested to see certain wildlife to begin with.. if your interest is only in elephants and giraffes, KNP should suffice!

i think EP is 1 of the cheaper luxury suites in sabi sands? it may be 1k+ a night, but full boarding with all activities inclusive, it's not that much more expensive than staying at a rest camp bungalow and adding all the activities separately.

KNP
our game drive at lower sabie didn't go well unfortunately.. so boring that my husband actually fell asleep. right from the start, the guide kept disclaiming that sightings depends on luck - we may see nothing at all. i believe we all understand that la, but still, quite a wet blanket to hear it EMPHASIZED at the start of the drive. we saw only zebras, giraffes, warthogs and birds.. (n impalas of cos).

the guide at skukuza was fun - some guests jokingly begged him to show us a rhino, or better still, a rhino giving birth, or a gorilla hanging around a giraffe's neck haha! he politely remind them that there're no gorillas, but he'll see if we're lucky enough to meet a rhino. (such positivity!) and we met a rhino indeed! law of attraction if i may say!

Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Which airline is best to go to Africa bros? Advise please. Thanks!

Anywhere in Africa or South Africa particular?

SQ flies to JNB directly and then at CPT. The best option in terms of timewise/schedule because it leaves at 1:30AM and arrives at 6AM local time. If you can sleep during the flight, it will give you full day ahead.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
no worries. actually i had wanted to share details earlier on, but everyone's africa itinerary can be so different, thus i'm not sure if details of my trip will help or just become info overload..

it's 8k for 2pax, excluding all flights. our accom are quite budget/basic though..

Thanks for sharing. Yes, costs depends on one's preferences and everyone's preferences are different. And 'cheap safari' is oxymoron, even if you do self-drive in Kruger.

South Africa is surprisingly cheap destination of you think about good AirBnB accommodations and food/dining. But as soon as you start going/staying into parks, costs starts to go up and for private game reserves it just skyrockets.

I personally have no problems staying at camp as long as place is clean and you won't discover cockroaches inside your bed. Problem is that inside desert/wilderness getting this done is increasingly difficult and seems not relevant for people who stay at camps. At the same time I am not ready paying 5x of the price for staying at the lodge, so that's why decision to stay outside of the park was made.

But overall, despite the fact that it was the most expensive vacation ever, no complaints.

lucif3l

Reaction score
Anyone can suggest good rental campervan or 4wd from cape town?

Anyone can suggest good rental campervan or 4wd from cape town? I have read a lot posts from tripadvisor, but mostly is very bad reviews on credit card fraudulent charge after return the car, even companies like avis

Google also have a lot of car rental companies' fake reviews:(

Since i have limited days from 19 -28 Apr, i intend to drive from cape town to port Elizabeth , to visit addo elephants park. and drive back to cape town.

Tommy_dbt

Reaction score

2k for zimbabwe/zambia
5k for safari
1k+ for cape town

the main expenses (for 2 pax) are:
zbw/zambia - budget hotel (usd179/night) cheetah walk (USD240), sunset cruise (USD160), vic falls entrance fees from both sides (usd100) and lotsa tipping expected

safari - elephant plains (sgd1k+/night), rest camps (sgd300+/night incl conservation fees)

cape town - nothing in particular
Thank you for sharing.

We had a similar trip as well. :)

klavier

Reaction score
Try searching 'by particular date' (and set the earliest day you will arrive) and you can see availability of all accoms from that date onwards for ~2weeks.

Availability tend to fluctuate drastically 1-5weeks before the actual day - not sure why, ppl make last min changes?? Understand from Sanpark forum that you'd probably be able to get the camp location or room type you want nearer to date.

I booked tent n hut initially (as everything else were sold out when I was making reservation 3 months prior to travel period). 2-3 weeks prior to travel date, I managed to change rest camps (did by phone call for this) and also upgrade the accom type (did through the website) many many times lol - as soon as a better accom type becomes avail, i change it. Managed to stay in the river view luxury bungalows in the end.

So, just keep monitoring the availability site if you can't get your ideal accom at this point of time.

I would suggest to register on that website's forum section and ask your question there and read some sticky topics. People there are very friendly and willing to help.

Thank you tulipkiss and invisible for your advice.
I have just taken the plunge and booked my flight tickets. Due to cost savings, I opted for transit flights via Emirates.

Will go ahead to book my KNP accommodations later today and plan the rest of my trip soon!

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone can suggest good rental campervan or 4wd from cape town?

Camperwans and 4wd are two distinct categories and usually reasons to pick up one of them are quite the opposite for another.

Are there any specific reasons why you consder 4wd or camperwan?

minamikaze

Reaction score
My wife and I got back from a nearly month-long Africa trip in Dec 2018. Spent about close to 2 weeks in South Africa (including a side trip to Lesotho and Swaziland), and the rest in Zimbabwe/Zambia/Botswana/Ethiopia. Pretty epic trip and I got to say, South Africa is easily our favorite among the bunch (perhaps one of our top 3 favorite countries to visit in the world). And yes, SA is relatively cheap, perhaps surprisingly so (though we did do lots of activities, and it all added up).

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
SA is relatively cheap, perhaps surprisingly so (though we did do lots of activities, and it all added up).
Agree. But as soon as you start doing parks and safari - it will hit the budget. Self driving/lodging/dining/food is quite cheap.

BTW, other african countries, if you want comfort, would but several times more expensive. Was told that Okavango Delta for example and Namibia/Botswana I need to put aside US $500 per person per day budget. Which is 10x the amount (for two) I am willing to pay.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.