Proposal Ring - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mero_cwj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 2.5 to 3k, if it were me I would not get a super ideal or solasfera, would probably go for a larger carat weight ideal

But if your SO really wants a JP diamond, then bo pian lah :s13:

chocolate&cookies

Reaction score
More or less confirm already. Why im asking is because there seemed to be diff ways a guy propose.

1. By surpise, without her getting to choose the ring...got chance will buy the wrong size

2. By surprise with some help to secretly get the ring size.. Incase get wrong size.

3. Bring gf go choose ring when the girl said "yes" ...but then did the guy propose without a ring?

4. Bring gf go choose ring, propose after getting the ring.

Im leaning towards proposing without ring but that seemed weird.
My SO did 4! And thinking back, i'm really happy he did that. I'm very satisfied with what i chose for myself as he told me that the design he wld have chosen is not something that i wld have preferred. (Of cos if he chose it by himself, i wld still love it but it's just not the design i like). Haha. My friend wldnt want to choose her own engagement ring though. So i think it also depends on ur gf.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

marclgw

Reaction score
Comments required from you gurus point of view (all base on JP Super Ideal Cut);
1. 0.68 D VS 1 - $Y
2. 0.74 E VS 2 - $Y + 950
3. 0.75 E VS 1 - $Y +1450

My understanding is that clarity cannot be seen by the naked eye.
In fact, colour and HCA are more of the concern.
Please spare me your 2 cents if i should drop the colour to F.

I've tried identifying between E & F and i cannot really tell the difference be it if i look from the crown or the pavillion side.

marclgw

Reaction score
I've checked with them and they did a re-scope for me.
SrGXGrp.jpg

Looks much better...
Also have a 1.1 to compare.. this is the aset scope
UDxooYn.jpg

Which is better?

Propose the bottom one, especially due to the light return in the centre.

tiny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Comments required from you gurus point of view (all base on JP Super Ideal Cut);
1. 0.68 D VS 1 - $Y

I've tried identifying between E & F and i cannot really tell the difference be it if i look from the crown or the pavillion side.

Drop your colour to G or H. D/E/F are too expensive and cannot be seen by the naked eye. Those aunties want to 38 to compare will need equipment.

dearmisterj

Reaction score
1. 0.68 D VS 1 - $Y

how does the size look between (1) and (2)? any significant differences? If not just stick with (1). if yes, then you need to consider whether the additional $$ can justify the change in size. would not pick (3) for nuts :)

mero_cwj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Propose the bottom one, especially due to the light return in the centre.

Whether the center appears as red or green under ASET doesn't really matter... It is something that depends on the pavillion angle and not something that is indicative of whether the diamond has good or bad light return.

mero_cwj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. 0.68 D VS 1 - $Y

Unless you have eagle eyes, VS2 and above are 99% eye clean.

When you have the diamond set into a ring, D/E/F/G will all mostly look the same when viewed from a reasonable distance, especially since it is viewing top down (provided it is a quality cut). No one will be rude enough to push their face against the ring and scrutinise it.

H is a bit risky because some people can start to see the tint. Take G for value for money, F if you want to save some cash but want to remain in the colourless range (so that you can still say it's a colourless diamond).

The 38s will still criticise no matter what, unless you have a huge D IF super ideal quality diamond from a branded jeweller :s13:

marclgw

Reaction score
how does the size look between (1) and (2)? any significant differences? If not just stick with (1). if yes, then you need to consider whether the additional $$ can justify the change in size. would not pick (3) for nuts :)

For me, I can see the difference between 1 & 2 not exactly big difference but first look you can already differentiate.
Thinking if I should solicit with other private jewellers.

marclgw

Reaction score
Unless you have eagle eyes, VS2 and above are 99% eye clean.

When you have the diamond set into a ring, D/E/F/G will all mostly look the same when viewed from a reasonable distance, especially since it is viewing top down (provided it is a quality cut). No one will be rude enough to push their face against the ring and scrutinise it.

H is a bit risky because some people can start to see the tint. Take G for value for money, F if you want to save some cash but want to remain in the colourless range (so that you can still say it's a colourless diamond).

The 38s will still criticise no matter what, unless you have a huge D IF super ideal quality diamond from a branded jeweller :s13:

I didn't actually compared G yesterday though, but D,E,F flip 360 under direct light/Sheltered light it feels the same, so I suppose G may be similar? Need to revisit and see see look look already

marclgw

Reaction score
Drop your colour to G or H. D/E/F are too expensive and cannot be seen by the naked eye. Those aunties want to 38 to compare will need equipment.

Okay okay, thank you for your suggestion. Wondering how big is the difference though.... All in all after looking at all the replies Colour and Clarity can be compromised a little since cannot be seen by the naked eye

naxnaxnax

Reaction score
I didn't actually compared G yesterday though, but D,E,F flip 360 under direct light/Sheltered light it feels the same, so I suppose G may be similar? Need to revisit and see see look look already

Personally, I feel DEF are very similar. No point paying for a D if a F is available. But once you go down to G, you can see a slight yellow tint, which is not obvious when viewed from the top, but becomes obvious when you look from the bottom of the diamond. However, once you set a G diamond, most people will only look at the diamond from the top.

At the end of the day, it depends on your comfort level and budget... Some people need their diamond to be a clean crisp white (DEF), and some are okay with a slight tint that's not obvious when viewed from the top (G).

mero_cwj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel DEF are very similar. No point paying for a D if a F is available. But once you go down to G, you can see a slight yellow tint, which is not obvious when viewed from the top, but becomes obvious when you look from the bottom of the diamond. However, once you set a G diamond, most people will only look at the diamond from the top.

At the end of the day, it depends on your comfort level and budget... Some people need their diamond to be a clean crisp white (DEF), and some are okay with a slight tint that's not obvious when viewed from the top (G).

Colour is graded from the side, so the yellow tint is most obvious when viewing the diamond in profile. This may be an issue if you intend to set the diamond with 4 prongs because more of the profile is visible. Depending on individual colour sensitivity, the yellow tint for a G colour diamond may be visibly perceived when viewing the diamond in profile in such a setting. If the same diamond is set in a 6 prong setting, more of the diamond's profile is obscured by the prongs and this may reduce the perception.

From the top, it is very hard to tell colour grades apart because of the fire and scintillation of the diamond.

If you want a diamond in the colourless range, definitely agree that you should take a F colour diamond if it is available, because the premium for D and E do not translate into a readily perceptible difference.

olivesandT

Reaction score
For those that have proposed or are proposing, how do you guys choose which your ring design without getting her involved?

I narrowed some ring design concepts from JP's blog. Not sure if it will turn out good when combined together.

I'm thinking of customizing a bunny instead of the owls like design 1. Then at the gap between the bunnies, put a heart shape or initials like design 2.

For the wedding band, it will be like design 3 to slot in the diamond ring between the bands so that it can be worn as 1 set. Is this common?

Design 1
37.jpg

Design 2
3%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Design 3
V4b.jpg

dearmisterj

Reaction score
For those that have proposed or are proposing, how do you guys choose which your ring design without getting her involved?

I narrowed some ring design concepts from JP's blog. Not sure if it will turn out good when combined together.

I'm thinking of customizing a bunny instead of the owls like design 1. Then at the gap between the bunnies, put a heart shape or initials like design 2.

For the wedding band, it will be like design 3 to slot in the diamond ring between the bands so that it can be worn as 1 set. Is this common?

Design 1
37.jpg

Design 2
3%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Design 3
V4b.jpg

first and foremost, do you know what type of ring your girlfriend likes? vintage vs simple classic, four prongs vs six prongs, round diamond vs princess cut vs octagon, side diamonds or no side diamonds? conceptualising a ring to us guys is very different from what girls may think. when i first started looking, i was also bought over by the fancy and unique designs.. that was until my so told me she wanted one that was simple, minimalistic and classic.

no doubt there are girls out there who fancy the vintage, intricate look.. but i definitely think you need to at least find some way to sound her out on her preference. after all it is not a $100 ring that she can just chuck aside if she doesnt like the design.

my two cents :)

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got back my $200 cash rebate from using it for 2 separate payments at jannpaul using uob one card. Totally the awesome!

Flaming

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Design 1
37.jpg

Design 2
3%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Design 3
V4b.jpg

unless your gf specifically mentioned that she like owls on the ring, then get it. Else if you don't know yet and want to surprise her with your proposal. please keep it to those more conservative yet timeless designs.

viberzdae

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
heart-shaped-diamond-butterfly-twist-solitaire-ring-in-14K-rose-gold-FD1008HTR-NL-RG.jpg

I am looking at something like this. Is it okay? Quite worried about the heart shape diamond but it does help me save quite a bit from the regular oval shape.

And the rose gold ring? Now is nice la rose gold but wonder if 20years down the road, rose gold still nice or not. Haha

olivesandT

Reaction score
unless your gf specifically mentioned that she like owls on the ring, then get it. Else if you don't know yet and want to surprise her with your proposal. please keep it to those more conservative yet timeless designs.

If I do that design, I'll change the owls to bunnies. Its has a special meaning for us :o

first and foremost, do you know what type of ring your girlfriend likes? vintage vs simple classic, four prongs vs six prongs, round diamond vs princess cut vs octagon, side diamonds or no side diamonds? conceptualising a ring to us guys is very different from what girls may think. when i first started looking, i was also bought over by the fancy and unique designs.. that was until my so told me she wanted one that was simple, minimalistic and classic.

no doubt there are girls out there who fancy the vintage, intricate look.. but i definitely think you need to at least find some way to sound her out on her preference. after all it is not a $100 ring that she can just chuck aside if she doesnt like the design.

my two cents :)

Well, I know she likes bling bling stuff. Haven't thought into much about all the small details but even if I try to think about it myself, I don't think I can give a definite answer.. haha. My appt with JP is next week. I'll see what they'll advise me.

Another option is for me to propose with just the diamond first without the setting. Then after, I'll let her choose the design. Has anyone done this? But I feel it kinda takes the wow factor away..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.