getting married, how much money is needed?

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@bro slim - word of advice.. 3500 for bridal package is quite low.. u gotta budget at least 2x that .. reasoning? when you take bridal photos.. the bridal shop will ask you to top up photos.. i.e. package gives you 30free poses.. but shop will say .. top up 30poses at $60 per pose and get all the pictures .. so thats like 1.8k more top up..and trust me.. you will top up .. cause 30 poses in 1 album is VERY little.. ave is bout 60poses.. trust me.. i always very kiam abt this album thing but in the end when you see the shots and you like so many.. you would want your album to look nice nice also.. i've heard of some ppl who top up their 3k packages to 10k all on photos..
so word of advice.. you should budget alittle more than 3.5k

yup i have friends who took at local and spent 6k (alot of pages / poses) and also a particular friend who spent 30k for overseas shoot.

Bottomline is to know how much budget can u spend when your budget is tight. Seriously spending so much on photos is :s22:, there are more meaningful ways of spending like housing.

We just need a no frills can make it de photoshoot + AD can le.

Lastly how many times do you view your album after the wedding?

IMO it is more something to "show off" to friends & relatives nia :s7:

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, not everybody wanna spend so much on photos, and besides how many times u will actually take the time to look at it over and over again. Eventually it's just gonna be chucked aside for long time. Rather spend the money on more meaningful things like housing matters, a nice honeymoon trip or even save the $ for baby's stuff.

i would say 10 out of 10 of my friends (including one couple who spent 30k for overseas shoot) didnt touch it again after their wedding.

And they range from being married for 2 to 6 years now. :D

So everyone said the same thing, dont spend so much on PS. (excluding the 30k couple since they are ASK, so $$ is not an issue for them)

Civician

Reaction score
3.5k can get a basic bridal package
do take note nowaday they don't include actual day photography/videography & bridal car but they do provide bridal car deco.
As an estimate of my wedding breakdown:-

Bridal package: $3.5K including AD photography (service only) w/o bridal car
Bridal Car: Use own
Bridal misc (eg. hidden charge or extra photo): $500
AD videography: $1.7K
Proposal Ring: $4K
Wedding Band: $2K
Pin Jin: $2K
Grandparents AB: $400
Guo Da Li: 12 Oranges, 8 can Pig Trotters, 2 bottles of Martell, 10 xi bing
Tables requested by bride's parent: 4 or $4K
Banquet loss standby: $3K
Actual Day Ang Bao: $1K
Actual Day Buffet: $700
Brothers/Sister clothes (if required): $500
Mum's Clothes: $200
Total around: $23.5K

Kelly Red

Reaction score
This is a tough question, and open-ended.

You can spend as little or as much as you want. Some weddings cost $2 million, some cost $2000.

Seems like your wedding band is really pricey (2k). Most people I know, their band is much less than the engagment ring.

Can you save on anything?

SlimM880

Reaction score
Thanks bro ^^

saw your PM too :)

If you need any information for Mlaysia bridal packages or recommendation for my above information, do let me know I can provide you the shop name& address etc.

We have just collected all our photo albums & photos frames which also included DVD wedding montage.

Good luck & happy planning! :s13:

Civician

Reaction score
Nothing else to save really.
End day have to see if banquet can break even lo
Ya wedding band from love&co

This is a tough question, and open-ended.

You can spend as little or as much as you want. Some weddings cost $2 million, some cost $2000.

Seems like your wedding band is really pricey (2k). Most people I know, their band is much less than the engagment ring.

Can you save on anything?

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need any information for Mlaysia bridal packages or recommendation for my above information, do let me know I can provide you the shop name& address etc.

We have just collected all our photo albums & photos frames which also included DVD wedding montage.

Good luck & happy planning! :s13:

Congrats :)

was pretty busy thus couldnt reply yet lol...

also my missus is the one compiling the stuff :s13:

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well that all depends on the couple I guess. 950-1050 go where find? I got married recently so I know e prices. Unless u do weekdays or lunch n no additional alcohol. Ring 2.5-5k is considered very small, depends on whether she can accept. 2.5k is a small yellow stone from taka? My quotes r based on a slightly better range. If they r willing to go to the very basics & minimum like yr suggestion then so be it. But if u wanna set a target for yrself, u don't set at e lowest right. So a fair level to look at is from yrs to mine depending on their expectations lor.

i got married recently as well, actually 950-1050 for town area weekends still can find but of cos mus try to start searching much much earlier. i source for my banquet like obe yr early, took one yr to prepare my wedding.

15-20k is do-able provided the future mum in law is good and not so demanding heee.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my bridal abt 3.5k
ad pg & vg abt 3.6k. i took unique colors.
wedding car abt 500
wedd band 3k
proposal ring abt 4k
angbao prepared for gate crash and bro 1k
dinner lost abt 4k

this is for the actual day.
for the ping jin and guo da li all differs.
some one 4 dian jin, some no need.
some wan roasted pig.

try to neg nicely, its a joyous event.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yah u will get back some money from the tea drinking ceremony. ranges from 1-3k depends how rich yr family is. normally parents will give more. other than that its all from the angbao.

haha after the dinner surprisingly i wasnt that drunk, helped to calculate all the angbao and passed all the cash to my banquet manager. i held mine at orchard hotel and it falls within 950-1050 on a weekend, free flow red wine and beer. free printing of wedding cards.

marnee

Reaction score
Just realised Forlino also caters for less than 20 tables.

Forlino is very nice but you probably wanna skip certain evenings like Fri/Sat Since Butter is rite next to it. Unless you guys dont mind your guest coming out & see the party pple.

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But seriously is it weird to have less than 20 tables.

Because as much as the parents say it's ok, sometimes it can get awkward that the guest list is so short.

Chlorpheniramine

Reaction score
My wedding:

Proposal ring: $3K. Bought it online after some research. Didn't bother about those so-called "norms" about how much to spend. Total bollocks, that's just meant to pressure you to spend more.

Wedding photo, gown, car etc package: can't recall, but didn't exceed $4k. We didn't want the album, so we negotiated to have raw soft copies of ALL photos taken instead. The album's a waste of space anyway. We can do our own photoshopping and print our own album for a fraction of the price if we really want. The shop still tried to sell us an album afterwards, but we didn't take it up, of course.

Banquet: 18 tables, around $800 per table at Peony Jade. ROM done on the spot. We were prepared to pay the full amount from our own pockets as we were reluctant to let our guests pay for our wedding. Still we were obligated to accept their angbaos, and there was some excess, which went to our parents on both sides.

Actual day photography: done by friends, gave them each a nice angbao, but they all returned it in one form or other. Same goes for all the rest who helped out.

Hotel suite booked separately: around $500

Wedding bands bought in JB: $400. The exact same thing was being sold in local shops for double the price. Seems they all buy from the same sources, put it in their boxes, and call it their own.

Roast pig: $388. This was done 'for fun'.

We didn't bother with the gatecrash rubbish (god knows where that silly practice came from).

Seriously, do not overspend on useless things like rings. Don't go for an expensive banquet if all you're doing is making your guests feel obligated to pay more. Save where you can. You'll need the money to help you start a new life together.

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Because as much as the parents say it's ok, sometimes it can get awkward that the guest list is so short.

i have like 8-10.

nothing weird.

You wouldnt want to invite any tom dick harry and only for them to fly aeroplane on that day.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i attended a 18 tables one. seems normal to me.

mine had 44 tables, u will have a crazy time during table to table photo taking.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.