u.s. network tv shows renewal/cancellation status

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bad judge (nbc)

jJu5YlA.jpg

cancellation assessment
getting the hammer

nbc likes aunties. the mysteries of laura’s debra messing and now kate walsh. nbc won’t get the young crowd. so, it’s bye bye, judge.

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

gracepoint (fox)

q24Fb00.jpg

cancellation assessment
miniseries. enuff said.

didn’t see the original. cop show. limited series. one-off, if no second season?

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

mulaney (fox)

DCwB8TI.jpg

cancellation assessment
don’t see season two for this.

this is no seinfeld or anywhere close.

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

arrow (cw)

ApUp8cb.jpg

renewed
cancellation assessment
season two very likely / sure renewal

not fantastic but enjoyable. got hook but typical actioner.
likeable cast but so-so visuals.
update: can't see this being cancelled.

Last edited:

johnlzr

Reaction score
Disagree on this. It is a shared Universe with Arrow and both did very well in terms of ratings. They also scored very high on rotten tomatoes compared to AoS which scored very badly. However, AoS likely to continue even if ratings becomes super chui.

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
paiseh, not sure wat the disagreement abt. :o

the flash will be renewed. gotham too. returning shows like arrow and m.a.o.s., me bo chap liao. my cancellation assessment is focused on new shows and based largely on feel. not ratings. and usually, my feel will equate to viewership. yes, sometimes there r exceptions like red band society and possibly scorpion. :s13:

btw, last year, me assessed dat m.a.o.s. would be renewed right from the start despite its so so tv quality.

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

cristela (abc)

138zRDy.jpg

cancellation assessment
either way for now.

abc is into multiculturalism comedies this season. first with black-ish and next year with fresh off the boat. not sure what to make of it. rom coms bombed. so… :s8:

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

jane the virgin (cw)

PIPtaEj.jpg

renewed
cancellation assessment
good chance for renewal / sure renewal?

haven’t fallen in luv with jane yet. but liking her already.
reminiscent of ugly betty. off with the narrator, please.
update: cw 1st golden globes nominations

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

marry me (nbc)

6k1tNof.jpg

cancellation assessment
either way for now / renewal by $ / uncertain now

too much drama for a 'romance' comedy. but ppl find :s22: drama, funny.
update: money talks

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

constantine (nbc)

un34zOm.jpg

cancellation assessment
either way but leaning to the axe / cancellation is nigh!

how can such genre be so bland. makes the most boring episode of supernatural look :s12:
even castiel looks hotter than constantine. :s13: will zed save this? don't think so for now.
update: probably already cancelled. juz doing the pr thing.

Last edited:

Smartypants

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

gracepoint (fox)

jQZPgFu.jpg

cancellation assessment
miniseries. enuff said.

didn’t see the original. cop show. limited series. one-off, if no second season?

Not sure why US remade UK series Broadchurch with the same cast. As if US don't have enough edgy crime thrillers already.

constantine (nbc)

ezNoe6r.jpg

cancellation assessment
either way but leaning to the axe

how can such genre be so bland. makes the most boring episode of supernatural look :s12:
even castiel looks hotter than constantine. :s13: will zed save this? don't think so for now.

Never understood what the hype was about. This looked doomed from the start. The trailers only confirmed my suspicions.

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure why US remade UK series Broadchurch with the same cast. As if US don't have enough edgy crime thrillers already.

actually, they don't. dat's y all the remakes, reboots and re-imaginations.

Never understood what the hype was about. This looked doomed from the start. The trailers only confirmed my suspicions.

any kind of adaptation from another medium is usually hot potato.

Smartypants

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, they don't. dat's y all the remakes, reboots and re-imaginations.

any kind of adaptation from another medium is usually hot potato.

Different media, different writers. Never mind the blond hair, the trenchcoat, these are all but superficial (I do not even care about the lack of chain smoking). The writers for Hellblazer were what made the real difference. There are good batman comics (frank miller, grant morrison), and there are crap ones (most of the rest). I'm not gonna blindly read all of them just because it's batman.

One can only survive on comic book hype for so long before one gets called out for how shallow one's series be.

The series always seemed more like an adaptation of the movie Constantine rather than of the graphic novel Hellblazer (in fact, the movie was based on a Garth Ennis plotline and was arguably a more faithful adaptation of the novel).

Having said that, US dramas/sitcoms have a tendency to last way beyond their expiry date. Constantine will probably drag on into Season Two. Gotham will probably last at least three seasons, as will The Flash. Sad but true.

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Having said that, US dramas/sitcoms have a tendency to last way beyond their expiry date. Constantine will probably drag on into Season Two. Gotham will probably last at least three seasons, as will The Flash. Sad but true.

must remember dat the writers will push as much as they can to stretch watever trashy stuff because if a show doesn't get renewed, they become jobless.

one thing me can't do is guess how many seasons a show will last. assessing cancellation or renewal of new shows, dat me can do. :o will hv a clearer picture on constantine's fate this saturday. gotham and the flash r sure renewals.

can't comment on constantine adaptation because me no read the comics.

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the mccarthys (cbs)

CmnUWoC.jpg

cancellation assessment
one seasoner

is this family sitcom made in the 1990s? :s11: hello?! it’s already 2014. :s22:

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

state of affairs (nbc)

yNyublP.jpg

cancellation assessment
potentially one seasoner

in comparison with homeland, it's easy to spot what's good tv and what's bad. sadly, this show is a mixed bag of everything good.

Last edited:

mgsten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

prematurely cancelled shows.

TPCqq07.jpg

hieroglyph (fox)

XMFH4Zf.jpg

emerald city (nbc)

JoskTfD.jpg

mission control (nbc)

OAGzIXf.jpg

the unbreakable kimmy schmidt (nbc)

ck0PQIb.jpg

members only (abc)

:s22:

Last edited:

我猜我猜我猜猜猜

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

constantine (nbc)

ezNoe6r.jpg

cancellation assessment
either way but leaning to the axe

The "Friday night death slot" is a perceived graveyard slot in American television. It implies that a television program in the United States scheduled on Friday evenings (typically, between 8:00 and 11:00 p.m. ET) is destined for cancellation.

The term possibly began as a reflection of certain shows' dominance of Friday night in the 1980s and 1990s, which condemned to death any television show scheduled opposite those programs.[1][2][3] Today, it reflects the belief that Americans rarely watch television on Friday or Saturday nights, thereby removing from the household the most lucrative demographic for advertisers.

Friday night death slot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.