Looking to get Garmin Fenix 5X

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as the title suggests, i'm intending to get this watch.

anyone has any experience using it ?

What about the battery care given that it is embedded and so not user replaceable ? have to go back to Garmin ?

radon

Reaction score

What about the battery care given that it is embedded and so not user replaceable ? have to go back to Garmin ?

Battery not user replaceable, need to go back Garmin as with previous version.

bodymasterboy

Reaction score

my observations based on knowing someone who uses one (he's a big show-off too): =:p

it's a hefty watch, both in size and weight.... the 5x is best suited to those with large diameter wrists. make sure you have at least a feel of an actual unit before you decide to buy. if you're using it as a 24/7 activity tracker, the weight of a dumbbell on your wrist will quickly get old =:p

as with all wrist-worn optical heart rate sensors, heart rate readings can be inaccurate when the watch is not worn snugly while recording an activity, and that would mean the advanced metrics shown on garmin connect would also be off..... since they are based on calculations from the recorded heart rates during the activity. the best strategy is to wear it slightly loose for normal use, and tighten it snugly when recording an activity. :o

you could switch to using a chest strap based heart rate sensor which would tend to be more reliable.... but chest straps also need to be snug for readings to be accurate.:o

the battery replacement is basically a swap for a refurbished device of the same specs (including color) by the service center. so that also means you're not paying just for the cost of a new battery and service charge, but for an entire unit. :s22:

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my observations based on knowing someone who uses one (he's a big show-off too): =:p

it's a hefty watch, both in size and weight.... the 5x is best suited to those with large diameter wrists. make sure you have at least a feel of an actual unit before you decide to buy. if you're using it as a 24/7 activity tracker, the weight of a dumbbell on your wrist will quickly get old =:p

as with all wrist-worn optical heart rate sensors, heart rate readings can be inaccurate when the watch is not worn snugly while recording an activity, and that would mean the advanced metrics shown on garmin connect would also be off..... since they are based on calculations from the recorded heart rates during the activity. the best strategy is to wear it slightly loose for normal use, and tighten it snugly when recording an activity. :o

you could switch to using a chest strap based heart rate sensor which would tend to be more reliable.... but chest straps also need to be snug for readings to be accurate.:o

the battery replacement is basically a swap for a refurbished device of the same specs (including color) by the service center. so that also means you're not paying just for the cost of a new battery and service charge, but for an entire unit. :s22:

i've took the plunge and bought 2, 1 for my wife and me. From a weight perspective it is surprisingly light given I was coming from a G-shock full chrome metal Chrono. Had a struggling with familiarisation with the menus and stuff but find the software on the phone and watch pretty easy to use.

the one that impresses me is the direct synch with Strava - I now only need to start an activity, stop and save it and it goes straight to Strava.

Still exploring but all looks good.

radon

Reaction score
i've took the plunge and bought 2, 1 for my wife and me. From a weight perspective it is surprisingly light given I was coming from a G-shock full chrome metal Chrono. Had a struggling with familiarisation with the menus and stuff but find the software on the phone and watch pretty easy to use.

the one that impresses me is the direct synch with Strava - I now only need to start an activity, stop and save it and it goes straight to Strava.

Still exploring but all looks good.

U can look @ https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5x

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
if i get it on amazon, does the local warentty cover it?

you should check with amazon if the warranty is international (which means the local distributor will handle any warranty claims). otherwise, you would probably have to send the product back to amazon for any warranty service.

http://www.garmin.com.sg/support/warranty/
from para. 12:

International Purchases: A separate warranty may be provided by international distributors for devices purchased outside Singapore depending on the country. If applicable, this warranty is provided by the local in-country distributor and this distributor provides local service for your device. Distributor warranties are only valid in the area of intended distribution.

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Comex selling, can see 5 and 5X

Best denki giving 10% about 100 bucks off
so 5S - glass is about 809
5S sapphire is 899 instead of 999
5X is 989

the middle model, the normal 5 is not selling

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
actually, 10% discount is quite typical for small local retailers.... i normally check prices with parisilk at holland village before deciding if the promotional prices at the computer fairs are worth it

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, 10% discount is quite typical for small local retailers.... i normally check prices with parisilk at holland village before deciding if the promotional prices at the computer fairs are worth it

parisilk at holland village cheaper?

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
parisilk at holland village cheaper?

you'll need to ask them.

during the tenure the previous distributor, that was the place i usually got the best quote, apart from the computer fairs (where the previous distributor themselves would have a booth and offer a better deal).

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
oh yeah.... there's also a facebook group for garmin users in singapore called "own my garmin" - i believe they organize group buys for discounted prices as well.... :o

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know of a place (official retailer) which sells much cheaper than retail... if anyone wants to buy garmin can pm me. (no I earn no commission! but was pure luck I 'found' them).

igarashi

Reaction score
Sorry steal thread abit.

Are all Garmin sport watch able to receive notification from HP, like whatsapp ?
Happen to saw the new Instinct, quite tempted to get it.

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry steal thread abit.

Are all Garmin sport watch able to receive notification from HP, like whatsapp ?
Happen to saw the new Instinct, quite tempted to get it.
Based on my experiences with fenix, yes it does. Even a low end simple Huawei fitness band can receive notifications. I dun see why this watch doesn't.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.